Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2009, 04:49 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,039,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
A job is a necessary evil in my book.

Yea, I have herd that since I was a little kid, but it's a lie. If work is evil, or you don't like it, then you (not specifically you Serria) have a problem. Furthermore, I would never marry or date somebody who hated their work; it spills over into the relationship.

Regardless, Americans better wake up, this place is turning into the land of the haves and have nots with little in between.

YouTube - midnighttutor's Channel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 05:09 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
Story short, he told me: "you either get used, you use yourself, or you use other people, but it's up to you to decide what you want!"
You know, Morphy, if I am to be used, it really doesn't make much of a differentce to me if I'm used by myself or somebody else... To me a business is truly a business if one clears at least 100K after taxes. Even that's not too impressive considering business owners have to pay for their own health insurance and more likely than not have no retirement savings. Anything paying less than that that also would waste my evenings and weekends is not worth it in my book. Naturally, like anything else, to each their own...

Quote:
Not to derail this thread, but if it was the 1950's I would punch a time-clock.
Well, I wouldn't advocate jobs involving punching clocks, of course.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:37 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,039,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
You know, Morphy, if I am to be used, it really doesn't make much of a differentce to me if I'm used by myself or somebody else... To me a business is truly a business if one clears at least 100K after taxes. Even that's not too impressive considering business owners have to pay for their own health insurance and more likely than not have no retirement savings. Anything paying less than that that also would waste my evenings and weekends is not worth it in my book. Naturally, like anything else, to each their own...
You're absolutely right Sierra, there is a certain dollar amount that a business should strive for otherwise you're better off getting a job. Keep in mind however that certain businesses generate income much easier then others.

For example, a person selling little wiglets can easily net 200k because there is no limit on how many individual sales transactions he/she can do; also, a business selling wiglets can easily duplicate the same business by opening up another store down the street and get some high school kid to duplicate the same sales transactions.

However, a self employed plumber has a limit on how many individual sales transactions he can handle in a year because the plumber is selling his personal physical skills. Furthermore, it's VERY hard for the plumber to duplicate himself because the skills to complete the job are very specialized and laborious. So with that being said, if the plumber can only make 80k a year, on a full schedule; then that's all he can do and his business is a just a viable as the next mans.

Last edited by Morphous01; 11-08-2009 at 06:56 PM..

Old 11-08-2009, 07:21 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,967 times
Quote:
You're absolutely right Sierra, there is a certain dollar amount that a business should strive for otherwise you're better off getting a job. Keep in mind however that certain businesses generate income much easier then others.

For example, a person selling little wiglets can easily net 200k because there is no limit on how many individual sales transactions he/she can do; also, a business selling wiglets can easily duplicate the same business by opening up another store down the street and get some high school kid to duplicate the same sales transactions.

However, a self employed plumber has a limit on how many individual sales transactions he can handle in a year because the plumber is selling his personal physical skills. Furthermore, it's VERY hard for the plumber to duplicate himself because the skills to complete the job are very specialized and laborious. So with that being said, if the plumber can only make 80k a year, on a full schedule; then that's all he can do and his business is a just a viable as the next mans.
I love how far ranging this thread has become .. now we're discussing business models, eh? Morph, I see what you're getting at, but I want to point out to you that there is a limit to the sales transactions in the wiglet business. The limitations are defined by the supply of the wiglets. You can't produce an unlimited supply of wiglets, can you? Production is limited by labor ... and you are limited by how quickly you can move the wiglets from the factory to your store to the customer.

Anyways, a job needn't be drudgery if someone really enjoys working. What kind of sick b*st*rd likes work more than lounging on a beach though?

Old 11-08-2009, 07:33 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
What kind of sick b*st*rd likes work more than lounging on a beach though?
I dunno... not ME!

Old 11-08-2009, 08:01 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
And the Antelope Valley in the high desert in California...

They say the demise of interaction of people in a neighborhood has to do with there being no porches, either. In these cookie-cutter suburbs everyone goes in their house or parks their car and automatically closes their garage doors, cutting them off from the rest of the world.
And here in Las Vegas, not only are there few if any porches, but the backyards are all walled with concrete cinder block walls where you can't even see your neighbors. Or see your neighbors fall and break a hip.

I once knew an elderly lady who fell and broke her hip in one of these typical backyards. Of course no one saw her, she was too weak to holler loud enough. Luckily, through perserverance, she survived. These backyards can be deathtraps.

I live in a townhouse complex with a similar set-up, and because of the height of the walls, I never see my neighbors. I sometimes hear them, but would they be offended if I stood on a ladder, peered over the wall, and said hello just once? Would they shoot me?

Last edited by tijlover; 11-08-2009 at 08:16 PM.. Reason: Add a line

Old 11-08-2009, 08:30 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Default Some thoughts

I finally got through reading most of these interesting, informative threads.

My thoughts:

Any housing developer should be held accountable for not building a house without a front porch, with stiff fines imposed.

As for conformity, parental role models are invaluable. I'm ever so thankful my Father was a rebel, individualistic, eccentric, not a conformist streak in his body. I inherited that.

If more Americans traveled to foreign countries (only 25% or more Americans hold passports) they could see with their eyes how much more attractive and people-oriented other cities in the world can be, and if enough see them, experience them, they might all come back and demand this and that from their own cities.

In Latin America they all have their main Plazas de Armas', which I always look forward to, spending an evening at these crowded plazas and a myriad of sitting benches, and oftentimes, live music. If the U.S. had been taken over by the Spanish, rather than the British, we might have them all in our cities today, large and small. Great gathering places.

I go along with the theory that the Government wants us to be isolated for a good reason. With everyone so isolated, Gov't officials can all sleep peacefully at night, never worrying for a minute about a revolution being formed somewhere.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:59 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
People are a risk. If you're trying to limit risk in your life, you also have to limit exposure to other people.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:31 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
I've been saying that all along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
People are a risk. If you're trying to limit risk in your life, you also have to limit exposure to other people.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:29 AM

1,322 posts, read 2,413,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheredoIlive? View Post
I and a friend of mine were discussing this the other day talking about how people just seem to lack "passion" anymore and they seem so emotionless and shut down. No one seems to care about anything, no causes no nothing. She told me her and sister were talking about this, how people have become so closed down in American society, afraid to open their mouths about anything, afraid to actually have an opinion and no emotions anymore. She said, People just do not have emotions anymore and I agreed!.
Maybe it's me, but I just don't see this.

I see the opposite of what you just said all of the time..

From the major:

• The guy was homeless for over five years. Instead of complain about his situation, he picked up a pen and some paper and became an international author. His name is Bruce Goldwell, and the book he wrote is called Dragon Keepers.
  • There's those three college women that saved the life of a fisherman..
  • ...or those two 27 year olds that went from nothing to having one of the biggest environmentally safe cleaning supply companies in the US.

To the minor:

• He's married, two kids, and out of work.. He was a manager at the whirlpool facility, making good money, but with the downsizing he lost his job and his house. Still, he volunteers everyday at Habitat for Humanity, helping build houses for other people. Why? Because he knows that if he didn't, someone worse off than him might never have a chance at anything better.
  • About a month ago, I saw a young man (18-19) in a grocery store standing in line behind an older lady (70's, I assume). She stood there, fumbling through her wallet. Apparently, she either lost her money or left it at home. The cashier had already rung everything up, and was about to take it all of, when the young man stepped forward and paid for the lady's purchases.
  • How about all those people who send the letters to our people in the military overseas?
  • Or the people that drop in dollar bills for a local charity that desperately need the money?
  • Or those people that'll stop and help you fix a flat tire when you're stranded on highway 75, without any help in sight?

Thing is, we're so concerned with our own lives and our own problems that we get into a routine. We work at the same places, eat at the same places, go out to the same places.. but that doesn't mean that we lack passion or that we've become emotionless drones. It just means that we're comfortable in our lives. But, whenever something comes along, most of us would not hesitate to take action, to show compassion for another.

Look just here, at this forum. How many people every day take time out of their lives to log in and try to help out another person in need?

Everyone has hopes and dreams, but much of the time, those hopes and dreams are put off until later because we have to take care of the things that are important first - like paying the rent, or putting food on the table, or making sure that we have enough gas to go to work. But within us, we still have that passion, that drive for life that has always been the catalyst of humanity. It's just waiting for an opportunity to be let loose.

All it takes is just a smile.. or a kind word.. and suddenly, the flood gates open.

Once you really start looking for it, it's there, everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates