Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2009, 11:58 PM

13,783 posts, read 26,195,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticatica View Post
We're not under the government's thumb. We're under the corporate thumb. Your bosses are your enemies.
Be sure to tell him that when he is signing your paycheck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 12:05 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,816,274 times
It is not really "the government's thumb." It is under the thumb of circles of corrupt individuals that can be in any field of business or any political group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
Yes, I completely agree.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:16 AM

1,659 posts, read 2,767,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Maaaan, I'm self employed. I left corporate America nearly 20 years ago to do my own thing. BTW I did enjoy working for small business owners. I found they could be more responsive, creative, and humane.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Maaaan, I'm self employed. I left corporate America nearly 20 years ago to do my own thing. BTW I did enjoy working for small business owners. I found they could be more responsive, creative, and humane.
OK, we can agree on this....we are self employed and I would have to agree that being part of a small, independently owned company is more of a family environment than big business. I thought you were talking about bosses across the board!

Old 11-08-2009, 12:29 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,816,274 times
They usually have to deal with less psychos. That is the secret. Less people, the better.

Quote:

Old 11-08-2009, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
They usually have to deal with less psychos. That is the secret. Less people, the better.
Haha...I have two psychos at work right now...the most we have ever had at the same time...

Old 11-08-2009, 07:46 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,422,807 times
The ideas that you were discussing here, about uninviting house fronts, about soul-less spaces, -- true, the architecture and space planning have so much to do with how life is going to be lived in those spaces. Apparently people tend to feel more comfortable with sidewalks with nooks and crannies, to stop here, to lean there, to sit down on this or that porch or at a cafe table. Lots of this was discussed in "The Economy of Cities":

The Economy of Cities: Amazon.ca: Jane Jacobs: Books

And another thing is, everything depends on the cheap oil, from food to mortgages to cars. What will happen with all those car-oriented communities when there is no cheap oil anymore?

Why Your World Is About to Get a Whole Lot Smaller: Amazon.ca: Jeff Rubin: Books

Old 11-08-2009, 08:06 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,176,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheredoIlive? View Post
I and a friend of mine were discussing this the other day talking about how people just seem to lack "passion" anymore and they seem so emotionless and shut down. No one seems to care about anything, no causes no nothing. She told me her and sister were talking about this, how people have become so closed down in American society, afraid to open their mouths about anything, afraid to actually have an opinion and no emotions anymore. She said, People just do not have emotions anymore and I agreed!.

I think I moved to the place on the planet with the least emotional people going. I do not think it is just me. Extreme reserved or stoic, even to show too much happiness among these stoics, seems to be threatening to them. By the way this area is far more upper class then where I used to live.

I gotta get out of this place because my personality DOES NOT FIT HERE!~ I actually had this lady here tell me, "I do not need friends, my family is enough" That was weird. She acted as though wanting to be someone's friend was the most evil thing a person could come up with. I do not understand these people!
Why our society values conformity - by Tim Bolton - Helium (http://www.helium.com/items/212939-why-our-society-values-conformity - broken link)
"On my planet 'to rest' is to rest, to cease using energy. To me it is quite illogical to run up and down on green grass using energy instead of saving it."

--Spock

"Irritating? Ah yes - one of your Earth emotions."

--Spock

We are becoming Vulcans

Old 11-08-2009, 08:17 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,335,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
yeah...those paychecks...just enough to keep you there.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:11 AM

943 posts, read 2,273,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
I honestly think much of our world (specifically my young generation) has become very shallow, not just in relation to material goods or appearance, but in general. I hear so many conversations and see so many friendships that barely skim the surface of anything. Maybe people are too caught up in their own lives to ask questions that go beyond the surface. I find myself unintentionally having deep conversations with people - strangers and close friends. We just start talking and I start asking questions and then they open up and start asking questions and voila - deep conversation. And it's funny sometimes because they almost look relieved that they can talk about deep topics.
I do that too, but you have to be careful. Ive had some get really offended, at your desire to talk about anything deep.

I usually just move on at that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates