U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 06:42 PM

38 posts, read 82,102 times

Advertisements

I have to ask u, americans, this question directly cause i want to know how the american society is.
Beyond the stereotypes of the tipical american, do you think there are too much racial tension, do you think blacks suffer lot of discrimination, or do you think there are a lot of victimism from them.
Blacks, latinos, asians, whites, do you really believe we have the same opportunities to find a job?

I have to admit, Russia is a tremendous racist country.Believe it or not black people who come to russia are often killed by their skin color, not only in russia, but ukraine and the rest of ex sovietic republics as well.
Im not racist but i recognise i feel more comfortable living with people who have same physical appeareance.Must be the genes.

What i want to know, (im not trying to offend anyone), is if you think racism is still alive.And if it is, do you think racial tension will be worse in the future?
Thx for ur replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 06:59 PM

28,906 posts, read 45,211,944 times
Well, any racism is too much.

That being said, I think that the television and movies you see give a highly inaccurate picture of the state of American racism. Today, the strides that have been made are enormous. Really, if racism were still endemic in the US do you think that Barack Obama would have been elected president?

If anything the racial climate is far, far more relaxed in the United States now. To be sure, there are still instances of racism here and there, but I think it has mostly vanished--particularly in its most virulent forms. And, no, I don't think it will resurface in the future.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:00 PM

2,637 posts, read 3,880,670 times
I have good Friends of most all races. My sons have even a more racially mixed group of Friends than I do. --Sometimes we get along fine. Sometimes we disagree. But at the end of the day, we are Friends, who just happen to be of different races. None of which we had anything to do with. The world is full of different Races, and I like it that way. But then, I like People in general.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:04 PM

8,293 posts, read 22,461,476 times
Yeah, I'd say that there's too much racism in the United States. I say that because any racism is too much.

Of course, it's also true that on one level racism is an individual thing. Governments cannot force individuals to not be racists.

Also, I honestly don't know if the United States has more or less racism than other countries. I suspect less, because there are so many various peoples of different races, cultures and backgrounds here.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:19 PM

7,136 posts, read 10,669,713 times
I think race is irrelevant to the vast majority of thoughtful Americans.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
Agreed, and is made an issue by a smaller percentage of people everyday. Judge a Man by His actions, not the color of his Skin, or the depth of his pockets.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:29 PM

8,293 posts, read 22,461,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
Hmmm... Got me scratchin' my chin on that one.

I definitely notice people's race, so in that case it's not irrelevant. But I do try very hard to not make blanket judgments or assumptions about people because of their race. So I don't know whether - in my case - that makes race irrelevant or not.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:35 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,088,829 times
Nah..I really dont think racism is a central problem anymore. I think you'd be surprised at how open minded the younger generation is willing to be. But if you prove yourself to be a negative stereotype then thats kind of your own fault.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:38 PM

Of course we all notice Race, weight, height, posture and a whole host of other things. But that doesn't mean that we automatically react in a negative way about it. Some do, and I understand that. But time will weed those folks out. "One Nation Under God." I know that's not PC now days, but sums up my hopes for my Sons future, if not my own.

Old 11-08-2009, 03:52 AM

13,295 posts, read 12,345,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianSky View Post
I have to ask u, americans, this question directly cause i want to know how the american society is.
Beyond the stereotypes of the tipical american, do you think there are too much racial tension, do you think blacks suffer lot of discrimination, or do you think there are a lot of victimism from them.
Blacks, latinos, asians, whites, do you really believe we have the same opportunities to find a job?
Search this forum for words like 'race', 'ethnicity', 'immigrant', 'black', 'arab', etc.

Read

Decide for yourself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates