Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2009, 06:35 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,487,771 times

Advertisements

Guys,don't drop the thread,we have unfortunate but significant deverlopments,
the shooting of 4 policemen in Wa...
Obviously,no bystander was carrying,otherwise the shooter would have a hard time to escape...

For one more time,it is proven that CC saves lives...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 08:07 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
Guys,don't drop the thread,we have unfortunate but significant deverlopments,
the shooting of 4 policemen in Wa...
Obviously,no bystander was carrying,otherwise the shooter would have a hard time to escape...

For one more time,it is proven that CC saves lives...
While I support CCW I think this statement is over-reaching at best. An officer was fighting back before succumbing to wounds. We weren't there and I think keyboard quarterbacking on this is in the very poorest of taste.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:04 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,462,974 times
there have been a few times when I have witnessed crimes being prevented because a third party was armed. but none of them had permits. Which reinforces my premise, that having a permit means little other than supply the gubment with money. It is always about the money. Words like "Safety" are just catch phrases. How could anyone argue against "Safety"?? A permit does not in and of itself, make a person "Safer".

Old 11-30-2009, 07:17 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,487,771 times
"Keyboard "what...?

I am just expressing my sorrow for the dead & the logical hypothesis that an armed bystander could intervene...

Old 11-30-2009, 10:01 AM

I often think, people don't trust them selves, and project that distrust to others. they don't feel competent, so others shouldn't either. ---I have a track record of being responsible. But yet I feel no need to be armed. I have to admit, I do have a pretty good left hook, from my younger years.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:35 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
"Keyboard "what...?

I am just expressing my sorrow for the dead & the logical hypothesis that an armed bystander could intervene...
I've neither read nor seen any proof to back up your so called "logical" hypothesis about CCW in this specific mass murder. I find you statment flawed and therefore not logical.

Mine is not an arguement against CCW. However, I think those that believe they can stop every murderer because they CCW have a false mindset and are likely unrealistic in the level of training needed. Those citizens who have been well trained, beyond that of the average LEO, would never make such claims about CCW as you have on this forum.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:41 AM

How many of our Heroes have we lost in the desert in the last Month?? where is all the concern for them, and their Families. At least the Cops died at home.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:50 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,506,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
How many of our Heroes have we lost in the desert in the last Month?? where is all the concern for them, and their Families. At least the Cops died at home.
Soldiers dying in the throes of war is a completely different scenario than police officers dying on their home turf. Soldiers head out every day with the intent to shoot and kill their enemy and know that their enemy intends to do the same. Police officers head out every day to serve and protect (which is a fallacy all it's own, but that belongs in another thread) its citizens. While they are prepared for the worst, they don't set out every day anticipating it.

The only similarity between the two is the devastation their loss of life leaves behind. Neither a slain soldier nor a slain police officer are higher up on the food chain of our pity. They both give and sadly, they both die protecting us. We mourn them ALL.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Soldiers dying in the throes of war is a completely different scenario than police officers dying on their home turf. Soldiers head out every day with the intent to shoot and kill their enemy and know that their enemy intends to do the same. Police officers head out every day to serve and protect (which is a fallacy all it's own, but that belongs in another thread) its citizens. While they are prepared for the worst, they don't set out every day anticipating it.

The only similarity between the two is the devastation their loss of life leaves behind. Neither a slain soldier nor a slain police officer are higher up on the food chain of our pity. They both give and sadly, they both die protecting us. We mourn them ALL.
I have the highest respect for them all. I just hear so little out cry about Our Soldiers plight in a foreign land. I would like them all home for Christmas.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:03 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,506,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
I have the highest respect for them all. I just hear so little out cry about Our Soldiers plight in a foreign land. I would like them all home for Christmas.
One has absolutely nothing to do with the other but I'm certain anyone reading this would love to have them home for Christmas, too. My future son-in-law is serving in Iraq at this time and along with thousands of other soldiers, he won't be home for Christmas either. Life away from family is but one small cost that is paid in the name of freedom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates