Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 03:54 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,461,781 times

Advertisements

Concealed carry has not been on the books here for to many years. But now that there has been some time go by, there are hard facts and figures to refer to. It may be a good Idea to re look at the law, and maybe tweak it some, to make it a little more user friendly. People with CC, didn't turn into a bunch of wild men, and shoot the place up, as many predicted. And attacks on persons, has come down. But I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 04:03 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
I strongly believe that self defense is an indisputable right. I have a CCW, in NV it cost me $100 bucks for the background check (funny that the $25 check when you buy a firearm does the same thing) I carry when we have to go to the city, round here, don't have to worry about concealing anything.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:27 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,910,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
Concealed carry has not been on the books here for to many years. But now that there has been some time go by, there are hard facts and figures to refer to. It may be a good Idea to re look at the law, and maybe tweak it some, to make it a little more user friendly. People with CC, didn't turn into a bunch of wild men, and shoot the place up, as many predicted. And attacks on persons, has come down. But I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
But that is logical thinking and logic doesn't work with the emotional crowd. For example, Tennessee recently voted to allow CC in restaurants that serve alcohol. The local Memphis paper wrote articles about it and people posted comments on the online versions. They were expecting people to shoot their server over cold food or slow service. But just over the state line in Mississippi, that law has been in place for years without incident. This fact was pointed out many, many times by many different people but you couldn't convince the majority of the anti-gun crowd that posted on that site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I strongly believe that self defense is an indisputable right. I have a CCW, in NV it cost me $100 bucks for the background check (funny that the $25 check when you buy a firearm does the same thing) I carry when we have to go to the city, round here, don't have to worry about concealing anything.
Mine was $137 cash (exact change) but it also included finger printing. I had to get fingerprinted and go through an FBI background check for my job so it wasn't a big deal. I was already in the system. But now, I don't have to go through the federal background check. I can just show my permit and make a purchase at my local gun shop.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:30 PM

All just to be able to defend ones self, because there is no one else to do it for us. I strongly object to fees or permits. they serve no purpose Other than to fatten the folks who have more of Our money than they know what to do with now. Lets shoot more 79million dollar rockets at the Moon.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:15 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,126,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
I live in Pa and have had a cwp for about 15 yrs. No training is required, but a fee of about 20 bucs and a background check is necessary. You cannot be a convicted felon, a habitual drunkard and must be free of mental illness, such as having been institutionalized.The permit is good for 5 yrs and is legal all over the state with the exception of Philadelphia and I am not sure why.I am getting older now and feel much safer carrying a pistol than without. I am a level headed person and would never shoot someone out of anger, only self defense. Also, I will not be dictated to by a bunch of bleeding hearts who want to take my gun away. If guns are ever outlawed, I will carry one anyway.
As a holder of a Concealed Weapons Permit in Florida we are permittted to carry concealed in 32 other states and one is PA. In PA we are only permitted to carry a handgun or pistol and our CWP permit does not honor other types of concealed weapons in that state.

The training required to carry in Florida can be conducted through an authorized program in a classroom consisting of around 1 hr or producing ones military DD-214.

Some restrictions are a person cannot have a record of being a felon etc etc and one item the form dwells on is rejecting a permit to one who has been convicted of abusing a family member such as ones wife.

In Florida a person does not need a permit to carry in a car as long as the weapon is not openly available to anyone in the auto. This means the weapon cannot be loaded and must be secured in a case in the trunk or a glove box. The applicant cannot renounce US citizenship, been dishonorably disharged from the military, had 2 DUI within the previous 3 years, a record of drug or alcohol abuse, being commited to a mental instituion and there are several more conditions that can make a person ineligible to carry in Florida.

At times some of us carry a few hundred to a thousand dollars and we find it necessary to carry our weapon of choice in a concealed fashion for protection.

A Florida a CWP is good for 7 years and we Vietnam Veterans believe in protecting our country from intruders, vandals or criminals and firmly believe we need to have a weapon to protect our loved ones.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy1 View Post
In Florida a person does not need a permit to carry in a car as long as the weapon is not openly available to anyone in the auto. This means the weapon cannot be loaded and must be secured in a case in the trunk or a glove box.
In MS, your car is an extension of your home. No permit required, the gun can be loaded and in easy reach of all occupants.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:36 PM

I feel a gun, locked in the trunk, may be of little use, in times of fast heart rates.

Old 11-13-2009, 06:09 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,278,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
I actually insisted and persisted and acquired a CCW in Southern California, Orange County some years ago. I was a registered gunsmith, and I showed the PD some of the custom rifles I carried to gun shows, engraved rifles worth about half a year's salary to a detective, and that I might well, and often did, stay in motels all by my lonesome.

So OK then. But... in addition to the usual NCIS and other background checks (IRS apparently), they told me to show up at the OC Shooting Center where a very gruff Sargeant had me demo loading and unloading the Smith J-Frame I brought along, and then had me shoot two cylinders worth (10 rounds) into a target on the rack system about 10 yards away, all within 90 seconds. You had to place all but one round into the 10" black. I did.

Then, he watched me holster it safely and handed me an OK to be handed in to the desk sarge on my way out.

My only beef now is that the states don't want to Federalize a CCW, as I believe most all states now allow it. There's some reciprocity, but not, for instance, Oregon and Washington, where I now live. And if I take a handgun down to California, even if it's safely locked in my automotive vault, unloaded, it has to be a "CA-approved"type", which my hi-cap Springfield Armories XD(M) is NOT.
So, I'm a felon if they find that particular gun, but not if they find my old J-Frame.

Makes sense, huh?
You should apply for a federal firearms license. I understand they are hard to get, but it would solve a lot of your problems. I understand some gun collectors have them so they can own fully operational machine guns, good luck!

Old 11-13-2009, 06:33 AM

FFL will let you buy and sell guns as a business (and in some states, it's the only way to sell) but it doesn't cover CC. Also, FFL licenses are in different classes. The Class III license is for full auto weapons. Federal Firearms License - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If I ever decide to get a full auto gun, I'm going to deal with this guy. I like his advertising. MINIGUN (http://www.major-malfunction.com/maj_malf_5u_002.htm - broken link)

Old 11-13-2009, 01:10 PM

2,422 posts, read 2,278,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy1 View Post
As a holder of a Concealed Weapons Permit in Florida we are permittted to carry concealed in 32 other states and one is PA. In PA we are only permitted to carry a handgun or pistol and our CWP permit does not honor other types of concealed weapons in that state.

The training required to carry in Florida can be conducted through an authorized program in a classroom consisting of around 1 hr or producing ones military DD-214.

Some restrictions are a person cannot have a record of being a felon etc etc and one item the form dwells on is rejecting a permit to one who has been convicted of abusing a family member such as ones wife.

In Florida a person does not need a permit to carry in a car as long as the weapon is not openly available to anyone in the auto. This means the weapon cannot be loaded and must be secured in a case in the trunk or a glove box. The applicant cannot renounce US citizenship, been dishonorably disharged from the military, had 2 DUI within the previous 3 years, a record of drug or alcohol abuse, being commited to a mental instituion and there are several more conditions that can make a person ineligible to carry in Florida.

At times some of us carry a few hundred to a thousand dollars and we find it necessary to carry our weapon of choice in a concealed fashion for protection.

A Florida a CWP is good for 7 years and we Vietnam Veterans believe in protecting our country from intruders, vandals or criminals and firmly believe we need to have a weapon to protect our loved ones.
Yes I knew Fl was a recip state with Pa. It is very cheap and easy to get a cwp in Pa and only 20 bucs at your local sheriffs office, restrictions look very similar to Fl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates