Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2009, 08:30 AM

25,690 posts, read 18,773,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
You know, there's plenty of places in the world where a rugged individualist can still make their own fortune without those mind-numbing safety nets and other such government interference. India, Cambodia, Chad, Indonesia, and Morocco come to mind.
Oh, I’ve researched that exhaustively--not those countries (way too damned hot), but others. Problem is, nobody wants a non-millionaire, aging yankee in their country. Can't really blame them--they have their own citizens to worry about. The most welcoming (which isn't all that welcoming) I've found are certain South American countries.

It’s looking as though my best bet is to find the least socialized, least tax-burdened, most freedom-oriented states and go to one of them. In the running are Alaska, South Dakota, North Dakota, eastern Wyoming, eastern Montana, or possibly somewhere in small-town Great Basin states (northern Nevada/western Utah--again, a bit hot in the summer for me). I’ve eliminated several other northern states that, geographically, would be ideal, but the political atmosphere just wouldn’t be a match. I'm an absolute minimalist--minimal living quarters, minimal expenses, minimal required income, minimal annoyance from government. That lifestyle doesn't work in much of the country unless you want to live in the slums and collect welfare, or be a homeless drifter.

I suppose that could related back to the being scared thing in the OP. I'm scared there will be no place in the US like that soon. Being a minimalist is not in harmony with the government's philosophy that we are revenue generation devices (tax slaves). You see, the government really doesn't make much from a hamster that is only making $15,000 a year and living in a 200 sf home. Therefore, they discourage frugality and minimalism. An SUV and McMansion for everyone!

Last edited by ChrisC; 11-20-2009 at 08:42 AM..

Old 11-20-2009, 08:45 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
I lived through one cold war. I was in high school when I watched the McCarthy hearings on TV. Now we are in another cold war, and just like the last one, we are squandering our liberty and our treasure on an imaginary, non-existent enemy that overall meant us no harm, even though there might be a few radicals that make pompous threats and fire a few potshots at us, as there will always be.

If we leave people alone, they will leave us alone. Nobody hates us for who we are, only for what we've done in our own ham-handed global policies.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:41 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post
You know, I have tried to have a dialogue and you just will not stop the name calling. I do not have time to sit around and post on CD all day and night -- google some of the items I provided to you and read up on this.
Do some research and learn about this issue instead of throwing around links and half-baked assumptions.

Interesting choice of name calling.
YOU claimed that there are Christians killing people EVERY DAY "in the name of Jesus." I did not make that claim.

I asked you for some links, some news stories. Something.

YOU come back with some blather about the KKK and some other random comments.

I said that's not Christians killing people "in the name of Jesus" - which was your claim.

Now you continue to tell me to learn how to read, or learn how to Google.

Maybe YOU need to learn how to not make grandiose claims you cannot verify.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Whoa! I'm a Catholic and I happen to believe that good people, no matter their religion or even without religion, will not go to hell.

And I have an aunt (by marriage) who is a fundu Christian and believes I'm going to hell because I'm not a follower of her church. LOL
I don't mean this to be an offense to you or your adherence to the Catholic faith, but your view of who will and won't be in hell is not consistent with the teachings of the Catholic Church.

My point was that Christians - following the New Testament text - claim that Christianity is the only way to heaven. And as such, everyone else is going to hell.

SaudiGirl is claiming the same thing - except that she feels Islam is the only way to heaven.

So my question to her remains: Who's right, and who's wrong?

Old 11-20-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
Dude, I have to ask, what is it with you and the Christians. you seem to bring this into every post. Please be good enough to explain.
I'm not sure what you mean.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:11 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
There is nothing religious or Christian in the doctrine of the KKK. They originally copied the Scottish practice of burning a St. Andrews cross, and D W Griffith erroneously depicted that as a Christian cross in "Birth of a Nation". That is the model that is copied by later Klansmen.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There is nothing religious or Christian in the doctrine of the KKK. They originally copied the Scottish practice of burning a St. Andrews cross, and D W Griffith erroneously depicted that as a Christian cross in "Birth of a Nation". That is the model that is copied by later Klansmen.
Right. Their calling card is hatred and racism, not religion.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:20 PM

3,773 posts, read 5,321,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
What you're overlooking is the fact that Christians and other Wasps in the USA have no motivation to commit acts of terrorism, because their world is already the way they want to be. Terrorism is an instrument of change, which has no utility where no change is desired.
Yes, terrorism is certainly an instrument to attempt change and that is probably the main reason that it is used in places like Iraq and Afghanistan. But what many of you are forgetting is that countries in which there is a Muslim majority, and Muslim-led government, there is a restriction on the freedom of those that would practice another religion or attempt to criticise the government. I live in one such country. They arrest bloggers and charge them with attempting to overthrow the government. (Yeah, right.) Do you think Saudi Arabia has its own version of City-Data forums?

Certain religions promote freedom for everyone. Some religions produce governments that restrict the freedoms of those that do not follow that religion or attempt to criticise the government. There is a difference. If Muslims gain significant political strength in the USA, watch out!

Last edited by Teak; 11-20-2009 at 07:29 PM..

Old 11-20-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
this is what I mean. You two seem to go at it day and night. I never saw the first post, so have no idea what you two are own about. But you are both relentless, what ever it is.
I'm interested in having people at least try to tell the truth. And when somebody comes along and claims that "Christians are killing people IN THE NAME OF JESUS" every day, that's just flat-out false.

But it is kind of fun to call attention to lies like that.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:37 AM

1,419 posts, read 2,454,380 times
We should stop letting immigrants in period. Too many damn people live here already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates