Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 11:34 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,633,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
Have no Fear, there will be plenty of back up, should the need arise. People are not asleep, as it may appear, just being cautious. We have learned to believe little of what we are told.

Where will the "backup" come from? Sadly, looks as if the military has caved in to the PC crud in DC. The FBI? Obama is underhandedly crippling them. CIA? Ibid. Who else has their hands on the button? Holder, Rahm Bam, Ayers, Michelle???

Old 11-12-2009, 11:35 AM

2,754 posts, read 6,099,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
This is the land of the free, and the home of the brave right?

A recent pole in the political section got me thinking. Over 50% of those polled said we should discontinue Muslim immigration for the next 20 years or so.

To me this is crazy. Are we so afraid of a few extreme idiots that we will ban an entire ethnic group because of our fear?

People were more than happy to give up their rights to warrents for wiretapping, their freedom of checking out a book without the government monitoring it. The freedom of walking our relatives to the airport gate.

Freedom isn't free people. That doesn't just mean soldiers fighting for us. That means you've got to live with a certain amount of risk to enjoy the freedom that you do have. Don't we realize how hard it is to get freedoms back, once they are taken away?

I fear that because Americans have always lived in a free society, that they don't know what its like to live in a place where you aren't free to do whatever you want.

As for me, I'll take Patrick Henrys approach

"Give me liberty, or give me death!"

I'm more than happy to give my life to a few Arab idiots in order to keep my country free. Apparently many Americans are willing to do that anymore, and would rather give up their freedoms.

And before anyone asks, yes, I have served my country.

Only "over 50%" of people polled said we should cease in allowing Muslims to immigrate? LOl--I'm surpised the number isn't more like 75%, especially after the Fort Hood massacre, which I think is gonna turn out to be the straw that broke the camel's back (pun intended!).
Patrick Henry wasn't talking about freedom for Muslims, and you can bet the founding fathers would agree in a Philadelphia second to ban the Muslims from coming to the "Home of the Brave" as you put it. By the way, citing some lyrics from the Star Spangled Banner in an attempt to argue that we are acting too wary and scared of Muslims is inaccurate. That song was written druring a war mind you: and this country is at war with Muslim terrorists. Sure--the terrorists Do, in all honesty, represent only a small fraction of all Muslims. But hey, why take the chance. Many people think we should ban ALL immigration for awhile, especially in view of our current economic recession, so I think that a ban on a group of people who are of the same religon that has members which proudly state they want Americans dead is not unfair.
Oh yeah, I served my country too, and was shot at in the process. And I certainly wasn't risking my life for Muslim immigrants, and I don't consider them to be true Americans, even if they become naturalized. Call me a bigot if you must, but I stand by my words.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:36 AM

4,882 posts, read 5,011,495 times
Quote:
Fear tactics are often used to contol the weak minded. ---Americans have proved more than once that they have what it takes to get the job done. we just get lazy sometimes, and sit back and enjoy life.--But should the need arise, the world fully knows what we are capable of. and they want no part of it. We still speak softly, but we still also have one big bad stick.
Yes, no doubt, that earlier generations of Americans have gotten the job done. I don't think we could now. The industrial base is not there. Our nation is so fragmented that I don't think we could come together and act as a single society anymore.
So many people addicted to government aid, they don't have to work for anything. So many people addicted to so many different drugs of choice, they cann't function properly.
I hope that you are right, we can do it again. Nothing would make me happier than to say I was wrong.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:58 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
I think there are alot of Americans (not a majority) that are downright paranoid. Note, I didn't say fearful, I said paranoid. Here are some examples of this behavior:

1. Buying guns and ammunition because Obama is President now and you fear a government dictatorship.

On Concerns Over Gun Control, Gun Sales Are Up - NYTimes.com

2. Opposing fluoridation of water because you think its a government plot to poison people.

The Truth About Fluoride! - It is POISON!

3. Believing that vaccines cause autism and the government is keeping that fact from us.

Thiomersal controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

4. Believing that Obama is a Muslim, foreigner, or terrorist in disguise who was put in office to deliberately wreck America.

Barack Obama citizenship conspiracy theories - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All this stuff is just stupid, paranoid, and brainless crap. Anyone who believes any of it is "mentally challenged". I think a primary difference between America and other countries is that there is not a sizeable segment of paranoid anti-government nuts that have to be dealt with when there are elections and such. I would estimate these people make up about 10%-15% of the American electorate. Its certainly not anywhere near a majority--thank God--but its enough people to make a difference in close political races. I do note to my satisfaction that most of these people tend to be conservative and GOP supporters. Its pretty sad when your political party has to rely on such people as a base of support.

There is a saying in life that speaks of behavior that is so serious that "we have yet to survive it". I feel this way about these paranoid nuts. In a democracy, with freedom, an enlightened person believes that we can count on the media, discussion, and debate to properly marginalize these people and their "nutso" ideas. I'd like to think this is correct, but I'm not sure at times. For example, if enough people stop vaccinating their children, we run the risk of dangerous epidemic diseases killing thousands. Beware, the jury is still out on whether we--as a society--can survive these kooks. The answer is far from clear at this point.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:00 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I think there are alot of Americans (not a majority) that are downright paranoid. Note, I didn't say fearful, I said paranoid. Here are some examples of this behavior:

1. Buying guns and ammunition because Obama is President now and you fear a government dictatorship.

On Concerns Over Gun Control, Gun Sales Are Up - NYTimes.com

2. Opposing fluoridation of water because you think its a government plot to poison people.

The Truth About Fluoride! - It is POISON!

3. Believing that vaccines cause autism and the government is keeping that fact from us.

Thiomersal controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

4. Believing that Obama is a Muslim, foreigner, or terrorist in disguise who was put in office to deliberately wreck America.

Barack Obama citizenship conspiracy theories - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All this stuff is just stupid, paranoid, and brainless crap. Anyone who believes any of it is "mentally challenged". I think a primary difference between America and other countries is that there is not a sizeable segment of paranoid anti-government nuts that have to be dealt with when there are elections and such. I would estimate these people make up about 10%-15% of the American electorate. Its certainly not anywhere near a majority--thank God--but its enough people to make a difference in close political races. I do note to my satisfaction that most of these people tend to be conservative and GOP supporters. Its pretty sad when your political party has to rely on such people as a base of support.

There is a saying in life that speaks of behavior that is so serious that "we have yet to survive it". I feel this way about these paranoid nuts. In a democracy, with freedom, an enlightened person believes that we can count on the media, discussion, and debate to properly marginalize these people and their "nutso" ideas. I'd like to think this is correct, but I'm not sure at times. For example, if enough people stop vaccinating their children, we run the risk of dangerous epidemic diseases killing thousands. Beware, the jury is still out on whether we--as a society--can survive these kooks. The answer is far from clear at this point.
Yes but us "kooks" have all of the guns!!!

Old 11-12-2009, 12:25 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,460,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
Yes, no doubt, that earlier generations of Americans have gotten the job done. I don't think we could now. The industrial base is not there. Our nation is so fragmented that I don't think we could come together and act as a single society anymore.
So many people addicted to government aid, they don't have to work for anything. So many people addicted to so many different drugs of choice, they cann't function properly.
I hope that you are right, we can do it again. Nothing would make me happier than to say I was wrong.
Maybe have more Faith in the American People. My Folks picked Cotton, and cut Cedar pickets to put Spam (the other pink meat) and beans on the table. Americans are simply spoiled, and that is all it is. They can handle any task, if they have to. If a Man gets hungry enough, and sees His Family go with out basic necessities, He will buckle down, and do what ever it takes to get things back on track. The only serious issues our Youth have to face to day, is either "Play station, or "X-Box" --But they did not spoil themselves, and it is not their fault. It is in our Genes to fight the good fight, and to be victorious. We have just had it easy to long. We have the only Nation on Earth, that has It's poor are fat people. Real poor people are Skinny. Just no need to work, when it is just given to them. We have learned to take credit for others Labors. "We" didn't put a Man on the Moon. A couple of hundred Hard working Americans did. Time to "Butch up America" and regain control of OUR Country.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:57 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
Only "over 50%" of people polled said we should cease in allowing Muslims to immigrate? LOl--I'm surpised the number isn't more like 75%, especially after the Fort Hood massacre, which I think is gonna turn out to be the straw that broke the camel's back (pun intended!).
Patrick Henry wasn't talking about freedom for Muslims, and you can bet the founding fathers would agree in a Philadelphia second to ban the Muslims from coming to the "Home of the Brave" as you put it. By the way, citing some lyrics from the Star Spangled Banner in an attempt to argue that we are acting too wary and scared of Muslims is inaccurate. That song was written druring a war mind you: and this country is at war with Muslim terrorists. Sure--the terrorists Do, in all honesty, represent only a small fraction of all Muslims. But hey, why take the chance. Many people think we should ban ALL immigration for awhile, especially in view of our current economic recession, so I think that a ban on a group of people who are of the same religon that has members which proudly state they want Americans dead is not unfair.
Oh yeah, I served my country too, and was shot at in the process. And I certainly wasn't risking my life for Muslim immigrants, and I don't consider them to be true Americans, even if they become naturalized. Call me a bigot if you must, but I stand by my words.
I fight for all Americans, their religion has nothing to do with them being American or not.

Give us your tired, your poor, your huddled masses.

I lived in Detroit, the most Muslims of any US city there. They were very respectful, and alway nice to me. I never once saw any of them screaming Allah Ahkbar in the streets.

I'm glad you served, and you are entitled to your opinion, but I think you are scared of something that isn't a real threat to you.

As I posted earlier, the odds of you being struck by lightning are greater then those of you being killed by a terrorist. Guess you shouldn't step outside again. You do know that lightning can strike from up to 30 miles away, you wouldn't even see the storm.

I live my life free of fear. If someone wants to come to my home and try and kill me, they are more than welcome, I'll never give up my freedom to get a false sense of security.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:04 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,460,692 times
timing is everything. Sleeper cells, are waiting for the "word". then we will see how nice everyone is.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:11 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
timing is everything. Sleeper cells, are waiting for the "word". then we will see how nice everyone is.
Another boogy man out to get us. Can't live your life in fear, if you do, you aren't living.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:59 PM

25,684 posts, read 18,773,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Another boogy man out to get us.
Yes, of course. All is well. Take another toke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates