U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-11-2009, 04:45 PM
 
Location: Sango, TN
24,890 posts, read 19,595,718 times
Reputation: 8595

Advertisements

This is the land of the free, and the home of the brave right?

A recent pole in the political section got me thinking. Over 50% of those polled said we should discontinue Muslim immigration for the next 20 years or so.

To me this is crazy. Are we so afraid of a few extreme idiots that we will ban an entire ethnic group because of our fear?

People were more than happy to give up their rights to warrents for wiretapping, their freedom of checking out a book without the government monitoring it. The freedom of walking our relatives to the airport gate.

Freedom isn't free people. That doesn't just mean soldiers fighting for us. That means you've got to live with a certain amount of risk to enjoy the freedom that you do have. Don't we realize how hard it is to get freedoms back, once they are taken away?

I fear that because Americans have always lived in a free society, that they don't know what its like to live in a place where you aren't free to do whatever you want.

As for me, I'll take Patrick Henrys approach

"Give me liberty, or give me death!"

I'm more than happy to give my life to a few Arab idiots in order to keep my country free. Apparently many Americans are willing to do that anymore, and would rather give up their freedoms.

And before anyone asks, yes, I have served my country.

 
Old 11-11-2009, 06:37 PM
 
315 posts, read 652,850 times
Reputation: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
This is the land of the free, and the home of the brave right?

A recent pole in the political section got me thinking. Over 50% of those polled said we should discontinue Muslim immigration for the next 20 years or so.

To me this is crazy. Are we so afraid of a few extreme idiots that we will ban an entire ethnic group because of our fear?

People were more than happy to give up their rights to warrents for wiretapping, their freedom of checking out a book without the government monitoring it. The freedom of walking our relatives to the airport gate.

Freedom isn't free people. That doesn't just mean soldiers fighting for us. That means you've got to live with a certain amount of risk to enjoy the freedom that you do have. Don't we realize how hard it is to get freedoms back, once they are taken away?

I fear that because Americans have always lived in a free society, that they don't know what its like to live in a place where you aren't free to do whatever you want.

As for me, I'll take Patrick Henrys approach

"Give me liberty, or give me death!"

I'm more than happy to give my life to a few Arab idiots in order to keep my country free. Apparently many Americans are willing to do that anymore, and would rather give up their freedoms.

And before anyone asks, yes, I have served my country.
A study I'm working on will open eyes related to this topic. The average American today has crossed from being respectful of the Federal Government, to having fear of it.

Kind of like being raised by a strict, but fair father as a kid. You respect him, but did you tremble in fear? The later is balance, but today we fear our own government.

They have now suceeded in entering into every single aspect of our lives in every way.

Some think this is a good thing, some think its bad. But one thing I know for sure, is it's not freedom, at least how it was sold to me.
 
Old 11-11-2009, 06:40 PM
 
Location: The Midst of Insanity
3,225 posts, read 5,972,495 times
Reputation: 3193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
This is the land of the free, and the home of the brave right?

A recent pole in the political section got me thinking. Over 50% of those polled said we should discontinue Muslim immigration for the next 20 years or so.

To me this is crazy. Are we so afraid of a few extreme idiots that we will ban an entire ethnic group because of our fear?

People were more than happy to give up their rights to warrents for wiretapping, their freedom of checking out a book without the government monitoring it. The freedom of walking our relatives to the airport gate.

Freedom isn't free people. That doesn't just mean soldiers fighting for us. That means you've got to live with a certain amount of risk to enjoy the freedom that you do have. Don't we realize how hard it is to get freedoms back, once they are taken away?

I fear that because Americans have always lived in a free society, that they don't know what its like to live in a place where you aren't free to do whatever you want.

As for me, I'll take Patrick Henrys approach

"Give me liberty, or give me death!"

I'm more than happy to give my life to a few Arab idiots in order to keep my country free. Apparently many Americans are willing to do that anymore, and would rather give up their freedoms.

And before anyone asks, yes, I have served my country.
Do you realize the problem many have with Muslims is the teachings of their religion? You know, kill the infidels and those who refuse to convert? And they come over here and demand that the U.S conforms to their standards? This is what people are concerned about. Haven't we gone through this in other threads?
You're more than happy to give your life to an Arab idiot (your words) who is allowed to come into this country and kill innocent civilians? Do you think more American citizens should easily give their lives to people who immigrate here and cause harm?

I know what it's like to live in a place where you can't do whatever you want.
 
Old 11-11-2009, 06:54 PM
 
Location: Houston/Heights
2,637 posts, read 3,793,388 times
Reputation: 961
Protecting our borders, and not worrying so much about other Peoples borders should be Job one. But it is not even on the list. Our gubment runs on votes and money, and it makes no difference to them who's money, or who's vote they get. Don't ever think they like us anymore than anyone else. We are just voters to them, and nothing more. And as Jefferson knew would happen--votes can be bought.
 
Old 11-11-2009, 06:59 PM
 
Location: Sango, TN
24,890 posts, read 19,595,718 times
Reputation: 8595
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Do you realize the problem many have with Muslims is the teachings of their religion? You know, kill the infidels and those who refuse to convert? And they come over here and demand that the U.S conforms to their standards? This is what people are concerned about. Haven't we gone through this in other threads?
You're more than happy to give your life to an Arab idiot (your words) who is allowed to come into this country and kill innocent civilians? Do you think more American citizens should easily give their lives to people who immigrate here and cause harm?

I know what it's like to live in a place where you can't do whatever you want.
Christianity teaches the same thing.

Nazis used Christianity to kill people. We have had Christian extremists kill Americans as recently as just a few years ago. I didn't hear anyone calling for a ban of Christian immigrants.

I understand people don't want to die at the hands of a terrorist. My feeling is I'd rather die at the hand of a terrorist, to protect my childs liberties, then give them up for what is obviously a futile attempt to control the uncontrollable.

Here are some interesting numbers

"Even if terrorists were able to pull off one attack per year on the scale of the 9/11 atrocity, that would mean your one-year risk would be one in 100,000 and your lifetime risk would be about one in 1300. (300,000,000 3,000 = 100,000 78 years = 1282) In other words, your risk of dying in a plausible terrorist attack is much lower than your risk of dying in a car accident, by walking across the street, by drowning, in a fire, by falling, or by being murdered."

http://reason.com/archives/2006/08/1...-be-terrorized

Notice thats one 9/11 per year. The numbers are even larger when you count the actual numbers of terrorist attacks we've actually had.

You stand a greater chance of dying from a lightning strike, then by the hands of a terrorist.

I guess we should ban storms.
 
Old 11-11-2009, 07:03 PM
 
315 posts, read 652,850 times
Reputation: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Christianity teaches the same thing.

Nazis used Christianity to kill people. We have had Christian extremists kill Americans as recently as just a few years ago. I didn't hear anyone calling for a ban of Christian immigrants.
So, would you rather be dropped right smack into the middle of an Iranian Mosque, or Sunday school service on the corner of 5th and C st this weekend? I'm just sayin..........
 
Old 11-11-2009, 07:04 PM
 
Location: southern california
53,720 posts, read 70,257,084 times
Reputation: 45396
your attempts to minimize a significant threat to the country is not in sync with what has happened to other christian nations that hosted muslim extremists.
 
Old 11-11-2009, 07:16 PM
 
Location: Houston/Heights
2,637 posts, read 3,793,388 times
Reputation: 961
there is a Reason Muslims have seldom if ever been defeated. They don't fight a standard war. they get embedded, and work from within. Much as the way they are getting Our Troops hooked on Heroin. the longer we are there, the worse it will get. the Early Crusaders gave up all desire to fight, and just joined them. They even bought land there and raised families. . ---People don't really understand this enemy. but they better wise up quick.
 
Old 11-11-2009, 07:20 PM
 
48,522 posts, read 78,439,967 times
Reputation: 17894
With our freedoms it makes it hard to constrain any type of radicals.If you look at muslims and the main areas of the world they live in the outlook isn't that good. Either they live in very strick societies like the saudis; for example or in areas where terrorisim is a very day occurance.Its just a matter of time before people react to wanting more safe guard rather than increasing terroist attacks.hat means everyoens freedoms are restricted.
 
Old 11-11-2009, 07:23 PM
 
2,586 posts, read 3,599,802 times
Reputation: 2587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Christianity teaches the same thing.

Nazis used Christianity to kill people. We have had Christian extremists kill Americans as recently as just a few years ago. I didn't hear anyone calling for a ban of Christian immigrants.
This is a completely ridiculous and unsupportable statement. It is well-known and documented that the Third Reich was heavily involved in the occult. The Nazi swastika symbol comes from Buddhism, and they sent representatives to Tibet to investigate some of the beliefs of the Tibetan Buddhists.

For the record, many Christians in Germany did stand up to the Third Reich and were martyred for their faith and stance against the Nazis. One such martyr was the theologian Dietrich Bonhoeffer. Please educate yourself before you start posting b.s. on city-data.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top