Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 07:31 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flik_becky View Post

6 years ago, I was 5 months pregnant that day, walking across an icy entrance from one parking lot to another, not Christmas shopping but coming from work. A woman whipped into the parking lot while I stood there, in the enterance, knowing there was no way I could get out of the move any faster on the ice, I braced myself. This woman actually leaned forward and stepped on the gas! I turned me body sideways, trying to minimize the blow to my unborn baby and put my hand out in a sharp, angry stop motion while glaring at her. She slammed on the brakes but still hit my leg, which bent in, while my hand slammed on her hood. Had I had any sense in my brain I would have fallen to the ground screaming in agony and put her in jail for attempted murder and assault with a deadly weapon.
Yes, if you'd been of the sort unethical people that might instantly see and take advantage of the "sitch", that might have been the right move. But you're probably too ethical and honest!

But then again, knowing how much strain folks are under this time of year, I tend to put my trust in John Browning's timeless M1911 design, slightly compacted by modern engineering. Nothing "revises" the thinking of a boisterous perp/moron/parking lot tyrant looking directly at a "sewer pipe-sized" barrel to calm things down!

I'm a v. peaceful person, but I just understand the fierce animalistic hair-trigger mentality lurking just under the surface of a lot of our fellow citizens, coupled with the stresses of having to buy little Jimmy a horde of new Chinese stuff, or a new PS3 (or whatever they're called...), or to get the little woman one of her "best friends", at least a carat or two, which is but a chunk of over-sold and vastly over-valued carbon.

It can turn even a civil mind, in the parking lot, into a potential murderer!

Best idea? Just don't go down there! Stay at home and have a nice Evan Williams Single Barrel bourbon. Just a couple of ounces, slightly warmed by the glow of the fire, and shared with your lovey-dovey and family! Maybe some classic Christmas music (NOT the Chipmunks, please...). My wife heads up a Women's Choir, and they all go out, in the nice dry snow, and sing through our small town. Lovely, and you also get away from the WalCoMart TV ads...

I'm just sayin....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 09:14 AM

2,637 posts, read 4,460,692 times
If People choose to buy into the commercial aspect of Christmas, then that is there choice. but nobody his holding their hand to the fire. --We had little as far as fancy things for Crhitmas, but we were full of the spirit. We made decorations for the tree, and sang songs, and the house smelled like cinnamon and nut meg. I mean, how much better does it get?

Old 11-15-2009, 07:08 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,672,422 times
This Christmas I plan on cutting way back on the spending, as I will every year from now on. This year should also be a turning point for those who are considering giving to charitable organizations, I've been thinking about turning over all of my intended gift money to local aid groups who are sagging under the weight of an increased demand.

I drove by a large mall yesterday and it looked very full, hardly any parking left. I guess the recession will not deter the average American from his ritualistic holiday spending. It seems as though the pitch for any any of these ritualistic buying days are coming earlier every year, whether it be Valentines day or some other obligatory buying day, the ads are getting downright ridiculous.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:26 AM

1,461 posts, read 3,651,290 times
I've always thought people should do a mission trip or a helps vacation to a developing country to see how the rest of the world lives. We have been twice to Peru on a dental mission's trip. Both times our group cleaned 1000 people's teeth. It just changes you when you see how people struggle just to exsist. One of our boys went a few years ago. He was just a snotty kid who wanted everything...it changed his whole life to see how much we have. He came home to his apartment that he didn't think was good enough and said, "man I have carpet and I have a frig."
We need to stop buying to buy and retraining our kids to help others and not to think so much about themselves. I'm working on my grandkids to teach them to give out to others..that's where the real joy of Christmas comes from...

Old 11-15-2009, 07:38 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,687,088 times
Actually Christmas should be renamed Commerce Day. There aren't that many practicing Christians anyway and giving gifts to each other is not in the Biblical text or spirit. Christmas is a child's holiday and should be celebrated as such.

If you want to really feel the Christmas spirit try giving all year round.

Merry Commerce Day, Everyone, ho ho ho.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:32 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,679,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Here's an idea. Gather up all the wish lists from everyone you need to shop for. Then go and enjoy the unalloyed delights of shopping, not to buy them, but to note the price. Then add it up and send a check to a worthwhile charitable organization that does humanitarian work. Send everyone on your gift list a card telling them what you did with their gift money, since you have decided, for a change, to have a meaningful Christmas. Ask them to do the same, instead of giving you a gift.
I so wish my family would do this. I have also repeatedly requested no birthday trinkets and stuff I have no use for, and they think I'm nuts -- even more nuts when I suggest if I may do this for the "hard-to-buy-for" who have me stumped each year as they already have everything.
My friends down South made a donation to a dog rescue in my name one Christmas and it was the best "gift" ever, plus my finanaces were tight back then & I couldn't give what I'd wanted and they know how much it meant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arf Arf View Post
My God. I am SO thankful that I dumped television. I haven't had the pleasure (disgust?) of these ridiculous Christmas ads begging me to buy sh*t I don't need and probably won't want after I get it home. What a relief.
Here here!!!! Last apartment I rented, asked that the Landlord please remove the thing, taking up room and collecting dust. Can't stand to be in the same room as one -- no matter the time of year.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:14 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,827 times
But... but... how do you watch John Wayne on Turner Classic Movies, no advertisements?

"Yah sure look purty when you're buyin' stuff, liddlelaydee!"

Old 11-15-2009, 11:19 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,223,727 times
Easily solved. If you make the one time purchase of John Wayne Classics for $14.00, you don't even need cable. 20 movies for less than 15 bucks.
It helps even more if you bought it 4 or 5 years ago because you were afraid that your child would not know John Wayne.

Of course, I don't know anyone who did that.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:49 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,460,692 times
I use to work with several "Charities" until I discovered, that on average, only about 12% of the money ever reaches the person in need. the majority is taken up by administrative charges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates