Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 08:41 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Yes. Justice for the victim.
When the victim is dead, how does the victim define justice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 09:51 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,548,547 times
I find it very strange that someone can make a blanket statement that " everyone has wondered what it is like to kill someone" !!!!!
Add me to those who never ever wondered that. Maybe the fact that I grew up on a farm and saw critters killed, either for food or because they were a nuisance, made a differance, but I doubt it.
When I was a teen I was very depressed, but it had nothing to do with how I was treated at home. I was never even physically abused...in fact I was not disciplined sufficiently, and I told my mom so when I was older. I was a very bull-headed child, and there were things said that hurt, like: "she needs to be put in a reform school".
I did contemplate suicide, and even threatened to jump off a high bridge that I was crossing over when in a car with friends. They restrained me. That was an isolated incidence.

As for the OP, I just hope the girl is handled appropriately so that no one else will suffer from her behavior. Probably no one can say that she will not progress to other crimes. I do believe some are just naturally evil.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towhee View Post
I find it very strange that someone can make a blanket statement that " everyone has wondered what it is like to kill someone" !!!!!
Add me to those who never ever wondered that. Maybe the fact that I grew up on a farm and saw critters killed, either for food or because they were a nuisance, made a differance, but I doubt it.
You mean you could behead chickens or swat flies, or bait a hook, and it never occurred to you to wonder what that meant to the victim, nor did you ever reflect on the meaning of life? You never wondered if the cruttur felt pain? Or if you would feel pain? Or if you had a right to take some lives and not others? When watching a chicken flopping around with its head cut off, you never wondered if a human would, too? You never watched a war movie and asked yourself if you could kill someone on command, or if you felt threatened? Or wondered what would a human do if caught on a strip of flypaper? You must have been a very incurious child.

Maybe I'm wrong, and it is normal for a person to be so incurious. If so, I have a new admiration for this girl, at least for her philosophizing nature.

Last edited by jtur88; 11-30-2009 at 10:09 AM..

Old 11-30-2009, 01:22 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,461,781 times
Living in the real world, we have to come to terms with the fact that often some things must die, for others to live. Nothing personal, just the way of the world. Animals eat other animals. and many times, must kill them first. Some Reptiles how ever, seem to have no problem eating things that are still alive. As some people also do.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:05 PM

1,841 posts, read 3,173,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
When the victim is dead, how does the victim define justice?
Exactly. The underlying question is "Can this child be rehabilitated?" Being that there was a hx of suicide attempts and god knows what else...( Mental disorders) we cannot bring back the child that was murdered but perhaps we can get this child help..that obviously needs it since she had no priors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towhee View Post
When I was a teen I was very depressed, but it had nothing to do with how I was treated at home. I was never even physically abused...in fact I was not disciplined sufficiently, and I told my mom so when I was older. I was a very bull-headed child, and there were things said that hurt, like: "she needs to be put in a reform school".
I did contemplate suicide, and even threatened to jump off a high bridge that I was crossing over when in a car with friends. They restrained me. That was an isolated incidence.

As for the OP, I just hope the girl is handled appropriately so that no one else will suffer from her behavior. Probably no one can say that she will not progress to other crimes. I do believe some are just naturally evil.
It is hard to say. We can never really judge others by our own personal experience, i.e. "I have never pondered bombing my school" "I would have never reacted in this manner despite my past" Why? We our bringing our own counter-transferrence into the mix...perhaps it is that you were more resiliant, it was not in your nature to fathom such thoughts ect..however we do not know what this particular child went through, if mental illness was a part of it ( Allowed to go on without a proper dx). I am not stating that this girl Alyssa should be let off the hook but I am not prepared to doom her either/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
Living in the real world, we have to come to terms with the fact that often some things must die, for others to live. Nothing personal, just the way of the world. Animals eat other animals. and many times, must kill them first. Some Reptiles how ever, seem to have no problem eating things that are still alive. As some people also do.
Ouch. This was a child that was murdered, I would not state so freely what you posted, I feel however that this needs to be delved into before handing out a sentence.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:39 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcgal View Post
Alyssa Bustamante, 15, Charged as Adult in Murder of Elizabeth Olten

This story brings up a great question on whether or not children (under the age of 18) should be tried as adults when acts of violence are committed?

Should this particular girl be sent to prison or rehabilitated?
Here in New York, a minor can be tried as an adult if the minor commits an adult crime. The law authorizing this is known as the Willy Bosket Law--he was a pre-teen who used to walk up behind people at random and shoot them. He thought it was fun.

You commit murder, you should be tried as an adult.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Here in New York, a minor can be tried as an adult if the minor commits an adult crime. The law authorizing this is known as the Willy Bosket Law--he was a pre-teen who used to walk up behind people at random and shoot them. He thought it was fun.

You commit murder, you should be tried as an adult.
What is an "adult crime"? How about stealing a car, or sticking up a conveninece store, or hitting somebody over the head with a tire iron? Are those adult crimes? Do you want a 5-yearold to be tried as an adult if he throws his baby sister off the balcony? That's murder. You haven't clarified anything.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:02 PM

2,422 posts, read 2,278,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Even an adult who killed a person for that reason, would, very likely, with a decent lawyer, get off with an insanity plea. Especially if there was a record of psychiatric treatment.
I doubt it.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:55 PM

2,422 posts, read 2,278,265 times
It must be determined whether she is a psychopath or not. In general, psychopaths cannot be rehabilitated.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:03 AM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
It must be determined whether she is a psychopath or not. In general, psychopaths cannot be rehabilitated.
That's the thing. Can we ever foresee, or is there any history of, someone growing up to be a stable and productive citizen who says, "Well, once upon a time I killed a younger child just to see how it felt...but I'm better now. Hire me, marry me, let me live next door to you."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates