U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-19-2009, 08:06 AM
 
Location: Greensboro
627 posts, read 1,821,185 times
Reputation: 432

Advertisements

Frequently people call themselves "animal lovers". Yet at the same time they eat animals. People in animal rescue are the perfect example. They spend countless hours trying to find a home for an abandoned dog/cat, then later that night they cook an animal for dinner. Why does the compassion for dogs and cats not extend to pigs, cows, etc.? They are all animals.

Does this seem hypocritical to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-19-2009, 08:13 AM
 
10,702 posts, read 20,126,250 times
Reputation: 9859
I can't see how that is hypocritical. You can have compassion for something but we are at the top of the food chain (fortunately for us). Animals are food.

We've had an attachment to dogs for a long time, they protect us, help us hunt (other animals), and keep us company, even thousands of years ago.

In America it's not customary to eat dog but in other countries it is. I guess their cultures never utilized dogs as "mans best friend".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2009, 08:16 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,556,197 times
Reputation: 35864
Can you be a plant-lover and eat plants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2009, 08:18 AM
 
Location: Houston/Heights
2,637 posts, read 3,880,670 times
Reputation: 961
Some animals are pets, and have been domesticated to work with and for Man. Some animals are used for food. As a child on the Farm, I was taught to not be freindly with the Animals. "they are not your pets, and not your playmates. they are food." I had a Dog for companion ship, who we didn't eat, cause he was to skinny. I first learned about "survival of the fittest", when I had to catch yard hens for Sunday supper. The slower hens were the ones that ended up in the pot. What I feel sorry for, in the poor carrots, that have no chance of escape. Which I figure is why people become vegetarians. they are to lazy to chase down their food, and would rather just pick it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2009, 08:27 AM
 
898 posts, read 1,242,773 times
Reputation: 1007
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_Random View Post
Frequently people call themselves "animal lovers". Yet at the same time they eat animals. People in animal rescue are the perfect example. They spend countless hours trying to find a home for an abandoned dog/cat, then later that night they cook an animal for dinner. Why does the compassion for dogs and cats not extend to pigs, cows, etc.? They are all animals.

Does this seem hypocritical to you?
No. When I lived in El Salvador, we would buy chicks by the boxfull and take care of them until it was time to kill and cook the chickens. My cousin would always pick one and keep it as a pet until it got too big.

In places like China and Vietnam, they eat cats, dogs and insects because they got used to that cuisine when other meats ran out. You can even go to restaurants in China and pick your own feline or canine before you eat like we pick lobsters (which are also technicaly insects) here.

See, it's all about cuteness and convenience. We fall for how cute an animal is and place human traits on them that don't exist and the moment that the animal no longer portrays those traits, we don't care for them anymore. The convinience comes from not having to kill the animal yourself. If you grow up in an environment where you feed, kill and cook your own meat, you won't have a problem putting animals in their place, which is below us, but in this country most people don't keep livestock so they get used to meat being nothing more than some packaged slices they can pick up at the grocer's freezer. So, all of a sudden, a cow or pig becomes too cute to kill.

In the end, just because you choose not to eat meat doesn't mean that the rest of us have something wrong with us for choosing to eat it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2009, 08:43 AM
 
Location: NY
2,007 posts, read 3,362,012 times
Reputation: 905
I have owned many animals in my life. Everything from fish to dogs and cats, gerbils, guinea pigs and on and on. I've loved every one of them.
I'm also an omnivore. All humans are designed to be. We have canine teeth in order to consume meat. Every predator has one thing in common. Eyes located in the front of the head. All prey animals have their eyes in the sides of their heads. The human animal is a natural predator just as a bear, cougar or lion is. We use our brains and tools to hunt and kill instead of tooth and claw, that's the only difference.
True, some commercially slaughtered animals are not killed as humainly as possible. This is why I prefer to hunt, kill and process my meat myself. I know that within seconds, my arrow or bullet has done it's job and I consume everything I kill or I will not shoot it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2009, 08:44 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,556,197 times
Reputation: 35864
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmancomics View Post

See, it's all about cuteness and convenience. We fall for how cute an animal is and place human traits on them that don't exist and the moment that the animal no longer portrays those traits, we don't care for them anymore.
Neoteny has survival value, which is why it evolved. It is the tendency of an animal to retain its juvenile "cuteness" into adulthood. Little did evolution know that humans would be the enemy the species would ultimately have to defend itself against.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2009, 08:47 AM
 
1,122 posts, read 1,967,500 times
Reputation: 731
I love animals and I also love to eat them. Biologically speaking, we are a species that is meant to eat meat.

Have you ever heard of the history of the invention of black powder? Black powder contains a few materials, salt peter being one of them.

What does the history of black powder have to do with human biology you ask? How did they discover and obtain salt peter for use in black powder in the first place? From human urine. Every mammal sends out excess salt peter from their bodies. Wolves to lions to house cats, all carnivore and ominvore mammal species, send out salt peter through their urine. All herbivores send out salt peter in thier feces. The mere fact that salt peter is in our urine is biological proof that we are a species that was meant to eat meat at least as part of our diet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2009, 08:57 AM
 
Location: Houston/Heights
2,637 posts, read 3,880,670 times
Reputation: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by flik_becky View Post
I love animals and I also love to eat them. Biologically speaking, we are a species that is meant to eat meat.

Have you ever heard of the history of the invention of black powder? Black powder contains a few materials, salt peter being one of them.

What does the history of black powder have to do with human biology you ask? How did they discover and obtain salt peter for use in black powder in the first place? From human urine. Every mammal sends out excess salt peter from their bodies. Wolves to lions to house cats, all carnivore and ominvore mammal species, send out salt peter through their urine. All herbivores send out salt peter in thier feces. The mere fact that salt peter is in our urine is biological proof that we are a species that was meant to eat meat at least as part of our diet.
Or to eat gun powder?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2009, 08:58 AM
 
Location: Houston/Heights
2,637 posts, read 3,880,670 times
Reputation: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Neoteny has survival value, which is why it evolved. It is the tendency of an animal to retain its juvenile "cuteness" into adulthood. Little did evolution know that humans would be the enemy the species would ultimately have to defend itself against.
the whole "cute thing" only works for People. A Wolf just sees cute, as slow, and tender.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top