Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 11:38 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,460,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
When someone very near and dear to you dies, you don't fear death anymore. Thats what I've always heard and read, then I experienced it myself. I am not afraid to die at all, and I do believe in assisted suicide. It's legal in some countries. When you are living in constant, severe, pain, what kind of life is that? When you can't do anything but lay in bed with a bed pan under you, that's not living. Dr. Kevorkian would not assist anyone for pain from an illness, only from a terminal illness. A friends' mother tried to get him to "assist" her because of her 24-7 terrible pain. She was on the maximum amount of pain meds they allow. Anyway, he wouldn't do it, so she shot herself. People should not have to do this to themselves or anyone else.
I'm glad you are doing well. People should be able to get out of a life no longer worth living if they so desire. Why should anyone else control that decision? --And there should be no guilt to make things even harder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 07:22 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,768,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
When someone very near and dear to you dies, you don't fear death anymore. Thats what I've always heard and read, then I experienced it myself. I am not afraid to die at all, and I do believe in assisted suicide. It's legal in some countries. When you are living in constant, severe, pain, what kind of life is that? When you can't do anything but lay in bed with a bed pan under you, that's not living. Dr. Kevorkian would not assist anyone for pain from an illness, only from a terminal illness. A friends' mother tried to get him to "assist" her because of her 24-7 terrible pain. She was on the maximum amount of pain meds they allow. Anyway, he wouldn't do it, so she shot herself. People should not have to do this to themselves or anyone else.
But, even people who are severely infirmed can have great purpose , meaning, and be an encouragement to others , especially close loved ones. Some of the nicest conversations , expressions of love , and much needed reconciliation and emotional healing can take place at such a time when it didnt earlier . Most of the time, pain management can administered to make the Infirmed cope better .

Old 11-23-2009, 08:39 AM

433 posts, read 459,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone_Sculpture_Artist View Post
Now I sit and wonder what's on the other side? Blackness and void, or something so grand it will blow my mind?
I believe that we need to live each day as if we're to die tonight. Sounds like you've done some things, made some friends and built memories with others. IMO, An excellent epitaph! All we can leave behind is memories and love.
As for the 'other side'- I hope it's beyond belief in wonder and amazement.

Prayers 4U

Dano

Last edited by DanoTex; 11-23-2009 at 08:49 AM..

Old 11-23-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoTex View Post
As for the 'other side'- I hope it's beyond belief in wonder and amazement.

Prayers 4U

Dano
We can actually KNOW what is ahead instead of hoping ,if we are willing to place our trust in Jesus Christ who told us whats ahead and
simply believe that HE is the way to heaven and the absolute truth. In fact, its imperative that we all make a choice about him ; a choice to wait and see is not choosing Him . Jesus offers us a sure gaurantee of a good eternity and it only requires simply faith in him. There is very good reason that Jesus alone is the one to be trusted and the only way to heaven....and if you care to research that evidence, the best source ive found is www.impactapologetics.com although having the evidence isnt a prerequisite for getting to Heaven but it does help solidify ones faith . Since eternity is such an important thing for each of us, it is certainly important enough to have a very serious look for the credibility of Christ. Regards.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:06 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
"Live each day as if it's your last, because someday, you're gonna be right."

(Ray Charles)

Old 11-23-2009, 06:11 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,460,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
But, even people who are severely infirmed can have great purpose , meaning, and be an encouragement to others , especially close loved ones. Some of the nicest conversations , expressions of love , and much needed reconciliation and emotional healing can take place at such a time when it didnt earlier . Most of the time, pain management can administered to make the Infirmed cope better .
A valid argument, but begs who is to decide another persons "Purpose"? certainly not me.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:58 PM

475 posts, read 1,643,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone_Sculpture_Artist View Post
If you could, would you wish to escape the experience of the process of death, dying? Assisted suicide? Or do you think the process of dying is natural and should be experienced?

We will all face it, sooner or later.
I am in the same boat. I have wondered about the value of life. For me life has no value, your on this earth for a few years, enjoy it and then you move on.

I use to think death was tragic event. Not any more. I think it may be a blessing to move on.

And sometimes I wonder if life on this earth is really hell.

I will find out someday.

and on the subject, how can I be assured my last wishes will be followed?

Last edited by dick1973; 11-23-2009 at 11:14 PM..

Old 11-24-2009, 02:26 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,363,275 times
Poster 00.75 obviously has specific religious beliefs guiding his/her decisions about life and death. They are not congruent with mine. What worries me is, will people with those kids of beliefs attempt to force me to live and die by their beliefs, through law or policy or whatever?
I don't overly think I have "great purpose" now in life. I just live, as have billions of people before me. I don't have a god belief or any such that human life has some special meaning or message from god. Therefore, I wouldn't care if my impaired life is seen to have great purpose by someone else's belief system. I would want to be left alone from said belief systems to commit rational suicide. And it's not only about pain. It's about debilitation, unacceptable (to me) limits on living with no possibility of improvement, or irrevocable loss of mind. I don't care if someone else finds my life to have meaning, either in those conditions or not. I just want to be left free of other people's very personal beliefs about such things.
(I do think the Christian story has a sort of masochism in it- to suffer like Jesus allegedy did. Fine if that story is yours, don't make it mine).

Old 11-24-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
A valid argument, but begs who is to decide another persons "Purpose"? certainly not me.
The infirmed Patient needs to see purpose in his/her life ...even when its toward the end as well as the surrounding loved ones and friends ; it is the Creator who deems our life has significant purpose and meaning during good times and bad times / during vibrant moments in life and during our final days . Alot can come out of suffering if we view it from a divine perspective and are willing to let it play out ; God has given us intrinsic worth , dignity, and purpose ... and not only when we are physically healthy ; this alone should trump whatever society deems as productive existence and non productive existence and even what our feelings are telling us at any given time , for, our feelings cannot always be trusted especially in times of challenge .

If and when I get to the place where im spending the last few days of my life in a bed waiting to die (graduate) , I shall spend the time as productively as possible which will include praising and singing to my Creator who cared enough to take all my sins away from my accepting Christ , who gave me many wonderful people thruout my life, many great experiences, and a real hope and expectant joy of one day soon being with him forever in undeserved bliss. That is what turns my crank now and will continue to until the last earthly moment.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:17 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,363,275 times
Yeah, yeah. Whatever.
Is prostelytizing the same as a great debate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates