Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 02:58 AM

888 posts, read 885,867 times

Advertisements

We talk about working together, solving problems that affect all Americans, blah blah, etc etc.

It's all BS.

How are we supposed to work together when individualism is king here?

You know... I get mine, you get yours, and the hell with people I don't know.
Why should I have to pay for you? I didn't vote for it, so why should I contribute?

If a problem is identified in America and it doesn't affect one personally, instead of working together to solve the problem, Americans have an "every man for himself" mentality.

It's makes cooperation and solving problems together very difficult indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 03:07 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
The growth of individualism is a lie. As far as I am concerned individualism is almost non-existent. Collectivism is the root of everything in work, family, religion, and in the university. I saw the growth of collectivism in high school. It all started with "group work", what they meant was "groupthink". If you don't contribute to groupthink and herd-mentality then something is seriously wrong with you, and that philosophy is ingrained into every human starting at a very young age.

Now, it is getting out of hand. The first experiences with collectivism for most humans is in religion and politics. Both groups mold or shape "individuals'" thinking and behaviors to be similar to a prototype and it is always collectivist-focused. They want you to think for "the greatest good" but never for yourself and never consider what you really think as valid, because what you think isn't special or useful and you are not important as an individual, you only matter when you are part of a team or a group. They are so indoctrinated that they actually think that they are thinking for themselves, when they are clearly not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDaysCopenhagenSkoal View Post
We talk about working together, solving problems that affect all Americans, blah blah, etc etc.

It's all BS.

Why should I have to pay for you? I didn't vote for it, so why should I contribute?

If a problem is identified in America and it doesn't affect one personally, instead of working together to solve the problem, Americans have an "every man for himself" mentality.

Last edited by artsyguy; 11-21-2009 at 03:16 AM..

Old 11-21-2009, 05:32 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,683,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
The growth of individualism is a lie. As far as I am concerned individualism is almost non-existent. Collectivism is the root of everything in work, family, religion, and in the university. I saw the growth of collectivism in high school. It all started with "group work", what they meant was "groupthink". If you don't contribute to groupthink and herd-mentality then something is seriously wrong with you, and that philosophy is ingrained into every human starting at a very young age.

Now, it is getting out of hand. The first experiences with collectivism for most humans is in religion and politics. Both groups mold or shape "individuals'" thinking and behaviors to be similar to a prototype and it is always collectivist-focused. They want you to think for "the greatest good" but never for yourself and never consider what you really think as valid, because what you think isn't special or useful and you are not important as an individual, you only matter when you are part of a team or a group. They are so indoctrinated that they actually think that they are thinking for themselves, when they are clearly not.
EXACTLY!
Good job, artsyguy...

The truth is that most of the 'problems' are conceived (or created out of whole cloth) to either excuse each other, or to blame a nebulous group of enemies, so that no one has to take individual responsibility for their own actions and lives. Individuals can solve problems, can be innovative, creative, and productive, and can work together with other individuals on a fair and equitable basis to do so. Those who think that some group or elected body can solve all of their problems are not merely lazy fools, they are dangerous ones, because they inhibit those who can reason, think and solve.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:09 AM

2,637 posts, read 4,460,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDaysCopenhagenSkoal View Post

It's all BS.

I see it like this---we all wear pants, just not the same pair.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:58 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I think thast in mordern society individaulism is stronger than ever.One example is the neighborhoods;now days to get people to keepup their prpoerty its normal to have a contract called a HOA. Even fmilioes are less a co-operative group and the coutrs are full of claims aginst each other.We may co-operate for certain things but the indivdual is alive and well in this country.Even taxes are individual;otherwise all would owe the same amount to support the group that are able bodied. There are more and more that contribute nothing to the group called society and in fact are dependents.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:53 AM

25,684 posts, read 18,773,845 times
There is nothing inherently wrong with individuality/individualism. It's just another 'life philosophy.' And just because one is an individualist, it doesn't mean he/she doesn't give a damn about anyone else. In fact, it's often quite the opposite. An individualist in the true sense of the word actually cares MORE about other individuals because he/she understands that the world is filled with individuals who have the same rights to their dreams, aspirations, and pursuits that he/she has. One the other hand, a collectivist tends to not give a tinkers damn about what any one individual needs or wants. A collectivist has a 'one size fits all' mentality. It's a hand-holding mentality--a 'these are your needs, period' mentality. Problem is, we are all individuals, we are not a homogeneous collective. There are such groups, but not all of us are part of such a group. A true individualist works with other people just fine--in fact better than a collectivist, because he/she actually thinks for him/herself. A group thinker is totally dependent upon the groupthink mentality. Dissent and free-thinking is discouraged.

I think one amazing thing about the founders of this country is that they understood that. They gave us the right to self determination. If we wanted to be individuals, we were granted the right. If we wanted to be in a collective, we could do that as well (cooperatives)... all without any interference from the government. Now that is going away. Actually it's been almost gone for a long time--first threatened by large corporations and now by the one-two punch of large corporations and big government big brother BS. We are headed toward a 'one size fits all' mentality. I think it's very sad indeed.

As a final note to address the OP: Look, man, you are mistaking an individualist with a selfish pr**k. They are not the same.

Last edited by ChrisC; 11-21-2009 at 09:51 AM..

Old 11-21-2009, 08:58 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,223,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
There is nothing inherently wrong with individuality. It's just another 'life philosophy.' And just because one is an individualist, it doesn't mean he/she doesn't give a damn about anyone else. In fact, it's often quite the opposite. An individualist in the true sense of the word actually cares MORE about other individuals because he/she understands that the world is filled with individuals who have the same rights, dreams, and aspirations that he/she has. One the other hand, a collectivist tends to not give a tinkers damn about what any one individual needs or wants. A collectivist has a 'one size fits all' mentality. It's a hand-holding mentality. Problem is, we are all individuals, we are not a homogeneous collective. There are such groups, but not all of us are part of such a group.

I think one amazing thing about the founders of this country is that they understood that. They gave us the right to self determination. If we wanted to be individuals, we were granted the right. If we wanted to be in a collective, we could do that as well (cooperatives)... all without any interference from the government. Now that is going away. Actually it's been almost gone for a long time. Now we are headed toward a 'one size fits all' mentality. I think it's very sad indeed.

As a final note to address the OP: Look, man, you are mistaking an individualist with a selfish pr**k. They are not the same.

What he said! With more curse words.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:19 AM

25,684 posts, read 18,773,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
What he said! With more curse words.
It's the oatmeal thing again.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:55 PM

136 posts, read 235,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
There is nothing inherently wrong with individuality/individualism. It's just another 'life philosophy.' And just because one is an individualist, it doesn't mean he/she doesn't give a damn about anyone else. In fact, it's often quite the opposite. An individualist in the true sense of the word actually cares MORE about other individuals because he/she understands that the world is filled with individuals who have the same rights to their dreams, aspirations, and pursuits that he/she has. One the other hand, a collectivist tends to not give a tinkers damn about what any one individual needs or wants. A collectivist has a 'one size fits all' mentality. It's a hand-holding mentality--a 'these are your needs, period' mentality. Problem is, we are all individuals, we are not a homogeneous collective. There are such groups, but not all of us are part of such a group. A true individualist works with other people just fine--in fact better than a collectivist, because he/she actually thinks for him/herself. A group thinker is totally dependent upon the groupthink mentality. Dissent and free-thinking is discouraged.

I think one amazing thing about the founders of this country is that they understood that. They gave us the right to self determination. If we wanted to be individuals, we were granted the right. If we wanted to be in a collective, we could do that as well (cooperatives)... all without any interference from the government. Now that is going away. Actually it's been almost gone for a long time--first threatened by large corporations and now by the one-two punch of large corporations and big government big brother BS. We are headed toward a 'one size fits all' mentality. I think it's very sad indeed.

I agree with your reasoning. However, I do feel like there is a requisite level of "forced collectivism" in order to ensure greater possibilities of self-determination. I think anarchy would be pure hell on earth and would limit each individuals potential.

Do you agree that there should be at least some level of "forced collectivism", for the greater good of the individuals within the society? For instance, making murder a punishable offense, would be an easy example of such a policy.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:54 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,460,692 times
"Freedon of choice" and "forced anything" just don't go together. --You can never trust the guy doing the forcing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates