Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 07:14 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

Of course, the cost of a wig, dress, make-up, earrings, high-heels would defeat the purpose.
Just slip into your wife's dress, or pick something up at Goodwill. I think you're trying to make excuses for not doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 07:46 AM

2,637 posts, read 4,461,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
Let's take the gender thing away for one second. Just a second!

There are other types of discrimination, right? Race and age discrimination come to mind.

When I was 3, my parents took me to my first baseball game. The team gave out free hats to kids. My father had to buy a hat for himself and my mother. Its the same deal. Its a promotion. Its not something the establishment does daily (or nightly). It gets a family in the door with a promise of "something free" for your little one. Kids under the age of 4 or something got in for free. In the long run, it creates a family atmosphere. Families might just bring their kids more often along with 10,000 other families which will fill the seats, buy tickets, hot dogs, sodas and souvenirs.

I don't think anybody cries discrimination about that.

In the case of Ladies' Night, it creates the atmosphere that the owners want. They get lots of women in the bar, maybe some guys wind up buying them drinks after "Ladies' Hour" ends. Maybe some of those patrons return the following night (not Ladies' Night) since they all had a good time. Same concept.
I don't think any one is suggesting that Ladies Night is not a good business plan, and money maker. There is big money to be made by "exploiting women", and we all know this. The point however, is discriminating against one sex, in favor of another sex is illegal, Plain and simple. What the business owner may want, or not want is totally irrelevant.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:53 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
If you buy a cup of coffee for a dollar, but the person next to you, is of the opposite sex, and gets theirs for free, due to their sex, then that is discrimination. this is not all that hard.
Ok seriously... I'm finding it to be hilarious that men are complaining about this. Let's see how "ladies' night" usually progresses:

A bunch of girls (maybe one or two guys) show up at a bar for free, and proceed to get smashed. Men show up, pay their fee, in the HOPES of taking home a drunk girl. I mean, this was a nightly event in college for a lot of people I knew. The girls got to drink to free, the guys had a shot of hooking up, and that was that. It's a business move - lure women in with free margaritas, this will bring in men who will pay for their own drinks, and eventually for the ladies.

The baseball cap for kids was a good example. Also, yes "ladies' night" might be the most popular, but plenty of clubs often do other nights - "shades and fedora night" where guys (and some creative girls) get in free if they wear proper attire, costume night on Halloween, sports night if you wear a particular team's jersey.. really.

This is nothing new, and I'm really surprised to see men complaining about it. And this is the forum where everyone tends to cry about how stifling and PC the world has become...

Old 11-25-2009, 07:58 AM

If that is the case, the Ladies of the night, should just hang price tags around their necks, and be up front and honest like any other working girl would do. --so now with what you add, we have "discrimination", plus "entrapment."--and you leaned this resoning where, in high school???

Old 11-25-2009, 08:05 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,233,408 times
it's not our fault you guys think with your "other" head.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
it's not our fault you guys think with your "other" head.
My Mom warned me about "Painted women" years ago. but I got married twice anyhow. I should have listened.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:15 AM

30 posts, read 58,535 times
I can remember when i was 18 that girls that were 18 could get into some of the clubs but guys that were 18 could not. That use to tick me off everytime!!

Old 11-25-2009, 09:20 AM

I like the idea of a hordes of Gals to choose from. and personally have no problem with them getting in for free. And discounted drink, save me money. but at the end of the night those discounts should be deducted from our settled price. Business is business after all.

Old 11-27-2009, 07:03 PM

369 posts, read 776,742 times
Women can generally get away with a lot more than men in clubs, concerts, etc. Technically it is a form of sexism since men and women aren't equal. However I think its best for the business, men, and women...thus making it a win-win-win. So in that sense it is discrimination, but who cares???

Old 11-27-2009, 07:06 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,669,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
So is it OK if he does the same in basis of race? Say "Whitey's Night", in the expectation of getting more hard drinking Klansmen in? Reduced prices for whites, so the Klansmen will feel more at home, more will turn up, and hopefully drink harder, for an increased profit?

Have to admit, you took legalese to a new hieght with the above, but that's what it is, playing with wording.

I'd have to do a little research to decide whether I thought a reduced or free policy for the women constitutes "hiring" them. In which case then it would seem some taxes, FICA, etc. are owed by said parties...

Without that word "hiring" it starts to fall apart and become mere favoritism, which can also be construed in another light as discrimination and bigotry.

If this is OK, then why not just go back to separate but equal... only we don't even have to be equal any more?
So by this logic I suppose things like children's meals and such are illegal as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates