Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 03:17 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Real men can, at a minimum, change a flat, change their own oil, and drive a stick.
Yay, I'm a real man.

Now that I mostly ride bicycles instead, I can still fix my own flats. What makes me laugh is when I have to do it for a guy.

Oh, that reminds me, I taught Tony Stewart how to air up his bicycle tires. (In his defense, the valve stems are different that the ones found on cars).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 05:33 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
Man, my cousin owns a shop and his main employee is a 24 year old girl that weighs about 100 pounds. She runs circles around the big bad burly men. And it's REALLY fun watching her work I'd trust her any day of the week. It's 2010. Woman are strong and proud now, the way it should be!
I managed a Jiffy Lube locally for a few years (I know I know..but I was in school and needed flexible hours, plus it paid pretty well ) and it always made my day when I could see a guys face after he realized there was a 6' tall gal underneath their car

I liked working in the pit when I wasn't in the office doing managerial stuff. It's fun to yell and a GREAT workout for your upper body.

Although, I actually had a few women tell me they didn't trust me (as a female) to work on their vehicles...I think that was the worst. The guys would just get sheepish and mumble about how they 'didn't have time' to do their oil change

Old 02-23-2010, 06:58 PM

37,122 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I'm not aware of any full service stations in my town (CA). I know Oregon and NJ have them exclusively. I've been doing it myself for 30 years.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:44 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Yay, I'm a real man.

Now that I mostly ride bicycles instead, I can still fix my own flats. What makes me laugh is when I have to do it for a guy.

Oh, that reminds me, I taught Tony Stewart how to air up his bicycle tires. (In his defense, the valve stems are different that the ones found on cars).
I thought I could use "necessary, but not sufficient" here in the Great Debates and people would comprehend this - apparently not...

Old 02-23-2010, 08:16 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,691 times
Quote:
I thought I could use "necessary, but not sufficient" here in the Great Debates and people would comprehend this - apparently not...

And I thought that that most would pick up on the fact that I am not a man. *

YouTube - bee gees - more than a woman

* see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbole

Old 02-23-2010, 09:38 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,099,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
In the course of a family get together my aunt told us a story. She was going home from work and she needed gas. She wasn't with her husband and there was no one around to help her out. She had to pump her own gas! She was complaining about it like it was a horrible experience pumping her own gas! She felt that women should not pump gas; eventhough a girl in my town pumps gas all day. Since it does not take physical strength to pump gas, but was such the big deal? I could understand women not moving heavy objects around; I can even understand not enjoying pumping gas. But to make sucha big deal of it?! First, how many women refuse to pump gas? Secondly, (I do not know my aunt well) would you call my aunt a "diva" or a "queen?"
I doubt very much your aunt is either; she's merely from a different generation that grew-up with real service stations where helpful young men trotted over to her car when her tires rolled across the dinger hose and pumped her gas and washed her windows and checked her oil. See, those places used to be called "service stations" for a good reason.
It's like my Dad, he'd prolly whine like a little girl with a skinned knee is he had to do the dishes or cook Thanksgiving dinner--a task I bet your aunt would readily embrace.
I think your aunt is just used to the good ol' days when customer service was the norm, and not the lost art it often is today.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:03 AM

454 posts, read 688,356 times
I was 21 when I first seen a full-serve station

.....only in the rural areas of Texas and Mass. have I seen them..

Old 02-24-2010, 06:25 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
I guess most of us in this day and age have gotten past the idea that some things are 'requisite' in order to prove you're of superior quality for your gender.

Peeps is just peeps, man.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:13 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'm not aware of any full service stations in my town (CA). I know Oregon and NJ have them exclusively. I've been doing it myself for 30 years.
Can't speak about NJ, but I can Oregon...

Oregon does NOT have "full service stations" exclusively. Maybe it's my age and a difference of opinion on what is meant by full service...

Every Oregon station has someone pump your gas, true. But, even in Oregon, as in any other state I've been in, you don't get full service unless you pull into the full service pumps and therefore pay more for your gas.

To me, full service means you pull up, someone comes out, fills your tank, checks your fluids (oil, coolent, washer fluid) or at least asks if you want it checked, checks tire pressure, and cleans your windshield--all like every place used to do for everyone when I was a kid.

Most places in Oregon will pump your gas and that's it, certainly at the convenience stores. Shoot, nearly all of them you still have to get out and go inside to pay...just like any where else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates