Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 12:35 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,772,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
1. I don't know.
2. I don't know.
I believe you told me at one time that you were not an atheist ...so do you lean toward a personal Theistic Creator who brought this Universe into existence with its incredible fine tuning ? If so, is it possible to draw some conclusions about why he would fashion a personal Universe , and, if so is it reasonable to think you and I would fit into some purpose too ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 02:26 PM

522 posts, read 1,405,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
People can call themsevles whatever they want. It isn't for us to judge who the true Christians are/aren't. Leave that to God.

There are different Christian denominations that each have their own rituals. Who's to say which ritual is right? When I was 12, the last time I went to church the minister said that God was every where. You don't have to be in a church to worship or talk to God. I haven't stepped into a church since (well except for weddings and funerals). In fact, I'm an Agnostic now.

Reading the Bible doesn't automatically make anyone more or less Christian. People who study religion have read the Bible, most likely from front to back a few times.

Old 12-20-2009, 02:28 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
I believe you told me at one time that you were not an atheist ...so do you lean toward a personal Theistic Creator who brought this Universe into existence with its incredible fine tuning ? If so, is it possible to draw some conclusions about why he would fashion a personal Universe , and, if so is it reasonable to think you and I would fit into some purpose too ?
No, I'm just inclined to avoid absolutist pronouncements when armed with only fuzzy data.

Old 12-20-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
No, I'm just inclined to avoid absolutist pronouncements when armed with only fuzzy data.
But, when you look at the world, Solar System, and Universe ,DNA , a human body having some 60 major anatomical systems all working in unison, and over 150 scientifically confirmed and measured Physics Constants of our Cosmos (some to the 120th decimal point critical tolerance) which are ALL required to work collaboratively so earth can be here so we can live....seem like fuzzy data to you ? Or, does it seem to be the deliberate work of a personal Engineer, Designer, and Builder ? Is it more likely Natural Causes and Accidents spewed these into being and without a shred of purpose behind them ?

Old 12-20-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertysFate View Post

.... When I was 12, the last time I went to church the minister said that God was every where. You don't have to be in a church to worship or talk to God. I haven't stepped into a church since (well except for weddings and funerals). In fact, I'm an Agnostic now.
Its true you dont have to be in a Church ; but its likened to a roaring fireplace when logs are together versus the fire growing dim and going out thru seperating the logs so they are on their own. Perhaps you had some bad experience in church or perhaps other things in life kind of put your relationship with God on hold .... but whatever the cause.... I hope you will give the Creator of the Cosmos another chance as everything else pales in comparison of importance . He extends an invitation to all who are willing to seek him , know him better, develop love for him....in this very brief life , so it may continue on in the next only in his direct presence. To miss this is a great tragedy . I hope this Christmas youll move toward God and open your heart up. No one will ever regret doing so . Regards.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:59 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
..seem like fuzzy data to you ? . . . . Is it more likely Natural Causes and Accidents spewed these into being and without a shred of purpose behind them ?
Merely being "more likely" places it in the fuzzy data arena.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Merely being "more likely" places it in the fuzzy data arena.
To every person on earth, there is nothing 'fuzzy' about the reality regarding the incredible wonders of Creation which dont come about willy-nilly. Merry Christmas to you...and I hope you will choose the real meaning behind it. It can be yours .

Old 12-24-2009, 09:08 PM

8 posts, read 42,505 times
The term "Christian" can be conceived rather simplistically as one who accepts Christ as their saviour, or in another way as one who belongs to the Christian church as an organization.

The Nicene Creed encapsulates the basic beliefs of Christianity as a faith, which connect the dots logically between the ancient scriptures and what Jesus said in his ministry on earth, as the basis for the organized religion called Christianity, which at times seems to very unorganized and subdivided into denominations. This is the agreed upon foundation which a true Christian must come to terms with and accept in his or her heart to be a practising Christian. It seems to me that if one does believe in Christ as divine and as one whose life is worthy to emulate, then one logically must believe that which Christ himself believed and professed, and wold later direct as commands for us to follow. These are also reflected in Baptismal vows.

"We believe in one God,
the Father, the Almighty,
maker of heaven and earth,
of all that is, seen and unseen.

We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ,
the only son of God,
eternally begotten of the Father,
God from God, Light from Light,
true God from true God,
begotten, not made,
of one being with the Father.
Through him all things were made.
For us and for our salvation
he came down from heaven:
by the power of the Holy Spirit
he became incarnate from the Virgin Mary,
and was made man.

For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate;
he suffered death and was buried.
On the third day he rose again
in accordance with the Scriptures;
he ascended into heaven
and is seated at the right hand of the Father.

He will come again in glory
to judge the living and the dead,
and his kingdom will have no end.

We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life,
who proceeds from the Father and the Son.
With the Father and the Son
he is worshipped and glorified.
He has spoken through the Prophets.

We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church.
We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.
We look for the resurrection of the dead,
and the life of the world to come.

Last edited by DennyO1; 12-24-2009 at 09:12 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates