Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 05:12 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,460,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
agree.. what the hell do they do for the fans, but rob the gullible from there hard earned cash. and they live like kings from it!!!! it's sad that a basketball or baseball player makes more than a brain surgeon or even the president of the united states for bouncing, batting or throwing balls.. the country is back @zz backwards..
But the President, don't have a good three point jumper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 10:04 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
OK, I stand corrected. I was actually thinking of the Brooklyn Dodgers from the 1940s and 50s, most of whom weren't born in Brooklyn, but many did make it their home while they played ball here.
Players salaries were so low then, that players couldn't afford to maintain a family home in two cities, so they often moved their families to the major league city where they played. In the off-season, they would just stay with mom and dad on the farm back in Arkansas. Burt most had to have an off-season job, to support their families.

There is a great story about the 1944 St. Louis Cardinals and St. Louis Browns, whose managers, Billy Southworth and Luke Sewell, shared an apartment in St. Louis. Both teams played in Sportsmen's Park, so they could never be scheduled for home games on the same day, and they never saw each other. But both teams won the pennant, and they had to manage against each other in the World Series---and sleep in the same room after the game every night. And maybe the same bed, for all I know.

Last edited by jtur88; 11-25-2009 at 10:13 PM..

Old 11-25-2009, 11:46 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,056,542 times
I support my college football and baseball team!

Old 11-27-2009, 12:37 AM

300 posts, read 429,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paparaciii View Post
Maybe I've got a wrong impression but I've never seen huge mobs of American fans supporting their national team, in whatever sport.
We don't have a "national team" in any of the Professional Sports in the United States. And, we have numerous sports too - Baseball, Basketball, Football, Hockey and more.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:04 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWonderWhy1 View Post
We don't have a "national team" in any of the Professional Sports in the United States.
I think he meant the teams we put together to compete in the Olympics, about which not everyone in this country goes crazy.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:14 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I think he meant the teams we put together to compete in the Olympics, about which not everyone in this country goes crazy.
But there is the point that the USA is a large enough country to have a monopoly on the talent for two sports that traditionally are uniquely American (baseball and football) and one that is Canadian (hockey). So the rest of the world has not been able to compete against the USA in those sports. That leaves us out of "nationalistitic" competition.

On the other hand, the countries of Europe all play the same sport, and they all play against each other, so that fosters a nationalism about their competitive sports teams.

When the Stanley Cup playoffs roll around, I doubt if very many Americas would consistenly root for the American team to beat the Canadian team strictly because they are "American". Nor did anyone root for the Phillies or the Braves to beat the Blue Jays in the World Series for reasons of Americanism.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:32 AM

I would rather play a sport at my modest level, than "watch" a Pro play at his level. ---Like I care how good he is, more than I want to Play.

Old 11-27-2009, 03:35 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,899,017 times
We have national teams?

First, our states are bigger than most countries.

Second, I like to play someone who I could hypothetically walk across the state boarder and punch in the face.

Third, only US teams are "real" teams and no one else counts.

Forth, when we say "best in the world" we really mean best in the US cause again, we don't care about anyone else.

How hard is it for other countries to understand that?

Old 11-27-2009, 08:58 PM

Our Cites play each other. rather than playing other Countries so much. ---that big pond makes travel a little difficult. Europeans can take the train to games.

Old 11-28-2009, 11:11 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Prettymuch the US sports market is confine to national games and few really care for internation games. It more to do with different sports taste and tradition IMO. For examle peole watched lance armstrong and then it dies off. Forumula ! racing has never been big really. In some respects americans actually like their home sports because they can attend game or event in person.Often they follow the individuals thru thier college days on to thier professional careers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates