Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 09:22 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,205,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Are you asking me? The is no solution to the wrangling partisan political foolishness this country has gotten itself into. Except maybe a firing squad.

As for the health care system, as I said, just pick any country at random and do it their way. It would certainly be an improvement.

Here is a challenge for you. Find one single American who is on Medicare who wishes he had private insurance instead. Just one. If you can't find one, then put everybody on Medicare.
You just found one....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 09:24 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,212,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Are you asking me? The is no solution to the wrangling partisan political foolishness this country has gotten itself into. Except maybe a firing squad.

As for the health care system, as I said, just pick any country at random and do it their way. It would certainly be an improvement.

Here is a challenge for you. Find one single American who is on Medicare who wishes he had private insurance instead. Just one. If you can't find one, then put everybody on Medicare.

No, I wasn't asking you because we are on the same page on this one, thus far. I thought that I was posting right behind the OP. I should have just quoted it to avoid confusion. Sorry, about that.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
The ones that seem to think it will be free or at a very low cost..

Which ones?

Old 11-24-2009, 09:35 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,198,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
And what do you think the solution is?
Sorry, thought you meant jtur

I really don't know. If we have fewer physicians right now (which doesn't surprise me, considering the amount of time people tend to see a doctor these days - you interact mostly with a nurse as it is), and doctors in general feel that they are not fairly compensated for the amount of work that they currently do, then I can't see the situation improving if we a) introduce a huge influx of patients who can now afford HC because of the gov't, and b) less people might want to become doctors since they feel they are not compensated well for the amount of work they do (and imagine how it would be with that influx of patients).

I'd like to see a workable solution for all involved - the people without HC (at least those without it due to preexisting conditions, or because a job won't offer it), the doctors (who will most certainly have to have an increased workload over what they currently hve, which is a lot), and for the people who do have HC, but will probably be dropped if their employers decide it's cheaper to pay the penalty than to insure their workers - or for those who will have to bear the enormous financial burden that will result from this.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:57 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,722,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
You just found one....
Any details? Care to tell us why you would rather give back your entire social security check as private insurance premium, instead of having Medicare?

Old 11-24-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedSurprise View Post
Sorry, thought you meant jtur

I really don't know. If we have fewer physicians right now (which doesn't surprise me, considering the amount of time people tend to see a doctor these days - you interact mostly with a nurse as it is), and doctors in general feel that they are not fairly compensated for the amount of work that they currently do, then I can't see the situation improving if we a) introduce a huge influx of patients who can now afford HC because of the gov't, and b) less people might want to become doctors since they feel they are not compensated well for the amount of work they do (and imagine how it would be with that influx of patients).

I'd like to see a workable solution for all involved - the people without HC (at least those without it due to preexisting conditions, or because a job won't offer it), the doctors (who will most certainly have to have an increased workload over what they currently hve, which is a lot), and for the people who do have HC, but will probably be dropped if their employers decide it's cheaper to pay the penalty than to insure their workers - or for those who will have to bear the enormous financial burden that will result from this.
Ok, so the doctors (AMA) that were terrified that there would be too many doctors (AKA I need more money) lobbied to prevent people from entering the profession have finally realized that they made a huge error. They have also realized, well those that have not ripped of medicaid or insurance companies, that the insurance companies are screwing them around. So, now they want people to pay for the insurance and charge extra for a waiting room with plush chairs, bottled water and a 24 hour cell phone number. Red tape, like the kind that says.........hey you can't charge for a service that wasn't provided.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:08 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,629,449 times
They can just find another doctor that accepts insurnace or medicare.There have always been many in the top of their field who only trat preivate poatents that pay cash;nothing new except there are more of them now. Likely to be even more in the future as many don't go into medicine for financial reasons;but pick other fields with less education cost;time and cost of building a practice.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:30 AM

Well, one of the things that I think is overlooked is that there will always be a shortage of doctors in rural areas. What major attraction is there for doctors to move there?

Old 11-24-2009, 10:49 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,205,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
Which ones?
We could play IF IF all day, I choose not to. But if you are interested in finding out read a forum called City-Data...

Old 11-24-2009, 10:51 AM

We are not playing IF, we are playing you just went with a huge generalization that you can't back up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates