U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 02:00 PM

898 posts, read 831,487 times

Advertisements

I'm still in the dark ages here. Nobody can contact me when I'm outside of the house, and I like it that way.

I see many people talking with friends, only to be interrupted by an annoying ring tone and a friend who is more concerned with the ringing phone than the conversation he is interrupting.

Others say they "need" the phone for work. Well, I can tell you one thing, unless my employer wants to buy the phone, pay the bill, AND pay me overtime for being on call... the answer to that for me is not only no way, but no f'n way!

At any rate, it seems most people have become so accustomed to their electronic leashes that they fail to realize they are more of a curse than a blessing.

Just my pathetic rant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 02:03 PM

28,114 posts, read 24,084,256 times
Not pathetic. I, too, see a cell phone as a convenience for me - not a leash the rest of the world can use to get a hold of me.

Cell phones are great tools. People just abuse them.
And it is so freakin' rude when you are spending time with someone and they answer calls and texts.

Sooner or later, though, we will see the cell phone-using drivers as the new drunk drivers. And not a moment too soon.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:17 PM

1,149 posts, read 2,761,663 times
I have a cell phone, but rarely use it - it's mostly a convenience for my husband to contact me, since we carpool. If I feel like I need to turn the world off, I turn on airplane mode.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:22 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,557,024 times
Cell phones are a curse IMO! I've had one, now that I don't have it sometimes I feel that I might need help, "What would I do if something bad happens?" I prefer the feeling of freedom and not knowing whats going to happen, and not worrying about it.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:24 PM

7,339 posts, read 7,723,841 times
A curse. I own a cell phone but its a tracphone and its only for if my car breaks down or an emergency. I am like you. No one may contact me outside of my house and i like it that way.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:25 PM

5,568 posts, read 10,898,943 times
Some professions really do need a cell phone for work. My parents are real estate agents and builders. They would be far far less efficient without cell phones, to the point that they would be nearly unable to work. They've both had cell/car phones since back in the 80's, when they were big boxes that went in your car. For a while, my dad carried 2 phones.

On the other hand, neither my husband nor I have or have ever had cell phones. Every now and then something comes up where we wish we had one, but 99.9999% of the time, we are glad that we don't.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:27 PM

31,385 posts, read 18,539,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melinuxfool View Post
I'm still in the dark ages here. Nobody can contact me when I'm outside of the house, and I like it that way.
Then either don't carry it outside or don't answer it. Problem solved.

My bill is in the mail.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:45 PM

11,320 posts, read 10,114,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melinuxfool View Post

I see many people talking with friends, only to be interrupted by an annoying ring tone and a friend who is more concerned with the ringing phone than the conversation he is interrupting.

Others say they "need" the phone for work. Well, I can tell you one thing, unless my employer wants to buy the phone, pay the bill, AND pay me overtime for being on call... the answer to that for me is not only no way, but no f'n way!

At any rate, it seems most people have become so accustomed to their electronic leashes that they fail to realize they are more of a curse than a blessing.

Just my pathetic rant.
No, I'm with you. I don't carry one either. They can either leave a message at my office or home. If I'm not there, I'm eating, sleeping or going to the bathroom and don't want to talk.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:47 PM

38,755 posts, read 39,152,929 times
Everything is a blessing to people who are wise enough to use it well, and a curse to those who are not.

I have a landline, no answering machine. If I don't answer, call back later. A have a prepaid cell phone that I carry with me when traveling. I've used it maybe ten times in two years. and I think I've received maybe one or two calls on it. It costs $50 a year, plus $20 up front for the machine, and I have over 400 minutes credit on it which never expire if I keep renewing.

Last edited by jtur88; 11-24-2009 at 02:56 PM..

Old 11-24-2009, 03:17 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,065,055 times
I do not have a landline, and haven't since moving out of my parents house in 2002-ish. I do not use my phone as much as other people that I work with/socialize with. I really dislike talking on the phone, but I want to have it with me at all times. Going against the general sentiment in this thread so far, I like it for texting (not while driving). I always hated those pointless phone calls that lasted under 1 minute...problem solved, for me. My phone can also browse the web with just as well as most lap tops, my goddaughter can play games on it, I can bank online, check my 401k, snap a quick pic or video if I need to...I personally think cell phones are a great thing to have and very functional in relation to every day life. Yes, I could live without it, but i'll sacrafice the 70 bucks a month.

No conversations I have do I ever pause to answer my phone, I can always call them right back. I don't view them as a curse at all, for ME. I agree people with no cell phone manners are the worst though, screaming into your phone on a bus, train or something like that....blech
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates