U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 11:04 AM

23,875 posts, read 10,653,551 times
Well I already had it, but even if I didn't, I still wouldn't have gotten the vaccine.

I think its a little overhyped. Nothing wrong with taking precautions against getting sick, but the people who are lining up for a vaccine are crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 06:21 AM

88 posts, read 99,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Well I already had it, but even if I didn't, I still wouldn't have gotten the vaccine.

I think its a little overhyped. Nothing wrong with taking precautions against getting sick, but the people who are lining up for a vaccine are crazy.
Not vaccinating yourself against a pandemic virus when you have the means and opportunity is CRAZY! It's a simple shot for crying out loud. The time and effort it takes to get a vaccination sure beats laying in bed with fever, chills and body aches for 5 or more days.

Old 11-27-2009, 07:49 AM

5,079 posts, read 8,618,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sike0000 View Post
Who believes we are getting out of control with worrying about swine flu, vaccinations etc?

This has been the first time I have witnessed something like this that has gone to such extremes. Granted, I am only 36, and maybe someone older can chime in, but has this ever happened before?

As I walk around the office there are sanitizing lotions everywhere that people congregate (coffee room, break areas, desks etc), and now I have noticed signs showing someone how to wash their hands! All the kids are bringing their own lotion to school.

Sure, I hate germs and like things to be sanitized just like everyone else. But how extreme is this going to get? I know in Japan and other countries people wear masks when they are sick. Have not seen that here yet.

What does everyone think?

Personally I do not know anybody that has gotten swine flu, and the general level of health doesn't seem to be any worse off than prior years here in the office. Anybody know anyone that has gotten really sick, or perhaps even died from this? A coworker of mine did have to take his son back to the hospital at the doctor's request just to be sure it wasn't swine flu, but other than that I have not heard of anyone with it.

Read some of my other posts about vaccines and illness. Indeed this thing has gotten out of control, the media is much to blame for blowing it up but people are so quick to panic.
I work in a medical clinic, we have had two confirmed cases but the symptoms were not much different than your average flu, the difference with H1N1 is that they hit you fast and harder than the flu. The specific symptoms are a dry, unproductive cough and fever. The rest of the symptoms are the same.

The biggest cause of it spreading? Poor handwashing hygeine. People touch everything, then they touch their face. I've been coughed on, been around sick people here for three years now, never got the flu, never got H1N1. I wash my hands, wipe down my keyboard and phone and that's about it.

I don't go nuts with sanitizer because you actually DO need some germs...

My daughter works with a germaphobe, won't touch anything without holding a papertowel to touch it - guess what? He got H1N1 - confirmed. LOL

But yes, it's out of control and everyone is making a huge deal out of it. Incidentally, i've never had the flu or H1N1 vaccine and never will.

Last edited by andreaspercheron; 11-27-2009 at 07:50 AM.. Reason: and...

Old 11-27-2009, 10:00 AM

88 posts, read 99,693 times
Andreaspercheron: I work in health care as well...and I felt the same way you did. For many years, I did not receive the flu shot and never got the flu. I wash my hands regularly and take vitamins...etc. Then one year...it hit! It was the worst week of my life. Since then, I have religiously received the flu vaccine. This year I added the H1N1 vaccine as well. Why??? Because I don't want to get sick!

In Texas, we have seen large numbers of folks coming in with H1N1. Our hospital administration is asking for 100% of our staff to have both the flu and H1N1 vaccine. Many of my neighbors have had it as well as several of my friends and co-workers. I know of a healthy 42 year old man who developed H1N1 and died from complications of pneumonia.

A little prevention goes a long way.

Best wishes for great health!

Old 11-27-2009, 10:36 AM

2,637 posts, read 2,664,562 times
Nope, still none here I have heard about.

Old 11-27-2009, 01:58 PM

11,254 posts, read 9,608,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sike0000 View Post
Who believes we are getting out of control with worrying about swine flu, vaccinations etc?

This has been the first time I have witnessed something like this that has gone to such extremes. Granted, I am only 36, and maybe someone older can chime in, but has this ever happened before?

As I walk around the office there are sanitizing lotions everywhere that people congregate (coffee room, break areas, desks etc), and now I have noticed signs showing someone how to wash their hands! All the kids are bringing their own lotion to school.

Sure, I hate germs and like things to be sanitized just like everyone else. But how extreme is this going to get? I know in Japan and other countries people wear masks when they are sick. Have not seen that here yet.

What does everyone think?

Personally I do not know anybody that has gotten swine flu, and the general level of health doesn't seem to be any worse off than prior years here in the office. Anybody know anyone that has gotten really sick, or perhaps even died from this? A coworker of mine did have to take his son back to the hospital at the doctor's request just to be sure it wasn't swine flu, but other than that I have not heard of anyone with it.
I had it about three weeks ago (just about my whole family got it at once) It was one of my more miserable illnesses but at not time did I actually believe I was in danger of dying, and I didn't even go to the doctor. In fact the only who did was my son, who so kindly brought it home for us. I was down for about 5 days.

But otherwise, I'm pretty convinced swine flu paranoia is just as valid as fears of alien abductions and crop dusting cities with pacification drugs.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:23 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,000,085 times
I took my son down to get a shot on October 29. The first of two. We were there for about 4-5 hours. Then I found out that they were giving the shots at the schools.

I went to work and one of the women that I work with said that 6 of her nephews came down with it and they had received the shot at school. According to her, the family doctor said that he believed the shots had been "watered down". I'm just not medically knowledgable enough to know how that works right there or if it is even possible for it to work.

At any rate, I am really glad that I took my kid down and we waited for as long as we did. See, we have this agreement: I will do everything possible not to bring home crazy stuff that I run into like: MRSA, Scabies, Pink Eye, Hepatitis, HIV, or Lice, cold's or flu. He must do what he can not to bring home any of the crazy stuff that he runs into like colds, flu, lice, Pink Eye and MRSA. We do what we can.

Wht really ticked me off about the whole thing is that all of the at risk people were supposed to have this first. Yet, I saw people that were not in that category lined up. Secondly, there are groups that should have been included because they are at risk just by the sheer number of people that they come into contact with and they were not included.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:24 AM

7,200 posts, read 7,891,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone_Sculpture_Artist View Post
All fine and dandy and agreed, except for one thing! It's mutating and completely mimicing the 1918 pandemic in hots spots around the world. It's not just a flu in these places. We have black burned lungs and hemmorrhagic death occuring now. All bets are off as far as I'm concerned. I suspect after the holiday weekend, the media will begin picking up on the story here. It's all over Europe, but for some reason, they are silent about it here.
This is mimicking the 1918 pandemic, but that is not a surprise, not unexpected. In 1918/19 the first wave of the flu was average, the second wave of flu was devastating, the third wave was relatively mild.

It is still the flu, but it's most often a secondary infection, pneumonia, which kills. The "...black burned lungs and hemmorrhagic death..." is probably Streptococcus pneumonia.

Keep warm, eat your chicken soup and don't stand at the checkout next to a couching person.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:42 AM

3,597 posts, read 4,732,557 times
I have had it for 3 weeks. Have not tested if it's H1N1, but the authorities say it's the only strain circulating here in NS. The first 3 days were hard and fast, a heavy case of flu. Since then, I just don't know what is going on. It's a mess. I have forced cough, that starts when an area in my throat lining (that feels like an open sore) gets hit with dry or cold air. Dry air means any store/mall/office. It hits that raw spot, I have to run out, forcefully coughing without any ability to stop. I can't spend time in any office. It cut short my classes, my dentist visits with the kids. On top of that, I am weak and every chore is like climbing a huge mountain.

I was given pneumonia shot way before all this started, in September, so that gives a bit of peace of mind. I was given both general flu and H1N1 vaccines sometime in the last 1.5 weeks. Since it was after the onset of my problems, I don't know whether it's helping or harming me. It sucks.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:55 AM

41,657 posts, read 44,962,926 times
IU actaully know several peoploe who thought they hadf the seasonal or siwne flu but when tested did not;so its had o the internet to say how bad it is. If OP thniks this is panic or over concern he shoulkd ahve live in teh days of Polio .Parents where scared to dead of their children getting it.When the vacine became avilable people lineup to take it all around the coutnry.I remmeebr waiting in lin eoutside a school for hours with my parnets.People where very orderly and patient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates