Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 10:36 AM

536 posts, read 1,871,085 times

Advertisements

Who believes we are getting out of control with worrying about swine flu, vaccinations etc?

This has been the first time I have witnessed something like this that has gone to such extremes. Granted, I am only 36, and maybe someone older can chime in, but has this ever happened before?

As I walk around the office there are sanitizing lotions everywhere that people congregate (coffee room, break areas, desks etc), and now I have noticed signs showing someone how to wash their hands! All the kids are bringing their own lotion to school.

Sure, I hate germs and like things to be sanitized just like everyone else. But how extreme is this going to get? I know in Japan and other countries people wear masks when they are sick. Have not seen that here yet.

What does everyone think?

Personally I do not know anybody that has gotten swine flu, and the general level of health doesn't seem to be any worse off than prior years here in the office. Anybody know anyone that has gotten really sick, or perhaps even died from this? A coworker of mine did have to take his son back to the hospital at the doctor's request just to be sure it wasn't swine flu, but other than that I have not heard of anyone with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 10:46 AM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times
I know six people so far who have had swine flu. Yes, it was a flu. Yes, it was miserable for them. But two of them tell me that it wasn't even as bad as a typical seasonal flu. It lasted about four or five days for most of them.

Disease is never a good thing. But, yes, I think this thing is hugely overblown.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:58 AM

2,637 posts, read 4,461,781 times
Lucky here, I know no one with it.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:58 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,225,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sike0000 View Post
Who believes we are getting out of control with worrying about swine flu, vaccinations etc?

This has been the first time I have witnessed something like this that has gone to such extremes. Granted, I am only 36, and maybe someone older can chime in, but has this ever happened before?

As I walk around the office there are sanitizing lotions everywhere that people congregate (coffee room, break areas, desks etc), and now I have noticed signs showing someone how to wash their hands! All the kids are bringing their own lotion to school.

Sure, I hate germs and like things to be sanitized just like everyone else. But how extreme is this going to get? I know in Japan and other countries people wear masks when they are sick. Have not seen that here yet.

What does everyone think?

Personally I do not know anybody that has gotten swine flu, and the general level of health doesn't seem to be any worse off than prior years here in the office. Anybody know anyone that has gotten really sick, or perhaps even died from this? A coworker of mine did have to take his son back to the hospital at the doctor's request just to be sure it wasn't swine flu, but other than that I have not heard of anyone with it.

There were two other pandemics (besides the Spanish Influenza) one in 1957 and one in 1967. I wasn't around for those two either. There were multiple problems with the Spanish Influenza. They could not bury the dead fast enough. There was a Mexican man in San Fransisco that started utilizing those masks in the US. They had no where near the technology that we do now.

I think that we have far more people that we come into contact with and we have so many professions that you can't just shut down. We travel differently. Hell, you can't just shut down a hospital or a prison or a jail or police departments or CTA.

While many people experience regular or mild symptoms there are many who do not. I think it has less to do with how one person feels and more to do with how many are feeling it.

Old 11-25-2009, 02:25 PM

392 posts, read 1,095,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
There were two other pandemics (besides the Spanish Influenza) one in 1957 and one in 1967. I wasn't around for those two either. There were multiple problems with the Spanish Influenza. They could not bury the dead fast enough. There was a Mexican man in San Fransisco that started utilizing those masks in the US. They had no where near the technology that we do now.

I think that we have far more people that we come into contact with and we have so many professions that you can't just shut down. We travel differently. Hell, you can't just shut down a hospital or a prison or a jail or police departments or CTA.

While many people experience regular or mild symptoms there are many who do not. I think it has less to do with how one person feels and more to do with how many are feeling it.
All fine and dandy and agreed, except for one thing! It's mutating and completely mimicing the 1918 pandemic in hots spots around the world. It's not just a flu in these places. We have black burned lungs and hemmorrhagic death occuring now. All bets are off as far as I'm concerned. I suspect after the holiday weekend, the media will begin picking up on the story here. It's all over Europe, but for some reason, they are silent about it here.

Old 11-25-2009, 02:46 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
My doctor told me:
1) If I was born before 1956 I was probably immunized then

2) Most people around Philadelphia, New Jersey, New York were immunized in the 1970s when there was an outbreak of swine flu at Fort Dix.

Old 11-25-2009, 02:47 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone_Sculpture_Artist View Post
All fine and dandy and agreed, except for one thing! It's mutating and completely mimicing the 1918 pandemic in hots spots around the world. It's not just a flu in these places. We have black burned lungs and hemmorrhagic death occuring now. All bets are off as far as I'm concerned. I suspect after the holiday weekend, the media will begin picking up on the story here. It's all over Europe, but for some reason, they are silent about it here.
So what are you going to do?
Lock yourself in a bunker

Old 11-25-2009, 03:02 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,225,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone_Sculpture_Artist View Post
You know why they are silent. Don't let panic stand in the way of shopping.

I am not surprised that its mutating, at least that has been in the news for some time. Further, it ain't over by a long shot. This is going to last years.

I know that we have had a lot of people come down with it out here but think our newspapers would run that? Oh, hell no!!

Old 11-25-2009, 10:35 PM

511 posts, read 2,199,368 times
It's a worry to me. Especially beacuse of how quickly it can kill perfectly healthy people. I just read about about a sixth grader in South Dakota who fell ill with it and was dead within three days of showing signs of it, and he was being cared for by a doctor/hospital. He had no other health problems. And there have been other cases just like this. This thing hits some people HARD. It's starting to become drug resistant. I think washing hands, covering up when coughing, and staying home when sick are important steps to take. I'm not going to keep myself holed up, but of course I'm going to take precautions. Why wouldn't you take precautions?

Old 11-25-2009, 11:39 PM

88 posts, read 169,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanPDC View Post
It's a worry to me. Especially beacuse of how quickly it can kill perfectly healthy people. I just read about about a sixth grader in South Dakota who fell ill with it and was dead within three days of showing signs of it, and he was being cared for by a doctor/hospital. He had no other health problems. And there have been other cases just like this. This thing hits some people HARD. It's starting to become drug resistant. I think washing hands, covering up when coughing, and staying home when sick are important steps to take. I'm not going to keep myself holed up, but of course I'm going to take precautions. Why wouldn't you take precautions?
I agree with you. We should take precautions. Good hand washing is important as is keeping your immune system finely tuned. This means taking a multi-vitamin daily, drinking orange juice regularly and getting plenty of sleep. In addition to these things and I have also received both the seasonal flu and H1N1 vaccine. Best wishes for a healthy holiday season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates