Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 08:36 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times

Advertisements

[quote=El Dakar;11825728]
Quote:

It is statements like these that lead me to believe that jtur88 lives in some kind of bubble. "Economic problems do not take priority here"... Are you serious!!!

Have you ever been to Brazil? .
Yes to both questions.

Yes, I live in a bubble called the USA, where everybody is fabulously wealthy and everybody lives in a house that the average South American would call palatial, and everybody has plenty to eat. And everybody has access to government assistance if they can't afford an automobile, a modern bathroom of their own, and all they can eat at the buffet line. The few people who do not have all that are the tiny number who have untreated behavioral problems.

Yes, I've been to Brazil three times, for a total of maybe three months, and I've been in 17 of the 26 states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 10:46 AM

2,637 posts, read 4,460,692 times
[quote=jtur88;11826758]
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dakar View Post

Yes to both questions.

Yes, I live in a bubble called the USA, where everybody is fabulously wealthy and everybody lives in a house that the average South American would call palatial, and everybody has plenty to eat. And everybody has access to government assistance if they can't afford an automobile, a modern bathroom of their own, and all they can eat at the buffet line. The few people who do not have all that are the tiny number who have untreated behavioral problems.

Yes, I've been to Brazil three times, for a total of maybe three months, and I've been in 17 of the 26 states.
You can't run forever--they will catch you eventually. turn your self in.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:08 AM

3,284 posts, read 3,523,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAZILIAN View Post
Why american people are so concerned with issues about racism, homosexuality, politically correctness, prejudices, discrimination, collor of the people, people's nationality, etc... etc...??
Would not be better just to live and forget these things? Our life is so short.
Is this an anglo saxon characteristic?
I am latin and in my view all of this is nonsense.
asking users on city-data why Americans are so infatuated with those topics is pointless. Go buy some text books on American History and study them top to bottom. Then you will find the root of so many social differences in the US.

Once you finish with that, move on to another country. You pick. Racism exists in every corner the world.

Last, should we just keep the homosexual issues hush-hush and kill them like they do in Iran?

Old 11-30-2009, 11:15 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,135,000 times
It is generally accepted that in Brazil, SOCIALLY racism is far less of a seperator than it is in the US. But PROFESSIONALLY it is the opposite, the higher up you go, the lighter skinned it gets.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
It is generally accepted that in Brazil, SOCIALLY racism is far less of a seperator than it is in the US. But PROFESSIONALLY it is the opposite, the higher up you go, the lighter skinned it gets.
That's even true in Africa, especially among women in public visibility professions. Models, TV presenters, air hostesses, PR people, there is always a preference for an African girl who apparently has some white ancestry.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:05 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Actually, what he did was pounded your stupid comment deeply into the ground. You're just not sharp enough to understand it.

The bottom line is that people are people. One set of problems has a way of being replaced by another set of problems. But there are always problems.
WOW.....One of the best post I've seen in a long time...LOL

Old 12-01-2009, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
WOW.....One of the best post I've seen in a long time...LOL
The funny part of it was, he just repeated my "stupid comment" in a different way.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:13 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The funny part of it was, he just repeated my "stupid comment" in a different way.
His post was still good and funny...

Old 12-01-2009, 02:58 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
Brazilian: I think Americans are very aware of the conflict between our image as the world's melting pot and the fact that we are really made up of all kinds of mismatched groups fighting for individual attention and equal rights. The half that do want to let the subject drop keep getting prodded into the discussion again by the half that disagrees with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates