Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 03:44 PM

50 posts, read 65,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post

This is incorrect, govt isnt fair, and thats changeable. Govt. simply doesnt sanction a man's right to choose whether he accepts responsibility for a child or not. While it does make provisions for mothers to have abortions, if men were allowed to exercise their equal right to abandon their responsibility then the govts. goal of enforcing equality would be consistent with its mission statement.
ok....I've taken offense to some of the things you have posted which has made me snarky....I apologize.

Bottom line, imho, there are advantages and disadvantages to both sexes. As a male, you don't have to go through childbirth, having a period, etc. On the downside, you don't get a choice as to how many children you have after conception. The way government has it set up at this point, is that you will be financially responsible for said children. I personally take no issue with the government taking that stance. Obviously, you don't agree with that....but that is why they make vanilla and chocolate ice cream.

Last edited by Lemon_Tracy; 12-10-2009 at 03:45 PM.. Reason: wordy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 03:59 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,949,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon_Tracy View Post
ok....I've taken offense to some of the things you have posted which has made me snarky....I apologize.

Bottom line, imho, there are advantages and disadvantages to both sexes. As a male, you don't have to go through childbirth, having a period, etc. On the downside, you don't get a choice as to how many children you have after conception. The way government has it set up at this point, is that you will be financially responsible for said children. I personally take no issue with the government taking that stance. Obviously, you don't agree with that....but that is why they make vanilla and chocolate ice cream.

Definitely...I can agree to disagree...I do apologize if I offended you in any of my comments. That was not my intent. But Im well aware that even if what I propose were to be implemented, there would still be people who are unhappy. So our laws will never please everybody I suppose.

Old 12-10-2009, 04:11 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,443,240 times
God makes people equal or not--Gubment has nothing to do with it. Gubments come and go through out time. but People are still here.

Old 12-10-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
God makes people equal or not--Gubment has nothing to do with it. Gubments come and go through out time. but People are still here.
govt legislates equal rights. Until everyone has equal rights, and equal freedoms, everyone is not equally valued in our society.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:56 AM

Quote:
govt legislates equal rights. Until everyone has equal rights, and equal freedoms, everyone is not equally valued in our society.
Is there someone today that has more rights than someone else?? If so, I'm not aware of it.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:05 AM

433 posts, read 458,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
Is there someone today that has more rights than someone else?? If so, I'm not aware of it.
Answered in the other direction of fewer rights; Of course: children and members of the military immediately come to mind. Tuition assistance, no public support payments to the well to do vs no taxes paid by the poor- equality?
Strictly in the eye of the beholder.

Dano

Old 12-11-2009, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoTex View Post
Answered in the other direction of fewer rights; Of course: children and members of the military immediately come to mind. Tuition assistance, no public support payments to the well to do vs no taxes paid by the poor- equality?
Strictly in the eye of the beholder.

Dano
I see your points.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:27 AM

8,274 posts, read 12,805,922 times
not a bad idea but unfortunately there are some women that need similar treatment. I know a 23 yo woman. she has 5 kids from different fathers, on wlefare, not child support, had 3 kids removed from her care after she dropped her cigarette on her babies body and it burned a hole in her neck ( she was on crack) She is off drugs now but has had 2 more babies since the first 3 were taken. I didnt include the abortions (3) and miscarrages (1 i know of). SO the world is left with 5 kids that have little future, little hope. and some pretty horrible upbringing ahead. ( I know the woman with 2 of the kids)

I'm all for forced sterilization when the kids are not cared for. 1 mistake and you are done, no second chances. Much of these are genes that simply don't need reproducing.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:33 AM

42,618 posts, read 86,571,713 times
Quote:
That would only work in an autocracy. The mere fact that I have rights and freedom means I have the right to value different individuals unequally, and reward them accordingly. You're saying that I have rights because I do not have rights.

Old 12-11-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
That would only work in an autocracy. The mere fact that I have rights and freedom means I have the right to value different individuals unequally, and reward them accordingly. You're saying that I have rights because I do not have rights.
No I am saying that you do have rights to view people how ever you'd like. Im saying that the GOVT. does not value people equally. How you or I feel about others is somewhat irrelevant. However tax dollars should not be used to sponsor inequality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates