U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 03:12 AM

744 posts, read 1,043,374 times

Advertisements

With the latest news about Tiger Woods, I was wondering if we as fans or not are owed a full explanation of what lead up to his crash. It has been talked about on all the news outlets and of course ESPN until they are now reporting on previous news reports since he has not come out with any details. I am split on this, on one hand I think he has gotten to a level of fame that he owes his fans to be honest and tell the truth, but then again if someone demanded that of me I would not be willing to let everyone know my personal business. This thread is not about what happened to him, but what should a celebrity do when something big like this hits the news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 04:02 AM

1,493 posts, read 2,757,490 times
Yes they do.
Good part about it is nobody really cares. This way , they kinda get some of it back.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:49 AM

737 posts, read 1,437,789 times
No more so then anyone else. It's hard to keep you private life a secret being famous does make it harder yes. Next time you go to t he store look at all the magazines and you will see all this dishing into people lives. You can even pickup a news paper and see it. News papers don't include famous people all the time only when something like what happened to Tiger happens. But everyday you have people who died or whom are getting married. And the everyday type of stories.

We are a society of gossips lets face it. I personally am not a gossip but after hearing it for over 50 years I have to admit I do tell it every now and then after having it told about me for over 50 years. I always went by the thing of don't say a word and let lit it go. Didn't work for me the stories just got bigger and bigger and bigger now that I tell it like it is sometimes it just gets worse so I guess it does make a difference sometimes and sometimes it don't.

I personally have been know to hang up on people on the phone whom gossip believe it or not. I guess if you can't beat them join them type of thing but I ain't really joined them my is more minor vs telling flat out lies which happens alot with gossip trust me.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:31 AM

Trying to protect your privacy can be a gamble sometimes I wish him all the best. I know of those whom keep their mouths shut and rumors abound. I know of those who speak out and the rumors still abound.

I don't know what happened and don't care unless a child was involved, someone was murdered or injustices or something to that effect. Other then that it's between him and the police and his sponsors.

Other then that I wish him all the best.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:55 AM

23,464 posts, read 30,808,122 times
A lot of people achieve elite status in sports or entertainment and are not constantly in the gossip magazines or hounded by the paps. A lot of the people chased by the paparazzi courted the attention at some point, or are continuing to court the attention, because they believe that bad publicity is good publicity.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:58 AM

4,628 posts, read 8,978,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlady01 View Post
I don't know what happened and don't care unless a child was involved, someone was murdered or injustices or something to that effect. Other then that it's between him and the police and his sponsors.

A person had a domestic argument, if that is what happened, and crashed their car. So what? Happens every single day. Like Starlady01 said, if it doesn't involve a child, murder or injustice, then let it go. It's nobody else's business to "require" an explanation.

Neither Tiger nor any celebrity owes the public a thing. I like Charles Barkley's take on this whole issue of fan/gossip media over-involvement. An athlete or any other celebrity "owes" a great performance and great effort. There it ends.

I'm with the OP. I wouldn't want everyone to know my personal business either.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:56 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,261,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post

A person had a domestic argument, if that is what happened, and crashed their car. So what? Happens every single day. Like Starlady01 said, if it doesn't involve a child, murder or injustice, then let it go. It's nobody else's business to "require" an explanation.

Neither Tiger nor any celebrity owes the public a thing. I like Charles Barkley's take on this whole issue of fan/gossip media over-involvement. An athlete or any other celebrity "owes" a great performance and great effort. There it ends.

I'm with the OP. I wouldn't want everyone to know my personal business either.
If it was a domestic violence argument then it would be a matter of public importance. If he were angry and that tree happened to be a person it takes on a whole new role. I'm pretty sure in most states if there is a domestic dispute and the police are called someone has to go to jail. It is then usually listed in the paper.
I do believe they have a child and if the child was at home witnessing this dispute, then a child was involved.

If a couple argues I fell it is no big deal and no bodies business. When you take it out on the street it becomes a spectator sport.

If the public is so moronic to hold these "celebrities" in such high regard and they are given these enormous salaries because the public wants to see them then I believe that they give up their rights to lead normal lives. If they didn't want to be in the public eye they should have chosen a different career.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Trying to protect your privacy can be a gamble sometimes I wish him all the best. I know of those whom keep their mouths shut and rumors abound. I know of those who speak out and the rumors still abound.

Other then that I wish him all the best.
I really should add his wife since most celebrity spouses are not in the spot light we tend to over look them.

It's between him his wife, Police and his sponsors.

I would hope it wasn't in a fit of rage I'm was more thinking on the lines of Black Friday rush. Who knows with it being the day after Thanksgiving.

Like he needs to rush to a Black Friday sale with him being the highest paid sports player of all time.

Who knows maybe he was half asleep maybe the road was wet I don't know.

Like I said it's between him his wife, police and his sponsors.

To my knowledge he wasn't arrested. If he was in the wrong as he stated the police know this, he will pay the price like any of us why should his crime cost more then anyone of us.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:15 AM

42,670 posts, read 70,989,120 times
In most states, probably all of them, a motor vehicle accident must be reported to the police if the damage to the car exceeds some specified amount, like $500. Even if it is a one-car accident, such as skidding into a snowbank on an icy road. A driver can (and will) be fined for failure to report such an accident within some reasonable time period, usually 48 hours. The report of the accident becomes a matter of public record. It has nothing to do with the celebrity of the driver.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:30 AM

Quote:
I really should add his wife since most celebrity spouses are not in the spot light we tend to over look them.

It's between him his wife, Police and his sponsors.

I would hope it wasn't in a fit of rage I'm was more thinking on the lines of Black Friday rush. Who knows with it being the day after Thanksgiving.

Like he needs to rush to a Black Friday sale with him being the highest paid sports player of all time.

Who knows maybe he was half asleep maybe the road was wet I don't know.

Like I said it's between him his wife, police and his sponsors.

To my knowledge he wasn't arrested. If he was in the wrong as he stated the police know this, he will pay the price like any of us why should his crime cost more then anyone of us.
He stated on his twitter he was in the wrong what happened I don't know I'm sure he told the police. He has shouldn't have to pay a high price then any of us.

Who knows maybe his child was out of diapers or milk I don't know and don't really care unless a crime was committed and the wreck was reported the rest is up to the police.

I'm glad it was so early in the morning and no one else was involved and hope he gets better soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates