U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 01:22 PM

883 posts, read 449,375 times

Advertisements

I know someone who took classes to become a Pastor before he became a Pastor he rented a home after he became a Pastor another Pastor helped him get his own church and now 1 years later he has a multi million dollar home. I wonder how much money he made to be able to afford such an expensive lifestyle.

To be able to attend his church he asks that a person must donate 10% of their salaries to his church.

He brags about how many things he has aquired after he became a Pastor and brags about being exempt from paying taxes in his church.

I feel any and all churches should pay taxes

What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 01:29 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times
There are freeloaders everywhere. If the church had to pay tax, he'd have to require a 15% tithe to offset it. What would that accomplish?

Do you think you can tax freeloaders out of business?

Old 12-07-2009, 01:31 PM

2,637 posts, read 3,879,052 times
If I have to pay taxes, everybody should---yeppers.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:32 PM

10,868 posts, read 41,128,193 times
Lots of churches demand a tithe. It is up to the membership to ascertain if it's worth it to them for whatever value received. If they believe and fund what you consider to be an excessive salary for their leadership, that's still their business ... and make no mistake, it is a business.

OTOH, I see church owned properties and ventures which go far beyond the concept of religious observance. Perhaps those business efforts should be taxed as a business without the current exemptions.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:37 PM

3,566 posts, read 4,489,505 times
They get audited.

I have more respect for a guy that says, I need you to donate because I need some new rims then someone like................Blow Job Bob aka Oral Roberts.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:52 PM

12,842 posts, read 24,468,229 times
Amen, they should.
I write from Boston where the Catholic church has enormous wealth (or did, until the sex abuse scandals really got rolling). Between that and the massive universities (Harvard's endowment is more than most small countries) there are a lot of tax-free major institutions.
So this atheist says "Amen."

Old 12-07-2009, 03:12 PM

10,287 posts, read 9,970,295 times
Hmmm. I think EVERYBODY living in the country should pay taxes. Just a whole lot less than we pay.

Old 12-07-2009, 03:16 PM

2,637 posts, read 3,879,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Hmmm. I think EVERYBODY living in the country should pay taxes. Just a whole lot less than we pay.
If everybody paid, the rest of us wouldn't have to pays so much.

Old 12-07-2009, 03:54 PM

24,889 posts, read 20,304,497 times
They should have to budget their money. If they can show that their income went to a charity, then that income should be tax exempt, like the rest of us can do.

However, all other money they have, money for expansions, property taxes, and income tax for preachers should be standard.

Old 12-07-2009, 03:57 PM

2,008 posts, read 2,908,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DulceJ View Post
I know someone who took classes to become a Pastor before he became a Pastor he rented a home after he became a Pastor another Pastor helped him get his own church and now 1 years later he has a multi million dollar home. I wonder how much money he made to be able to afford such an expensive lifestyle.

To be able to attend his church he asks that a person must donate 10% of their salaries to his church.

He brags about how many things he has aquired after he became a Pastor and brags about being exempt from paying taxes in his church.

I feel any and all churches should pay taxes

What do you all think?
It seems to me that there more than one kind of church. There are those modest churches that truly practice what the preach. Then there are those that are set up almost like an industry where their prime objective is making money.

I have no problem with the modest church being exempt from taxes as they are at least performing something that resembles a community service. To me I have no problem with churches being exempt from taxation because they are non profit. But then a church rakes in millions of dollars per year, and their pastor lives in a million dollar place, it doesn't really look like a non-profit organization anymore.

I would be in favor of a scale similar to what we have. A church that "earns" less than $X would be exempt. After that they should start paying as it is obviously no longer a non-profit organization.

For the record, I believe in this application for all non-profits, not just churches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates