Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 11:42 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,972,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Religion? So that's why monks were some of the first brewmasters and winemakers?

No thats not why they were some of the first brewmasters and winemakers. They were some of the first brewmasters and winemakers because they observed a different religion than the people who first settled this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 11:50 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Society's discouragement of certain behavior has more to do with religious establishment than the live and let live attitude that I would have. Even the discouragement of alcohol was initiated as religious superstition. Without religion I doubt that we would think twice about drinking. Only recently have we discovered its ill effects on health, when consumed excessively. However again, everything we put in our body has an adverse effect if consumed excessively.

BTW, the chocolate that my mom brought me back from Mexico wasnt very bitter at all. I thought it was rather good actually.
Regarding your first point. religion in general was not consistent on this. Many religions actually encouraged the use of substances to reach a different level of perception. The whole parable about turning water into wine seems to me to reflect at least a Christian tolerance for wine, suggesting that wine is better than water..

The earlier reference to Mexico was to the popularity of mole' sauce, in which chocolate is a main ingredient, and it is an unsweetened main course.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:29 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Actually, the Mexico reference is to the shops right here in Florida run by people that come here from Mexico and serve the Mexican community. I bought some chocolate there and it was very bitter.

But they served some pretty good tortas and enchiladas.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Regarding your first point. religion in general was not consistent on this. Many religions actually encouraged the use of substances to reach a different level of perception. The whole parable about turning water into wine seems to me to reflect at least a Christian tolerance for wine, suggesting that wine is better than water..

The earlier reference to Mexico was to the popularity of mole' sauce, in which chocolate is a main ingredient, and it is an unsweetened main course.

But many religion's werent the ones who established our nations. Christianity is the religion that established this nation, and thus those are the values this nation considers its most core values.

Although the broader Christian religion perhaps mentioned turning water to wine, which could be interpreted in several different ways, the Puritan Christian religion was actually the religion that settlers brought with them to their new establishment. In that particular denomination, drunkeness is heavily discouraged, not alcohol.

But if we were to parallel the use of chocolate in unsweetened recipe's, likewise there are recipes which contain alcohol, that do not intoxicate nor damage the consumer. So essentially, alcohol wouldnt be discouraged due to the fact that it is sometimes used in a way that is not harmful nor intoxicating?

Old 12-14-2009, 02:19 PM

Why would people cook with such a flammable substance?

Old 12-14-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Why would people cook with such a flammable substance?
Dont know, but for one flambeing puts on a great show. And two, I assume that it adds some background flavor to the dish...Like rum cake and stuff.

flambé - Wiktionary

Old 12-14-2009, 06:56 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,351,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
everywhere you look or listen, there is tobacco products are discouraged but not outlawed! You can still buy a pack of cigarrettes anywhere and smoking will not get you sent to the slammer. However, public awareness on the dangers of tobacco have made it viewed as a bad habit (except for teenagers). By the time you graduate college, people will simply look down on you for smoking.

However, i also understand the health risks (though not so much if used in moderation) in excessive usage along with the magnitute of social problems that alcohol causes!!! Should we discourage but not outlaw alcohol consumption. People probably will argue that moderate drinking should be incouraged...but that is not working. Should we discourage alcohol consumption, at least a little more? Please debate.
no more proabition...no more telling people what they should and should not put in their bodies. It is their body, leave everyone be already.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Dont know, but for one flambeing puts on a great show. And two, I assume that it adds some background flavor to the dish...Like rum cake and stuff.

flambé - Wiktionary
I was somewhat kidding.

I don't cook with it, but I do know why it's used. Alcohol is a solvent, and it carries flavors well.

And those cooks who say it cooks off? Not really the case. Most of the alcohol put in still remains (Thanks "Food Detectives").

Old 12-15-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
I was somewhat kidding.

I don't cook with it, but I do know why it's used. Alcohol is a solvent, and it carries flavors well.

And those cooks who say it cooks off? Not really the case. Most of the alcohol put in still remains (Thanks "Food Detectives").

I can believe that...I know one thing, I hate rum cake...it was disgusting, and I dont know why someone would waste a perfectly good cake by pouring rum in it.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:03 PM

17,987 posts, read 27,444,769 times
I know of some others who would ask why one would waste a perfectly good bottle of rum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates