Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 01:04 AM

1,332 posts, read 1,989,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranded and Lonely View Post
A friend of mine is Jewish and she is always talking about being brought up in the Jewish Culture. Because people on this board are generally against any type of racial or religious stereotype maybe by using the word culture we can start an interesting debate. (I have lots of respect for Jewish people but am not one myself)

I asked my Jewish friend exactly what she meant by growing up in a Jewish culture, here is what she said:

Expectation of being more aggressive and assertive with others

Expectation of academic and career excellence

Stronger interest in the arts, music, cultural events than the general population

A belief that Jewish people are God's chosen race and as a result a little bit of arrogance and extreme confidence

Certain social and interpersonal behaviors that are very assertive
---------------
What do you think, is there a Jewish culture and are Jewish kids brought up with certain expectations and behaviors.
This post seems to show an aggressive side of the Jewish people. There is something missing, and I am suprised that it was not focused on to a greater extent.

And, I am sure that many that have worked for Jewish people, or have Jewish friends, will agree.

When you become part of their life - they treat you like family.

Throughout my life I've worked for some companies owned by Jewish people (mostly family owned - the larger companies run by extended families). And, if you are a concientous and honest worker - they treat you very well. They are probably one of the fairest groups of people to work for.

It is fair to say that they treat their employees like family. Not only in (employment) fairness, but also in time of need. When a crisis occurs in the life of one of their employees, they address it as if they were caring for one of their own family members.

It is the same with those that I have had as friends. When a crisis occurs - they are there, and they do something.

This has to be in the Jewish culture itself. Fairness and caring for others, no matter what their background.

I guess that a good example of this is the many Jewish names that you see on hospital special needs centers - Such as those dedicated for cancer or other diseases. Many Jewish people will leave much of their money for these centers that benefit everyone - no matter what their background.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 07:13 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
What's the matter with you people: you've never heard the prayer, "Next year in Boca"
LOL!
I spent many a spring break Passover in Boca. With relatives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
It is extremely tough to maintain a certain culture when the 'dominant' one (WASP) accepts it---------think of dumping a glass of water into a lake, they mix immediately.
Indeed. Our former synagogue in Denver has a reach-out program for interfaith couples, but it is a tough gig.
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
This has to be in the Jewish culture itself. Fairness and caring for others, no matter what their background.
Yes.
There are different branches to the Jewish religion, and I do not consider myself well-schooled in them.
However, in my experience, it is true that many/most observant, active Reform Jews work for social justice.
Yes, their familial embrace, secular or not, can be warm.
One thing that comes to my mind is Tikkun Olam.
For some Jews, the phrase tikkun olam means that Jews are not only responsible for creating a model society among themselves but also are responsible for the welfare of the society at large.

Old 12-20-2009, 03:20 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,008,753 times
Yup. Move to NY. Better yet, enroll in Brooklyn College.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:28 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
In a nutshell, I would describe Judaism as 'Tribal' which indicates that it is a cultural phenomenon with a strong but not always exclusive genetic component.

Due to various circumstances, Jews have, in different historic periods, been more or less open to conversion hence the phenotypic diversity of Jewish populations which is why there are Jews with strong central and western European characteristics, but even these populations are often identifiably genetically related to Semitic, middle-eastern peoples.

I would even go as far as to suggest that early christianity, a splinter sect of Judaism, only expanded its scope into universalism in order to gain enough followers to survive indicating that, at that time, Jews were not interested in converts. It was the conversion of gentiles (at least in large amounts) that sealed the schism between mainstream Jewish groups and the followers of Jesus.

ABQConvict

Last edited by ABQConvict; 12-27-2009 at 06:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates