Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 12:34 AM

1,372 posts, read 1,548,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
In 25 years of living the the District of Columbia I've experienced two crimes, both burglaries. Only absolute ******* are so scared that the give up the benefits of city life for "lower crime." You a ***** Rocks?

I lived in D.C. for a year and a half. I was mugged twice and had my car stolen. Not to mention the fact that I couldn't walk ten feet without some crack-head begging for my hard earned money. Nope, 18 months was enough for me. You know something? I don't miss it one bit!

I imagine that these are some of the same reasons that conservatives on average prefer suburban or rural life.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:48 AM

898 posts, read 1,401,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
This conservative loves urban living because the job opportunities are more plentiful and public transit is usually more comprehensive in cities versus rural areas. I don't have a license and in the city, I have the mobility I need to get from point A to B plus I have things that are walking distance from my home. Also, the food choices are usually better in the city with lots of international fare. I could never see myself happy in a rural area as I'd feel too limited and stifled.
Rural living definitely requires your own car, but as for food choices... well... fresh garden grown vegetables that did not have to be shipped from outside of town. Heck, oftentimes rural property owners have enough land to grow their own.

Now if I want international food, like Indian, Vietnamese, Thai, Chinese... the city is the way, but to say we rural folk don't have a variety of different foods is a bit of a mistake. Moose, deer, bear, pretty much anything you can shoot during hunting season. Wild turkey, which tastes better than the farm raised turkeys you buy in the store.

Not to mention all the wild berries you can find when you're out for a stroll. Wild blueberries, raspberries, blackberries.

All this talk of food... I'm hungry now.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:08 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,349,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I'd hazard a guess to say that most of you country folks who have been slamming cities as being havens for liberal whackos, crime, and poverty have not actually had MUCH experience with city living.
You would so at your own hazard. I worked inside the Beltway for almost ten years. In the early 1990s, I ducked gunshots behind the Library of Congress.

D.C. is an interesting place but to paint it as anything more than any other large American city with the crimes that go hand in hand with urban America is not believable.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:00 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,626,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
But a mugger in the city has to deal with more potential eyewitnesses and a quicker response from police.
Not always, haven't you seen those expose' pieces that Dateline and other shows do on crime in big cities; and how the majority kept walking and did NOTHING to help the victim, not even make a call on their cell phone.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:02 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
There are a fair number of' liberals' who live in rural areas and conservatives who live in urban areas, from where I'm sitting, political views don't dictate much as to where someone chooses to live. I guess I consider myself to be a 'conservative', and I live in a rural area, but thats just what life handed me. I have lived in the city as well, and do prefer rural life, but crime stats aren't the biggest factor in that. I suppose that I would rather deal with a prowling mountain lion than a mugger, but in all honesty, I remember city living being a bit less stressful, in some ways. It is harder to get from point A to point B out here, we have to stock up on necessary things, bad weather is harder to cope with, there certainly is not as much decent paying work as there is in a city etc. At any rate, I don't see a correlation twixt political views and rural/urban living. It may be that most rural dwellers tend to lean a bit more to the right, , but that really depends on the rural area being discussed, same goes for any given city.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:34 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Answer: Because people in the city are more likely to observe and be disgusted by the inhumanity and immorality of a me-first screw-you conservative ethic, or to be victims of it.
This is a joke. Many of the people with the biggest selfish and "*********" attitudes live in cities.

Liberals are just selfish in a different way than conservatives.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:04 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Think about cause and effect. Your question should be:

"Why does urban life foster liberalism, and rural life foster conservatism?"

Answer: Because people in the city are more likely to observe and be disgusted by the inhumanity and immorality of a me-first screw-you conservative ethic, or to be victims of it.
What a pile of steaming fertilizer!

Perhaps it is that those areas (rural) that actually used to be credited with voting with the Democrat party, have recently become disgusted with the evergrowing entitlement mentality of their politicians. In my state, for the first time in modern history, the rural population backed the more Conservative party.

Rural Americans see poverty, many live below the poverty line, but they are more likely to know and help their neighbors voluntarily than are urbanites. "Screw-you" has nothing to do with it. Rural life fosters self-sufficiency and personal responsibility not conservativism. However, conservativism has more recently become attractive to those who are willing to be self-sufficient as their lifestyle of personal responsibility and independence of the government is belittled and they are even marked as potential "terrorists" by new DH Secretary Napolitano.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:42 PM

155 posts, read 283,032 times
hay i'm a liberal in georgia and i prefer the country!! although i'm not a democrat
contrary to SOME people's beliefs.....there are plenty liberals down here in georgia and etc
and some of the most racists people live in the cities
i live in atl but beleive me the small town historic population life is where my country heart is!!!!!!!!

Old 12-29-2009, 05:02 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,413,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
LOL
90% of Museums
Because the places themselves offer nothing enlightening so you need to buy entertainment.

Quote:
90% of Theaters
See above

Quote:
90% of Universities
Great places except they produce alot of the most intollerant people around.... such as yourself.

Quote:
90% of Banks
Those things that caused our current financial issues?

Quote:
90% of Corporations
Those things that contributed to the current crisis?

Quote:
90% of > minimum wage jobs.
Meaningless, nobody can survive in a city on minimum wage, thats why 90% of welfare recipients are city dwellers too, but you left that one out.

Quote:
Rural
99% of mountain lions. Let me tell you for the few lions that survive, you are just a meal. You aren't part of that group.
Meaningless again. Listen to yourself. To you, anyone not like you is not part of the group & is in a way just a meal.

Why not mention that 90% of gang activity is confined to cities? Or that 90% of organized crime itself is confined to cities? Why not mention that cities exist mostly cost the country much more than they actually produce & are a burden on us all. Our deficits are caused by city people and their philosophies. Cut a small country town off from the outside & they will suffer but more than likely most will make it. Do the same with DC & see what happens.

[MOD CUT/off topic]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 01-01-2010 at 04:54 PM..

Old 12-31-2009, 09:11 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,003,490 times
All nations which have progressed and achieved a high standard of living have urbanized. All of western Europe, U.S., Asia etc are highly urbanized. Areas of the world which are majority rural are poor and undeveloped. The poorest nations on earth are 70 - 80% rural. Societies need to urbanized to advance to a high standard of living. This is what is happening in China today. The Chinese government is in the process of moving 300 million people into cities, from the country, in the next 10 years. They realize this needs to be done to rise their nations citizens above third world status. The U.S. did this in the late 19 and early 20th century and look at the results. Our cities helped raise us to the highest standard of living ever known. This would have never happened if we remained a rural nation of farmers. All of us love the beautiful country side, but rural folks should not take for granted the great advancements and achievements which were accomplished due to our cities.

Last edited by Allan Trafton; 12-31-2009 at 09:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates