Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 08:54 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,269,481 times

Advertisements

The other thing to consider here is that I think most people on this forum consider these discussions to be conversational. Would you expect your friends at the bar to produce data to support a philosophical discussion? Of course not. We are not debating actual policy or anything that will affect our lives outside this forum in any way. It's just a discussion.
While there are occasional times when it is appropriate, demanding data to back up every claim is, at least in part, the refuge of the defeated. I don't recall Plato using much data at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 09:16 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,210,627 times
Whether or not Plato authored those works is debated.

Some items are seemingly philosophical on the surface, however, it is more often then naught that they have been studied by the people that post. I don't think that it is defeating to request someone to back it up. Otherwise there is nothing but a lot of......heat (?) over something that is ridiculous.

And, I have actually told my friends at the bar to prove it.. Mmmm......nothing says good times like Captain and Back-it-up.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:21 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,382,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
The other thing to consider here is that I think most people on this forum consider these discussions to be conversational. Would you expect your friends at the bar to produce data to support a philosophical discussion? Of course not. We are not debating actual policy or anything that will affect our lives outside this forum in any way. It's just a discussion.
While there are occasional times when it is appropriate, demanding data to back up every claim is, at least in part, the refuge of the defeated. I don't recall Plato using much data at all.
Yet wouldn't you agree that Plato was an empiricist? Moreover, while much CD debate is along the lines of a bar-room conversation, we DO have the luxury of looking for suuprting data before we actually post something.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
Whether or not Plato authored those works is debated.
1. Does that even matter?

2. Got data to support this?

Old 12-27-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
1. Does that even matter?

2. Got data to support this?
...naw, doesn't matter, but this is interesting:
Thirty-five dialogues and thirteen letters have traditionally been ascribed to Plato, though modern scholarship doubts the authenticity of at least some of these. Plato's writings have been published in several fashions; this has led to several conventions regarding the naming and referencing of Plato's texts.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:47 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,523,863 times
If people were to use data as they should, then they would have to use all the data for the reasearch in which they were conducting, which means they would have to be objective, which they are not, which means nearly every biased media outlet would collapse. Just my .02

Old 12-27-2009, 10:07 PM

Interesting read. I should have included this: [/sarcasm] at the end of my post.

So, should I chew you out for using Wiki as a source? LOL

Old 12-27-2009, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Interesting read. I should have included this: [/sarcasm] at the end of my post.

So, should I chew you out for using Wiki as a source? LOL
Yeah--I know about the reliability of wiki--I'm just too lazy to follow up further--AND I know that source is against my desire for empiricism--but this isn't an issue that I care about deeply enough to work harder at getting good data....hmmmmm

Old 12-27-2009, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
Yeah--I know about the reliability of wiki--I'm just too lazy to follow up further--AND I know that source is against my desire for empiricism--but this isn't an issue that I care about deeply enough to work harder at getting good data....hmmmmm
Exactly. And if I really wanted data as information rather than "gotcha" then I could easily find it myself, since my Google likely works as well as yours does.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Exactly. And if I really wanted data as information rather than "gotcha" then I could easily find it myself, since my Google likely works as well as yours does.
My Google is screwed up. I'm sure your's works better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates