Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 09:36 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,084,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston3 View Post
i'm going to get a drink, sit back and watch this one...

lol!

Old 12-29-2009, 09:43 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,084,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranded and Lonely View Post
The truth is while there are plenty of white people who commit crime and bad and dangerous white neighborhoods, black and hispanic neighborhoods are always according to statistics more dangerous than white neighborhoods with equal economic demographics.

Black and Hispanic people are just by nature more likely to commit crimes.

R U SERIOUS----in my experience--i have seen my bar fly--juvenile deliquent bearing neighbors and their mullet haircut boyfriends do more serious things--i now even have to put a lock on my mailbox---

i miss my old neighbor hood of hispanics and afro-americans--never had any issues---in this all white neighborhood--if i fell--the neighbors would steal the shoes off your feet(especially if they were expensive and new),and not help you up!

Old 12-29-2009, 12:22 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
Hmm.. maybe it's just the areas I've known. Places like areas in Philadelphia and some places in NJ (Like Camden since it's the town next to me)
Interesting that you are from NJ - I just spent a week in South NJ and NYC (for Christmas) You can not judge minority neighborhoods based on New Jersey of all places.

I was born and raised in Los Angeles in a very upscale, upper income community which was predominantly (like 98%) Black - the area is called View Park. Most of our neighbors were doctors, attorneys, judges, business owners, professionals, etc.

Lastly, I have to say that even the very worst areas of Los Angeles still look 10 times better than any part of New Jersey.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:43 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
I've always wanted to discuss and get more information on this subject, but I always felt "bad" about looking at it this way..but it seems like anything goes on City Data lol

I do ask this in just the.. nicest way possible?

When areas...cities, towns, etc..are majority of black/hispanic, it's typically a high crime/drug area. Why? How did this happen?

I'm sure we'll get some mean racist responses, lol, but I'm looking for truth to this. I understand there ARE crappy areas that are mostly white, but typically if an area is mostly black/hispanic, it's an area you do not want to be in

So, why and how?
Why is the assumption that high to moderate income predominately African American areas do not exist in most urban cities? I ask the question because the threads premise is based upon the false conception that in urban communities race not income are the determinate factors for crime. Of course to examine the low crime rates of upper to moderate African American communities won't reenforce the race causes crime argument and we certainly couldn't have that.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:26 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
I've lived and worked in what could possibly the the worst city in these United States, Detroit.

A large portion of it is due to money. White people had it, and they left for the suburbs. You can drive through old Detroit, and see some beautiful old houses, that are now in ruins, and are either burnt, boarded up, or have 10 idiots sitting on the front porch listening to "ho" music as loudly as possible.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not racist. I have lots of black friends, this was just my observations.

I believe it roots back to the fact that those with money left. Those without money stayed. When you have little hope of employment, and no way to educate yourself, you tend to start selling and doing drugs. This is part of what happened in Detroit, or so I was told by many locals who had been there their entire life.

Don't get me wrong, I did see a lot of white folks in the down and out area. Many of them worse then the black folks I saw there. However, the large majority were black.

Old 12-29-2009, 05:27 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
lol!
I'm still sitting here...

Old 12-29-2009, 05:52 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,411,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
I'll give you $1000.00 USD if you can cite any American Medical school of Medicine or Psychology that has preformed a study and had their results posted in any medical journal and whos findings is accepted by peer review...

Or I will give you a buck if you can site the bogus internet site you glammed this tid-bit of stupidity from...

Its all about preception...You may precieve that since drug dealing and prostitution is commited right on the streets of Poor American, That only poor americans deal in drugs and sex. What you dont see is that in the more affluent neighborhoods, there isnt a need to conduct business out on the street. A rich kid has his connections for his drugs and his dad knows where to score his prostitutes on the net...

Out of site-out of mind....
or you might perceive that since prison populations support the perception that minorities commit more crime then minorities commit more crime.

Show us a peer reviewed study that suggests this is untrue.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:09 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Interesting that you are from NJ - I just spent a week in South NJ and NYC (for Christmas) You can not judge minority neighborhoods based on New Jersey of all places.

I was born and raised in Los Angeles in a very upscale, upper income community which was predominantly (like 98%) Black - the area is called View Park. Most of our neighbors were doctors, attorneys, judges, business owners, professionals, etc.

Lastly, I have to say that even the very worst areas of Los Angeles still look 10 times better than any part of New Jersey.

You've got to be kidding.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:09 PM

188 posts, read 406,057 times
"I've always wanted to discuss and get more information on this subject, but I always felt "bad" about looking at it this way..but it seems like anything goes on City Data lol

I do ask this in just the.. nicest way possible?

When areas...cities, towns, etc..are majority of black/hispanic, it's typically a high crime/drug area. Why? How did this happen?

I'm sure we'll get some mean racist responses, lol, but I'm looking for truth to this. I understand there ARE crappy areas that are mostly white, but typically if an area is mostly black/hispanic, it's an area you do not want to be in

So, why and how?"

"Why is the assumption that high to moderate income predominately African American areas do not exist in most urban cities? I ask the question because the threads premise is based upon the false conception that in urban communities race not income are the determinate factors for crime. Of course to examine the low crime rates of upper to moderate African American communities won't reenforce the race causes crime argument and we certainly couldn't have that."

I must first agree with this post.

Now getting down to business. First let me start by saying that you may truly never understand this if you dont know youre U.S. History, and not what they taught you in school. To speed up the process for now I'll just try to put this in perspective for you...

1619-1877 American Slavery (involutary enslavement of Africans in America)
1877-1965 Reconstruction Period,Jim Crow, Civil Right Era
1965- NOW Dr. MLK Death, All kinds of anti discrimination laws, anti segregation, and much more

So if you your not well versed in exactly all that this means while being Black in America. Pretty much, Blacks havent really had any of the freedoms, equality, and advantages of living here until around the mid 70s/80's. It takes a long time to heal a country with so much ingrained, institutionalized racism. Blacks did not start where whites started in this country. Infact its safe to say whites had a 350 year head start in this race.

Now on top of that, once Blacks are legally given all the same freedoms, and advantages, they still have to deal with illegal discriminatory pratices in all area including housing, employment, and schooling.

Now I'll get to the part that Blacks played in this... Some of them resorted to illegal ways to make ends meet. Kids drop out of school, and sell drug and do drugs. Crack hit Black urban America in the 80s (I believe) and that completely destroyed families, and entire communites. There is no upward mobility when youre on drugs, selling drugs, not going to school.. .etc. So just as Blacks were finally getting some slack cut(from the government),it was too late.

Blacks are just now really starting to recover, its only been about 100 yrs since all forms of slavery ended (many people still kept slaves up until early 1900s)

So there, thats why some Blacks are living in ghettos, and still selling drugs, and doing drugs. There is a lot of work to do. The poor Blacks mentality is that of the slave years ago. "Live to survive". That needs to, and is changing to "Live to Succeed."

There are many Blacks that have risen above the afore mentioned, however there is still much work to be done. Many people will compare African Americans to other minorities and ask "how come the Asians, Jews, Italians.. etc can do it" People must remember that no other minority has been enslaved, demeaned, degraded, abused, segragated, and ignored the way the Blacks have been for centuries in this country. No other minority in this country has been institutionally denied the liberties and rights that were supposed to be god given for close 400 years. There is no quick fix, the systematic effects of slavery, are relavant today.

Now about those Hispanic/Latinos, these people are pretty much viewed the same way Blacks are view in society. So they experience the same harassment, discrimination, racism, when voluntarily migrating. They end up living and going to schools with poor Blacks if they too are poor. This is unfortunate when they pick up on the ways of ignorant, non goal oriented poor Blacks.

This is obviously is not always the case, but Im sure you get the picture. So there, hope that helps.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:58 PM

404 posts, read 1,094,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
Easy. Go back and read your US history beginning with about 1830. Be sure to read the political, legal and economic angles.

Then it is obvious...and even more depressing (since a historical POV rules out any quick fixes).

There are plenty of healthy communities of colour--just filter by education and income.

S.

Haven't read the entire thread, but I'd like to mention Prince George's county, MD (next to DC). It is the wealthiest county in America that has a black majority. It is also has a crime rate that rival's DC and is known as dangerous to everyone in the area. By comparison, the white majority counties surrounding DC (Montgomery MD, Arlington VA, Howard, MD) have a radically lower crime rate than DC.

Can anyone explain this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates