U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 09:31 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,113,623 times

Advertisements

I seriously don't know but when you look at the gloifying the thug; pimp lifestyle and kids see that day after day it might have an effect.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:48 PM

4,754 posts, read 7,547,905 times
Learned behavior, cultural issues, and just plain laziness.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:40 PM

530 posts, read 664,073 times
I was one of 6 white people in a hispanic neighborhood that was considered "rough" by outsiders but those "rough" hispanic men walked me to my apartment in the evening to make sure I got home safely. I think if it looks differently than where people are personally used to they may jump to conclusions. Another question is when is the last time you heard of a black/hispanic serial killer? I'd rather stick with those "rough" hispanic men myself.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:54 AM

9,807 posts, read 12,918,974 times
regarding race and crime-----

I have spent a lot of time researching areas of the south for retirement re-location.
All my research was done on southern cities smaller than 15.000 that caught my interest. I , frankly, am not concerned about a city/town's racial mix. but will not move to a town with a high crime rate.

Here is what I have found--------

The biggest indicator of a high crime rate is the % of blacks living there.
The higher the percent of blacks, the higher the crime index rate.

When using city-data Detailed Profile, I have found this to be true in the vast majority of the hundreds of cities/towns I have reserched.

Why is this ?

I have noticed this indicator to be true even when the poverty levels are the same, educational levels are the same.

It just seems any small , southern town/city that has over 25% blacks has a crime index higher than what I want.

The most telling indicator and my conclusions---

90% white
10% black-------crime rate at or near national average

70% white
30% black--------crime rate much higher than national average

over and over and over, I have observed that.
It is so prevelant that once I see the racial breakdown of small .southern towns. I already know what to expect in regards to the crime index regardless of the poverty and education demographics of that city.

Why the corelation that happens over and over in smaller towns ?

Old 01-03-2010, 08:02 AM

8,293 posts, read 22,482,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlitwishes View Post
I was one of 6 white people in a hispanic neighborhood that was considered "rough" by outsiders but those "rough" hispanic men walked me to my apartment in the evening to make sure I got home safely. I think if it looks differently than where people are personally used to they may jump to conclusions. Another question is when is the last time you heard of a black/hispanic serial killer? I'd rather stick with those "rough" hispanic men myself.
There are serial killers of all races & both genders. Coral Watts, for instance, was black. Adolfo de Jesus Constanzo and Juan Vallejo Corono were Hispanic. Even women can be serial killers, as evidenced by Jane Toppan and Aileen Wournos.

I think that's an entity that has to be treated completely and totally separate from everything else.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:45 AM

530 posts, read 664,073 times
I was just pointing out that there is violent crime in places and from people other than minotirty groups and that a neighborhood from the outside to someone not living there may see it as "scarey" IME if there aren't pretty flowers, fluffy puppies and nice cars in the driveway it is not a good place to be, and that is just not true of ALL areas not fitting that description.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:09 AM

1,483 posts, read 2,827,063 times
Default High crime?

I am a white male married to a black hispanic. Sadly, we both agree the majority of bad neighborhoods are black or hispanic.

I really believe these issue(s) date back to economic standards that have been present for centuries. Education, housing and hospital care for those races are severely lacking. At childhood, those kids are NOT provided the same level of training for adulthood. In my opinion, a minority child when compared to a white child, is easily 3 steps behind. Matter of fact, my kids attended school in a predominately black area for 6 years and later we moved to a white area. Upon enrollment in those white schools, the faculty stated my children were far behind their classmates...big time. Some years have passed and I can positively state my kids are even if not excelling but like I said it did take some time.

Considering my example, what happens to a child who does not escape a dead school system? From my vantage point, that child is lacking alot of positive interaction to succeed in life. Especially, if the child has parents who are working 3 jobs or if the parent just plain sucks. Education is the main source for success. Until those standards are equal we will continue to find "hoods."

Old 01-03-2010, 10:14 AM

55,237 posts, read 72,472,599 times
hard for me to color code it. if i do then i become part of the problem. i like to think of it in terms of clint eastwood movies-- when an entire town goes bad, every member is either a crook or supporting one, then there is nothing to redeem.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:15 AM

1,276 posts, read 2,908,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnMtnFire View Post
The solutions? 1) Get rid of welfare. Regardless of your color/race its a constant circle of family member after family member abusing it.
2) No more "race specific" groups, like the NAACP, Hispanic Chamber of Comm., etc.
3) Stop coddling criminals! If you do the crime then do the time. Don't believe the "my dad left when I was 6..." & "my mother was a drunk/ addict..". Everyone has the ability to chose the right thing to do.
I am quite Liberal in my political beliefs, I support UHC ect, however I do side with the Conservatives on a few issues and this is one of them. I agree almost totally with this post, although I don't think all welfare should be discontinued. I think there should be welfare but with strict(& inforced) requirements. I also think there should be a time limit on it too, no more lifers and generations on welfare. It should be used to help ppl in dire need get a boost. If they don't take advantage then it's on them. The current system is broken, frought with fraud. It's like it encourages ppl to have more kids too and I've known ppl who did have more kids to reap the benefits. Those who don't think this happens are in denial. If we could ever get UHC or something close, it would greatly help those in need and also keep ppl from becomming bankrupt and thus needing social programs. But my main point is that we desperately need to end the trend of generations on welfare, it helps no one in the long run.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:50 AM

8,813 posts, read 9,637,433 times
[quote=h0tmess;12202962] I understand there ARE crappy areas that are mostly white, quote]

And if you are Black or Hispanic you may not feel (be )safe in them,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates