Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 09:24 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times

Advertisements

So to the OP. After reading this thread all your observations are wrong! And mine too.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:51 PM

11,874 posts, read 11,046,013 times
I am white - I live in a neighborhood where all of my neighbors are either Panamanian or indigenous. I have never in 5 years had problems, been threatened and quite honestly have never felt safer. One night I was in a rush bringing in groceries and left my house keys in the door. I didn't realize it until the next morning when I left to go to my one office and saw them in the front door. While I felt stupid, because that is a stupid thing to do, not one person took advantage of my stupidity to enter my home.

For the first time in longer than I can remember I actually KNOW my neighbors, we all look out for each other and on Christmas my neighbor always brings me a huge plate of food. They don't care that I'm a blonde haired, blue eyed white girl and I guess in my neighborhood I'm actually the minority.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:56 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,676,262 times
^ VERY cool!

Old 12-29-2009, 04:49 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,414,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I'm a white guy living in an almost exclusively black neighborhood in a black part of Omaha. I've got great neighbors, we have no crime that I know of, and I don't even lock my garage door.

So what does that prove? Anything? Nothing?

You are right. But on the other hand if you venture into any ghetto in the USA the majority of the people are minorities & in most cases black.
Thats not saying all black folks are bad & no good ones exist. Just that the majority of slum dwellers are black. I dont know how or why & dont much care. The fact that so many do live in decent neighborhoods tells me they can live anywhere they want so I guess many just like living where they do.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:23 AM

195 posts, read 293,706 times
The truth is while there are plenty of white people who commit crime and bad and dangerous white neighborhoods, black and hispanic neighborhoods are always according to statistics more dangerous than white neighborhoods with equal economic demographics.

Black and Hispanic people are just by nature more likely to commit crimes.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:30 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,676,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranded and Lonely View Post
The truth is while there are plenty of white people who commit crime and bad and dangerous white neighborhoods, black and hispanic neighborhoods are always according to statistics more dangerous than white neighborhoods with equal economic demographics.

But isn't it fair and legitimate to ask the honest question, "WHY?"

Is it racial/cultural, or are there other factors involved? I guess I'm more interested in solutions, than I am in simply identifying the problems.

So I'm wondering... What are the solutions?

Old 12-29-2009, 07:28 AM

231 posts, read 869,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
But isn't it fair and legitimate to ask the honest question, "WHY?"

Is it racial/cultural, or are there other factors involved? I guess I'm more interested in solutions, than I am in simply identifying the problems.

So I'm wondering... What are the solutions?
The solutions? 1) Get rid of welfare. Regardless of your color/race its a constant circle of family member after family member abusing it.
2) No more "race specific" groups, like the NAACP, Hispanic Chamber of Comm., etc.
3) Stop coddling criminals! If you do the crime then do the time. Don't believe the "my dad left when I was 6..." & "my mother was a drunk/ addict..". Everyone has the ability to chose the right thing to do.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:53 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,835,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranded and Lonely View Post

I'll give you $1000.00 USD if you can cite any American Medical school of Medicine or Psychology that has preformed a study and had their results posted in any medical journal and whos findings is accepted by peer review...

Or I will give you a buck if you can site the bogus internet site you glammed this tid-bit of stupidity from...

Its all about preception...You may precieve that since drug dealing and prostitution is commited right on the streets of Poor American, That only poor americans deal in drugs and sex. What you dont see is that in the more affluent neighborhoods, there isnt a need to conduct business out on the street. A rich kid has his connections for his drugs and his dad knows where to score his prostitutes on the net...

Out of site-out of mind....

Old 12-29-2009, 08:16 AM

355 posts, read 911,757 times
One thing to mention is the reason people automatically think blacks and hispanics are the worst is because they live in larger urban areas or cities and are therefore seen more often by the mass public.

I live on the eastside of indy, 10th and post rd. Its "considered" to be that my direct area is no good, and has gradually gotten worse over the last 10 years. I've lived here my whole life, right now we have a crazy mix of black and white of mixed lower-working-middle class families. I'm 23 and white and honestly have not been the most upstanding citizens my whole life. Im one of the smartest people I know but I know for a fact many black people that will not associate with me because they are scared of my area and the people I hang out with or did hang out with (My life is in transition), and who I "hang" with is a mix of white and black people. I do not feel un-safe anywhere on the eastside, because any harm that ever came to me (robbed twice, kidnapped once, numerous other things) were all from my doing. However put me on the westside or any unfamiliar area and I'm not comfortable. Thats just some backround. The worst areas of my side of town- (washington and state, new york and rurual, 10th and rurual, brookside, 10th 16th, 21st, 25th, 30th, 38th from german church to all the way to meridian. All of these areas are pretty much mixed evenly. The only areas that are not so mixed are brightwood and about 10 apartment complexes on 38 and 42nd.

Now as to why people do not notice anything but black and hispanic poverty is because most poor white people live in towns such as munice indiana. This city is one of the most poverty sticken places I've ever seen and is a majority white. I loved the town and its people but the disdain that many college proffessionals (ball state) had for the local all white-working-lower class populous was insulting. Im sure that places such as anderson in, evansville, ft wayne...ect ect have much the same situation.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:32 AM

115 posts, read 301,850 times
It's a curious thing that so many of us have had such different experiences.

For myself, I've known many wonderful black folks throughout the course of my life. And yet, I can't help but see that race relations in this country are getting worse with each passing day. I attribute that to the fact that there's been so much pandering to blacks for the past four decades, including millions of TV shows and newspaper articles basically drilling everyone with the message that "white males" are to blame for all the world's troubles. (Ted Koppel made a career out of this sort of thing by using his Nightline soapbox for well over two decades to couch one show in after another denigrating Caucasians ... .)

And just this morning, I was watching the local news and heard 'em say that a(nother) convenience store worker was assaulted ... via a bottle smashed over her head. And when I heard that I immediately thought, "Another black dude out doing his thang."

And sure enough, the guy was indeed "a black male" (that authorities are looking for).

At least two or three times a week around here black males are doing this kind of cr*p, even though they're maybe just four percent of the population.

I live by the ideal to treat everyone the way that I want to be treated, but I do use my God-given commonsense and don't go out of my way to be around blacks. Life is too short to play games with one's self in matters of deadly serious reality.

Sadly, one thing seems certain above all else: America will one day in the not-too-distant future have a full-blown race war!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates