U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 12:32 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,576,792 times

Advertisements

Wow, this thread has taken on a whole different topic, i was just wondering if you would trade a better economy for higher crime rates, and it's turned into crime rates in saginaw? Wow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 01:08 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
Wow, this thread has taken on a whole different topic, i was just wondering if you would trade a better economy for higher crime rates, and it's turned into crime rates in saginaw? Wow
So we're supposed to keep using Modesto instead of Saginaw? Your premise is that worse economy means lower crime rate everywhere. We don't all accept that.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:13 PM

8,664 posts, read 6,338,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Yes, you are absolutely right that the numbers themselves in violent crime have decreased-but I wonder how this correlates with the large number of people who have also left the state in these past few years to find work elsewhere. The numbers in crime have decreased, but so has the number of the population.

http://detnews.com/article/20090402/...staggers-state

Michigan Population Declines for Third Year in a Row "Five Short Blasts" Forum

I don't think there is much correlation at all. The reason being is that essentially the states population is still up for the decade. The states population did not exceed 10 million until 2001 or or something like that. In other words, today, the state has just about the same populaiton as it had in 2000, when crime rates were higher. Secondly, violent crime has been dropping nationally and nationally there are about 10 percent more people than in 2000.

Again, I think crime is dropping because the drugs of choice have changed. Crack cocaine spiked crime in America the late 80's and early 90's. The drug had its appex and has been in steady decline. Drugs are the number one cause of violence in America. Remember that violence really escalated after the Vietnam war and all the heroin that started hitting our cities in the early 70's. I pesonally think that these drugs were pumped into the inner-city to kill the black power movement and the militancy of those times (like giving fire water to the indians). Then it ramped up again with Crack Cocain. Meth is more of a rural and suburban phenomenon than an innercity thing. Poor people are not killing each other over market share in the underground economy.

Its drugs, drugs, drugs.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:01 PM

2,756 posts, read 5,259,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
I've heard various places here in California, and throughout the country there has been a drop in murders, car thefts. There was a cover story the other day that both car thefts in Modesto and Stockton, two of the top five in car thefts have both declined. Now, I'm not sure how the economy would cause crime to decline, you'd think it would do the opposite.

I'm not saying crime is declining everywhere, but for arguments sake, heres my question. This economy has been hurting everybody, I don't know anyone that's not directly or indirectly affected. If you had a choice, would you rather have 5 more years of the economy going the way it has, but crime steadily decline. OR would you accept crime raising if the economy started growing again.

First thought might be, of course you'd take less crime, however, this recession has hurt a lot of people. I could see people accepting a few more break ins, if it meant a secure job.
But you're making the mistake of supposing that the declining crime rate is somehow connected with the current economic recession, when in fact the two are not realted at all. Most major crimes have been in steady decline for about five years now, due to economically-unrelated reasons like tougher laws, better enforcement, more efficent law enforcement practices, and also be measures taken by law-abiding citizens, such as being more cautious with their poperty and their safety, as well as being more helpful to police in crime prevention.
I see no logical way in which a poor economy and lower crime could ever be related. Poor economy and higher crime, maybe, but not the other way around.
As far as answering your question, though, as to which trend I prefer; gimme a better economy anyday. We'll take care of the badboys anyway.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:10 PM

33,949 posts, read 32,379,274 times
If I was looking to compare the economy and crime rates, I would only look at theft related crime: burglary, purse snatching, shoplifting, robbery, home invasions, car jacking, car break-ins, car theft, employee theft. I might also throw in white collar theft like tax fraud/abuse, medicare/medicaid fraud, etc..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates