U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-11-2010, 07:41 PM
 
1,730 posts, read 2,881,585 times
Reputation: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
Why do the people from Brooklyn, Chicago, Detroit, LA, new york, and other areas feel they are somehow a bad ***? Who cares where you grew up...more than likely all that means is you have a lower than average IQ..it does not mean you are tougher than someone who was raised in say Seattle, or Duluth or even someone from Omaha.

So, why do these people think they are tougher than others? Are their IQ's just so low that is all they see?
You seem a little confused.........you are mentioning people in Brooklyn, New York, and then again, New York, as having a low I.Q.? Who have you been talking too? New York, N.Y. has the biggest minds in the country, and Brooklyn, New York, with almost three million people, has many of the best minds in the world. Even the person with the lowest I.Q., as you put has streets smarts, that will surpase people with college degrees, in some states.................You seem to be very confused...............

 
Old 01-11-2010, 09:34 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn
40,060 posts, read 18,934,629 times
Reputation: 10093
So since his original posting, it seems as though fracturedman has vanished. I hope he got his question answered satisfactorily.
 
Old 01-13-2010, 07:28 PM
 
1,730 posts, read 2,881,585 times
Reputation: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Ithaca, Hanover, Princeton, Providence, New Haven, Palo Alto, South Bend, Ann Arbor, Charlottesville, Champaign, Durham, Madison, Evanston?

Colleges were intentionally placed away from big cities, to avoid the negative urban influence.

You mentioned PRINCETON College, which is in New Jersey. Are you aware of the fact that Princeton College is not very far from the NUMBER ONE CRIME CITY, in the US..........CAMDEN?
 
Old 01-14-2010, 12:00 AM
 
Location: The Middle
5,208 posts, read 7,431,009 times
Reputation: 6496
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
Why do the people from Brooklyn, Chicago, Detroit, LA, new york, and other areas feel they are somehow a bad ***? Who cares where you grew up...more than likely all that means is you have a lower than average IQ..it does not mean you are tougher than someone who was raised in say Seattle, or Duluth or even someone from Omaha.

So, why do these people think they are tougher than others? Are their IQ's just so low that is all they see?
I am originally from the Detroit area. I grew up in a very blue collar suburb a stone's throw from Detroit, literally. Detroit was across the street and a not so nice part either. Over the years the crime started to filter in. Crackheads would pound on my door looking for rides or money. A murder happened at the corner coneyland where people were gunned down with an AK-47. My hometown started to become an extension of Detroit.

I never considered myself a bad a** cuss I knew where I was at was nothing compared to the true ghettos of Detroit. I worked in Detroit and drove through some pretty horrific areas. You become street wise, you are always aware of your surroundings and plenty of times I did not stop at red lights in certain areas. Red lights were mere suggestions to me. I moved away and now live in an area that is semi rural but close to a city that does have crime. Anytime I tell people where I am from, they do not know what city I am talking about. When I say a burb of Detroit, then they just assume I am from Detroit. I never feel comfortable with this because I did not actually grow up in the city. Also you quickly realize how little people know about Detroit. All they see on the news is the horrific things. So either people seem endured by you or repulsed. It sucks to be honest. I will leave that bad a** badge to the people that really lived in Detroit. But I do have to say, that I feel more street wise than most (that live where I do now). I almost chuckle at the paranoia people have in my new locale as they truly do not know how bad crime can be. Bad neighborhoods seem just run down to me. They do not look like real ghettos.

There will always be people that want to claim that Detroit bad a** honor that are just people from affluent burbs just outside of Detroit. Kid Rock annoys me to no end as he grew up in Romeo which is by no means a bad area. Also not close to Detroit at all. He grew up very middle class and his daddy installed a full fledge recording studio in his basement to encourage his talent. Not exactly roughin it. Most men I know that are truly tough are usually gentlemen first, they know what it means to take care of themselves and will only demonstrate it when its truly needed.
 
Old 01-14-2010, 06:39 AM
 
29,316 posts, read 17,450,760 times
Reputation: 14339
Most of the guys I went to college with from rougher areas:

1) Didn't brag about being "tough guys" even though many of them were. REAL tough guys from tough areas know that lipping off about how bad you are is a great way to get jumped by 3 guys or hit from behind with a pipe etc.

2) Many of them were a bit intimidated by some of the guys from rural areas because several of those guys were very very tough having worked on farms etc. from an early age.

3) I think the OP has been watching "Jersey Shore" or some other show filled with posers on steroids or HGH from the burbs where you could actually get away with showboating and not get stomped. (or shot)
 
Old 01-14-2010, 07:54 AM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,294 posts, read 13,692,296 times
Reputation: 3652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Most of the guys I went to college with from rougher areas:

1) Didn't brag about being "tough guys" even though many of them were. REAL tough guys from tough areas know that lipping off about how bad you are is a great way to get jumped by 3 guys or hit from behind with a pipe etc.

2) Many of them were a bit intimidated by some of the guys from rural areas because several of those guys were very very tough having worked on farms etc. from an early age.

3) I think the OP has been watching "Jersey Shore" or some other show filled with posers on steroids or HGH from the burbs where you could actually get away with showboating and not get stomped. (or shot)
You're right. There are tough guys, then there are posers. It's usually the posers you see and hear.
 
Old 01-14-2010, 08:04 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
38,739 posts, read 35,885,429 times
Reputation: 28569
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
You mentioned PRINCETON College, which is in New Jersey. Are you aware of the fact that Princeton College is not very far from the NUMBER ONE CRIME CITY, in the US..........CAMDEN?
How foolish of them to have put such a good college there, instead of Brooklyn Chicago or Detroit, where the smart and educable people were.
 
Old 01-15-2010, 12:19 AM
 
1,779 posts, read 1,309,874 times
Reputation: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Okay...so on that note, how about people who think that they're smarter and better than everyone else because they grew up in Grosse Pointe or Orange County or went to an Ivy League as opposed to a state school or (gasp) a community college?

I guess that's another thread...
I think someone who gets a degree in a community college over an ivy league school is going to be smarter. After all its a piece of paper..would you rather pay $20,000 or $200,000 for that paper? Your learning the same things and getting the same degree. The people who go to Ivy league schools arent always smarter because more than likely Mommy or Daddy pulled some legs or pulled out the wallet to pay for that school. A smarter person works hard for an education and doesnt except handouts.
 
Old 01-15-2010, 07:45 AM
 
29,316 posts, read 17,450,760 times
Reputation: 14339
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
I think someone who gets a degree in a community college over an ivy league school is going to be smarter. After all its a piece of paper..would you rather pay $20,000 or $200,000 for that paper? Your learning the same things and getting the same degree. The people who go to Ivy league schools arent always smarter because more than likely Mommy or Daddy pulled some legs or pulled out the wallet to pay for that school. A smarter person works hard for an education and doesnt except handouts.
Well, in fairness....most of the people at Ivy league schools ARE much smarter than CC students. The vast majority are there on merit without parents pulling strings but you are right about the costs.

I do agree that spending $200,000 on an undergraduate education is a tall order and there are ivy leaguers with "buyers remorse" especially in this economy.

I'm a big proponent of CC and public universities but let's not kid ourselves in that the "average" student you pull aside at Harvard or some other top Universities (U of Chicago, U of IL engineering etc.) is going to be someone that was in the top few of their graduating class with test scores in the top 1% or so.

You could walk down the hall in my dorm and ask people who had perfect math SAT's or ACT's and it wasn't a rare thing to see.
 
Old 01-15-2010, 07:46 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn
40,060 posts, read 18,934,629 times
Reputation: 10093
I must say, the more one logs onto C-D, the more fascinating things one learns. This is the first time I've ever heard of a community college being equated with an Ivy League school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:52 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top