U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2010, 07:57 AM

38,691 posts, read 85,472,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
I dont mean to insult anyone who went to an ivy league school. I didnt say all I said most. Honestly I dont have anything against them, it just makes me laugh when someone has to point out they went to this school or grew up in this neighborhood. My question for them is, And why do I care? or my favorite, Are you still there? NO! Then ****. nobody cares where you grew up or what school you went to. It should only matter to you, unless you have something to prove. I took this class once(non school related) and there was a couple who both went to some ivy league school. They always brought it up. They were a couple of lawyers and I asked them how that mattered in a art class? If your trying to be a politician or apply for some high end job then sure boast all you want about it...but when it is irrelavent to the moment...shut it! Same goes for what neighborhood you grew up in. Unless it pertains to that moment...who cares?
Your whole "who cares" routine rings a little hollow considering how much time you've spent in this thread trashing entire groups of people based on a few whom you've met. Evidently it means a great deal to you if for no other reason so you can label them and dismiss them as pampered or low IQ or whatever.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:37 AM

1,779 posts, read 2,003,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Your whole "who cares" routine rings a little hollow considering how much time you've spent in this thread trashing entire groups of people based on a few whom you've met. Evidently it means a great deal to you if for no other reason so you can label them and dismiss them as pampered or low IQ or whatever.
Actually, I dont spend that much time in this thread. It really doesnt mean that much to me. I was asking a simple question and some people threw it out of proportion. If people want to get all worked up over a stupid question or someone elses opinon that is their deal, not mine. I could really care less about the people we are discussing and the people on this thread for that matter. In the end I have my opinon you have yours, and not a thing on this earth could change mine, same probably goes for you and the others on this thread. So, at that I say farewell and good luck with them ivy leaguers and brooklyn ballers..lol.

Old 01-16-2010, 05:01 PM

2,996 posts, read 4,665,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
Why do the people from Brooklyn, Chicago, Detroit, LA, new york, and other areas feel they are somehow a bad ***? Who cares where you grew up...more than likely all that means is you have a lower than average IQ..it does not mean you are tougher than someone who was raised in say Seattle, or Duluth or even someone from Omaha.

So, why do these people think they are tougher than others? Are their IQ's just so low that is all they see?
Its all to do with pride, rebellion, arrogance, and inflated ego ; people should concentrate on loving thier fellow human being ... and any level of personal IQ can do that.

Old 01-17-2010, 08:53 PM

48,653 posts, read 48,361,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
You mentioned PRINCETON College, which is in New Jersey. Are you aware of the fact that Princeton College is not very far from the NUMBER ONE CRIME CITY, in the US..........CAMDEN?
They are about fifty miles apart.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:50 PM

574 posts, read 821,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fractured_kidult View Post
Why do the people from Brooklyn, Chicago, Detroit, LA, new york, and other areas feel they are somehow a bad ***? Who cares where you grew up...more than likely all that means is you have a lower than average IQ..it does not mean you are tougher than someone who was raised in say Seattle, or Duluth or even someone from Omaha.

So, why do these people think they are tougher than others? Are their IQ's just so low that is all they see?

I think that when you generalize you tend to be wrong. I knowm people from NY who are very ladi back and I met some of the best people in Chicago.
I think that it depends whom you are talking to. In any city/country you will find people "bragging" about being from tough areas; normally those never make much progress in life. But most of hard working people from NY, Chicago are just fine people trying to make a decent living.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:37 AM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,055 posts, read 3,645,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I can tell you first hand, as someone who was raised in a rural town, and worked in downtown Detroit the answer to this.

The people who grew up in downtown Detroit live in a war zone. There are murders, killings, gang wars, and lots of other dangers, daily. The people in Omaha don't face that threat. I've been to Seattle, I didn't feel uncomfortable at anyone time.

However, you put me down at Livernois and 5 mile, I'm freaked at any point of the day, let alone at night.

Most of the people you've encountered though probably just lived in a suburb though. They aren't anymore bad asses then anyone anywhere.
I know this thread is old but I HAD to! lol. 5mile? really? gtfoh! no one and I do mean NO ONE calls FENKELL 5mile unless they are outsiders smh. Just like no one calls 6mile McNichols unless they are not and do not live here. Gang wars? warzone? killings daily? lol there are hardly any gangs here plus there are more "killings daily" in places like Chicago rather than Detroit. to the OP wow because I'm from Detroit I must have a low IQ? lmao get a life. Obviously these people must be tough because they don't get on the internet to "internet bang" or in other words say what they will not say in reality

Old 05-19-2010, 03:49 AM

8,260 posts, read 6,079,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
I know this thread is old but I HAD to! lol. 5mile? really? gtfoh! no one and I do mean NO ONE calls FENKELL 5mile unless they are outsiders smh. Just like no one calls 6mile McNichols unless they are not and do not live here. Gang wars? warzone? killings daily? lol there are hardly any gangs here plus there are more "killings daily" in places like Chicago rather than Detroit. to the OP wow because I'm from Detroit I must have a low IQ? lmao get a life. Obviously these people must be tough because they don't get on the internet to "internet bang" or in other words say what they will not say in reality

Old 05-19-2010, 03:53 AM

2,943 posts, read 2,254,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fractured_kidult View Post

wow stereotype much? i don't even know how to respond to this without being insulting.

First off, do you have any data that shows brooklyn, chicago,detroit, LA, New York, and other areas having lower IQ compared to the nation average? (because this is the great debate forum one would hope you can back up your claims)

Second, define badass? because you left it so open i can say badass could refer to being funny in which case...i guess the people who live in these towns just have a good sense of humor

Old 05-19-2010, 12:12 PM

1,777 posts, read 3,994,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
It's a stereotype. There are plenty of people from all of these places who do not fit into the stereotype. I have a friend who is originally from Brooklyn who is the most laid back person you'll come across.

Stereotypes are based in truth.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:32 PM

8,260 posts, read 6,079,598 times
What I find in certain circles is that when people find out you are from the D.....they want to "Test" you. Some people are out to get a "rep" and they think they can get big points off someone from the D. Its not information that I volunteer in certain circles.....especially around folks from the Chi....because its kind of a big rivarly thing between the D and the Chi....with some folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.