U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 04:28 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,055 posts, read 2,373,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
What I find in certain circles is that when people find out you are from the D.....they want to "Test" you. Some people are out to get a "rep" and they think they can get big points off someone from the D. Its not information that I volunteer in certain circles.....especially around folks from the Chi....because its kind of a big rivarly thing between the D and the Chi....with some folks.
that is so true! When I was living in FL everytime my friends and I told the Miami boys we were from Detroit the FIRST thing they said was "Detroit ain't tough, if I can survive in Miami I can survive anywhere" lmao my friends and I would just look at them an laugh like WE'RE FEMALES! plus we are not trying to start anything with anybody whether you're from Miami, Chicago, Detroit, Compton who cares? I'm just not that type of person. I'd rather make friends than enemies. Just because I'm from Detroit don't mean I think about beating up or killing everybody or should have a "eff you" attitude.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:40 PM

1,779 posts, read 1,362,054 times
I thought this thread was dead... No I do not have any "data" but every person where I live that is from Detroit, Chicago, LA or whatever think they are some tough guy. They talk about their run ins with the law and how many fights they have been in. One guy tried this crap on me when I caught him stealing. He told me he was from Brooklyn and was in a gang back there and that if I didnt leave him alone he would call his gang up and i would regret messing with him. My reaction was this... Well sir, I am from Minnesota and moved up here to Spokane, people here are pretty laid back. But if you **** us off you'll regret it. I told him to go ahead and call his gang, I even gave him the phone to do so. I told him that I too made a call to my gang...the police. He was charged with theft and for threatening my life.

Im not saying im soft. On several occasions I have been downtown and gotten into bar fights because some a-hole is beating up a girl or someone weaker than them. I am yet to lose a fight. why because I am smart about it. I fight to restrain not to inflict harm. I restrain them until the police show up and my job is done.

Listen, When it comes to strength, toughness, or intelligence...it does not matter where you are from. What matters is how you use your gift/talents. If you use them to cause harm...your an idiot. If you use them to gain rep... you're and idiot. If you use them in any other way than for good... you're and idiot.

Strength is not strength if you use it to do harm or make people feel weak.
Intelligance is not intelligence if you use it to do harm or make people feel dumb.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:29 PM

4,117 posts, read 2,649,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
that is so true! When I was living in FL everytime my friends and I told the Miami boys we were from Detroit the FIRST thing they said was "Detroit ain't tough, if I can survive in Miami I can survive anywhere" lmao my friends and I would just look at them an laugh like WE'RE FEMALES! plus we are not trying to start anything with anybody whether you're from Miami, Chicago, Detroit, Compton who cares? I'm just not that type of person. I'd rather make friends than enemies. Just because I'm from Detroit don't mean I think about beating up or killing everybody or should have a "eff you" attitude.
I checked out that video you posted on the Detroit Sub Forum. I get so sick of the Detroit bashing. That was right on time. Much love to you DetroitLuv...and keep your head up. Yep...and you represent THE NORM of Detroit.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:12 PM

36,368 posts, read 57,116,171 times
Thanks to whomever resurrected this thoroughly inane thread.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fractured_kidult View Post
I thought this thread was dead... No I do not have any "data" but every person where I live that is from Detroit, Chicago, LA or whatever think they are some tough guy. They talk about their run ins with the law and how many fights they have been in. One guy tried this crap on me when I caught him stealing. He told me he was from Brooklyn and was in a gang back there and that if I didnt leave him alone he would call his gang up and i would regret messing with him. My reaction was this... Well sir, I am from Minnesota and moved up here to Spokane, people here are pretty laid back. But if you **** us off you'll regret it. I told him to go ahead and call his gang, I even gave him the phone to do so. I told him that I too made a call to my gang...the police. He was charged with theft and for threatening my life.

Im not saying im soft. On several occasions I have been downtown and gotten into bar fights because some a-hole is beating up a girl or someone weaker than them. I am yet to lose a fight. why because I am smart about it. I fight to restrain not to inflict harm. I restrain them until the police show up and my job is done.

Listen, When it comes to strength, toughness, or intelligence...it does not matter where you are from. What matters is how you use your gift/talents. If you use them to cause harm...your an idiot. If you use them to gain rep... you're and idiot. If you use them in any other way than for good... you're and idiot.

Strength is not strength if you use it to do harm or make people feel weak.
Intelligance is not intelligence if you use it to do harm or make people feel dumb.
why do I have a hard time believing this story???? hmmm let's see the only people who I think go other places, from Detroit, that act that way are drug dealers! because they HAVE to have that kind of attitude or ignorant people who love that rep. If you hang around those types then what does that say about you? Most of us really REALLY hate that people prejudge us to be some type of killer or tough person just because we are from Detroit. That honestly is the ONLY time I get mad and my so-called "Detroit attitude" comes out. You try being from one of these places and people automatically push the thought of being your friend out of their mind just because of where you're from and see what type of attitude you have. No different than people assuming every southern is nice or every midwesterner is a rural town, country bumpkin and as sweet as pie or every north eastern person is rude and arrogant or California person being materialistic and shallow........people hate to be prejudged just because they are from a certain place. Ever stop to think maybe these Detroit, Chicago and Brooklyn people may catch an attitude because of your assumption of how they would or should act?

Old 05-19-2010, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I checked out that video you posted on the Detroit Sub Forum. I get so sick of the Detroit bashing. That was right on time. Much love to you DetroitLuv...and keep your head up. Yep...and you represent THE NORM of Detroit.
thank you much! I do too especially since most people have no intention to help but steady talk smh

Old 05-19-2010, 11:57 PM

1,779 posts, read 1,362,054 times
I have nothing against people from these places. It just seems the majority that have moved here do have an instant tough guy attitude. I know a few from Brooklyn and they are awesome guys, they even think its stupid when people claim they are tough just because of where they grew up. I know one guy who is from brooklyn, is an retired marine, who also worked as a cop in brooklyn... I wouldnt mess with him just because... well I think you get the picture. He is a nice guy with a heart of gold...but you mess with his friends or anyone he cares about(everyone) and it wont end well for you.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:05 AM

1,233 posts, read 1,385,945 times
Absolutely. Very astute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates