Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 08:04 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I must say, the more one logs onto C-D, the more fascinating things one learns. This is the first time I've ever heard of a community college being equated with an Ivy League school.
Without being an academia buff, I have the impression that a bachelors degree from an Ivy will more likely get you into grad school, but to go out in the job market with a BA from Harvard would get your no further and no faster than a BA from Slippery Rock.

The only reason people are smarter when they walk out of Harvard is because they were smarter when they walked in.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:47 AM

1,780 posts, read 2,352,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
... Most men I know that are truly tough are usually gentlemen first, they know what it means to take care of themselves and will only demonstrate it when its truly needed.
And thats just it. A tough guy doesnt need to show off. A tough guy knows when to use his strengths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
You're right. There are tough guys, then there are posers. It's usually the posers you see and hear.
BINGO!!! That is what I was getting at. Posers claim they are bad a** even here on C-D I see them all the time.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Well, in fairness....most of the people at Ivy league schools ARE much smarter than CC students. The vast majority are there on merit without parents pulling strings but you are right about the costs.

I do agree that spending $200,000 on an undergraduate education is a tall order and there are ivy leaguers with "buyers remorse" especially in this economy.

I'm a big proponent of CC and public universities but let's not kid ourselves in that the "average" student you pull aside at Harvard or some other top Universities (U of Chicago, U of IL engineering etc.) is going to be someone that was in the top few of their graduating class with test scores in the top 1% or so.

You could walk down the hall in my dorm and ask people who had perfect math SAT's or ACT's and it wasn't a rare thing to see.
Sorry there is a difference in book smarts and life smarts. People from Ivy league schools know the books. People from Community colleges have both life experience and book smarts.

I have met people from Ivy league schools and Im not impressed. Sure they know alot about their field but they know little about anything else. They have no idea what it means to work hard for what you got/get. Most of them have a stick up their a** so far that trying to remove it would break the stick. Remember, I have said most and not all. Not all Ivy league people are dicks. Some of them are actually pretty nice and have both life experience and their education to fall on.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:19 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Right, people from Ivy League schools have no idea what it's like to work. They just slouched and slept their way into and out of those Ivy League schools and now they kick their feet up on their desks all day at work.

I sense a little sheepskin envy.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Right, people from Ivy League schools have no idea what it's like to work. They just slouched and slept their way into and out of those Ivy League schools and now they kick their feet up on their desks all day at work.

I sense a little sheepskin envy.
Nope not for me. Most Ivy league students care about one thing...themselves. But same can be said for people at every college depending on your degree. People from Ivy league schools know what its like to do bookwork yes. Labor is out of the window for most of them. Im sorry but most people who go to ivy league schools have most things handed to them. Sure some work hard to get there but most dont. How do I know? working with Ivy league pricks.

I can only go off of my life experience with these sorts and so far its not in their favor, and that goes for ivy leagues and Brooklyn thugs.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:48 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Maybe you should have gone to an Ivy League school, if for no other reason so you could at least learn what a "logical fallacy" is and how to construct just one single post that doesn't readily resort to them.

You claim not to be envious but frankly your posts is so dripping with sour grapes that it's hardly worth the bother trying to deny it. And if you're truly not jealous, you sure have an odd way of showing it.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:40 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,224,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
Why do the people from Brooklyn, Chicago, Detroit, LA, new york, and other areas feel they are somehow a bad ***? Who cares where you grew up...more than likely all that means is you have a lower than average IQ..it does not mean you are tougher than someone who was raised in say Seattle, or Duluth or even someone from Omaha.

So, why do these people think they are tougher than others? Are their IQ's just so low that is all they see?

I have lived in New York and Chicago, and some areas in both demand that attitude. In the last 10 years we have had a slew of books that hit the market with a focus on girls and violence. It has a lot to do with survival. It is absolutely necessary to create that image in the street so that you do not wind up seriously hurt or taken advantage of or jumped for something completely and totally asinine.

This is what I think happens but I would have to go research it: When people leave those areas and interact with populations where those survival skills aren't necessary then they come off like that. I think it takes time to adapt.

I listened to the interaction between a boy and his mother during an interview. Mother said to him that he needed to go to school and keep his mouth shut while there. The only person that he needed to converse with was his teacher. The kid says to the mother that is not how it works and that by not saying anything he was likely to encounter more violence.

I do not think that the whole bad attitude thing is a true representation of the individual, although, I am sure that there are those lacking any further depth.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Maybe you should have gone to an Ivy League school, if for no other reason so you could at least learn what a "logical fallacy" is and how to construct just one single post that doesn't readily resort to them.

You claim not to be envious but frankly your posts is so dripping with sour grapes that it's hardly worth the bother trying to deny it. And if you're truly not jealous, you sure have an odd way of showing it.
I dont mean to insult anyone who went to an ivy league school. I didnt say all I said most. Honestly I dont have anything against them, it just makes me laugh when someone has to point out they went to this school or grew up in this neighborhood. My question for them is, And why do I care? or my favorite, Are you still there? NO! Then ****. nobody cares where you grew up or what school you went to. It should only matter to you, unless you have something to prove. I took this class once(non school related) and there was a couple who both went to some ivy league school. They always brought it up. They were a couple of lawyers and I asked them how that mattered in a art class? If your trying to be a politician or apply for some high end job then sure boast all you want about it...but when it is irrelavent to the moment...shut it! Same goes for what neighborhood you grew up in. Unless it pertains to that moment...who cares?

Old 01-16-2010, 06:39 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,593,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
I can only go off of my life experience with these sorts and so far its not in their favor, and that goes for ivy leagues and Brooklyn thugs.
Then that's the problem; you need to widen your experiences. There are two and a half million people living in Brooklyn--and it's not quite accurate to write us all off as thugs.

Old 01-16-2010, 06:51 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,224,475 times
Gee, and I wonder why people continuously say to grow up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates