Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2010, 01:15 PM

152 posts, read 116,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
See now, here's a problem...

Don't bother jumping all over me, because I don't view the book of Genesis as a science book.

But do you have any idea how snarky and condescending your post is? And do you think you're winning over any converts with that tone and attitude?

I find it sad that people who expect civil debate are so unwilling to engage in it themselves.
I grow tired of all the silly things certain people say acting as if they are dealing with facts when it is all fairy tales. Empty, hollow fairy tales. They twist truth around, learn a tiny fraction of science and then twist it into a pretzel to fit their silly notions.

I tell you what, on any "thing" or "amount" you want, you provide me any evidence that a Creator exists, and you win. However, it has to pass two tests

A. What you assert to be proof has to be verifiably true

and

B. It has to have actual evidenciary value pointing to the existance of a Creator. If you pass both, you win, fail either, I win.

Knock yourself out trying, but when you lose, be a man about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 01:58 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,938,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahiahiono View Post
I grow tired of all the silly things certain people say acting as if they are dealing with facts when it is all fairy tales. Empty, hollow fairy tales. They twist truth around, learn a tiny fraction of science and then twist it into a pretzel to fit their silly notions.

I tell you what, on any "thing" or "amount" you want, you provide me any evidence that a Creator exists, and you win. However, it has to pass two tests

A. What you assert to be proof has to be verifiably true

and

B. It has to have actual evidenciary value pointing to the existance of a Creator. If you pass both, you win, fail either, I win.

Knock yourself out trying, but when you lose, be a man about it.
The problem with an argument like that is it can be turned around on you as well. There's not any way to prove or disprove a deity.

And frankly, nobody's going to listen to you anyway, because you're trying to change their core beliefs. If we're going to make any sort of progress on an issue like this, there has to be room for people to adapt it into their beliefs.

Otherwise, it just becomes an exercise in making yourself feel superior.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post
The problem with an argument like that is it can be turned around on you as well. There's not any way to prove or disprove a deity.

And frankly, nobody's going to listen to you anyway, because you're trying to change their core beliefs. If we're going to make any sort of progress on an issue like this, there has to be room for people to adapt it into their beliefs.

Otherwise, it just becomes an exercise in making yourself feel superior.
I never asserted there wasn't a Creator, only that

A. If there was one, he, she or it has left absolutely no evidence of his, her or its existance behind.

AND

B. If there is one, it is a very half-assed one that should probably leave the creating biz to those with better skills. After all, look at the multitude of failures, failing, weaknesses and errors just in one species, homo sapien.

I agree with you that those who live in the terror of their existance ending, will never give up their desperation. You are correct in this. Their fear is just too strong for them to let go.

I also agree with you about time allowing people to adapt truth. Generation by generation, people are coming to realize the mythology is just that, mythology.

Personallty, I have my own religion. There are no gods, no dieties, no angels, no devils, just 3 core virtues.

A. Be Good

B. Do Good

C. Fight Evil

I don't hold these virtues because I am afraid of some hell or desire some heaven. I hold them despite knowing that there is no hell or heaven, but that it is the right thing to do to be good, and to do good and to fight evil.

I also agree with you on myth-holders having an aire of superiority about them - snooty, if you will. It is most off-puting, if you ask me. They hold themseleves as being superior because they feel they have found a higher cause, or part of a superior team, but all they are, are adults who believe in the tooth fairy, great pumpkin and Santa Claus all wrapped into one.

MahiAhiOno

Old 03-23-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
I also agree with you on myth-holders having an aire of superiority about them - snooty, if you will. It is most off-puting, if you ask me. They hold themseleves as being superior because they feel they have found a higher cause, or part of a superior team, but all they are, are adults who believe in the tooth fairy, great pumpkin and Santa Claus all wrapped into one.
MahiAhiOno
The line about making yourself feel superior was directed at your remarks.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post
The line about making yourself feel superior was directed at your remarks.
Then it was assinine.

The "believers" are the one who going around saying "We aren't perfect, just forgiven". they are the ones who say that "if you don't believe as I do you are going to hell". They are the ones who act as if they have the moral high ground, but it seems as if all they are doing is trying to avoid the stick and get the carrot. It isn't heart felt.

No, what you might detect about "superiority" is probably your ego being reflected off of me, but then, myopia blurs all images, so I guess I can understand your confusion.

BTW, you are NOT forgiven, just confused.

MahiAhiOno

Old 03-23-2010, 06:27 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,280,807 times
Quote:
Then it was assinine.

The "believers" are the one who going around saying "We aren't perfect, just forgiven". they are the ones who say that "if you don't believe as I do you are going to hell". They are the ones who act as if they have the moral high ground, but it seems as if all they are doing is trying to avoid the stick and get the carrot. It isn't heart felt.

No, what you might detect about "superiority" is probably your ego being reflected off of me, but then, myopia blurs all images, so I guess I can understand your confusion.

MahiAhiOno
You might think of looking into a mirror from time to time.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
You might think of looking into a mirror from time to time.
You might think of looking into a mirror from time to time

Old 03-23-2010, 10:09 PM

164 posts, read 298,301 times
Are you guys 6 years old or something? Quit personaly attacking each other. Enjoy yourselves and debate!

Old 03-23-2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Then it was assinine.

MahiAhiOno
Being condescending surely proves your point about not being condescending.

And what exactly am I not forgiven for?

Old 03-24-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnt-User View Post
Are you guys 6 years old or something? Quit personaly attacking each other. Enjoy yourselves and debate!
Now listen sonny boy, I merely echoed his response to me. BTW, I am 7, not 6.

MahiAhiOno
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates