Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 08:55 PM

19 posts, read 35,190 times

Advertisements

Sometimes, it's not a matter of motivation, but instead, is about learning to appreciate all that you have and thankful for all that you don't.

I help people who are in much worse situations than I have ever been and this makes me thankful for what I have and motivates me to keeping it. It also keeps me hopeful that, should I be in the same situation, there may be someone like me helping too.

Last edited by BleedBlack&Gold; 01-14-2010 at 09:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 09:12 PM

1,841 posts, read 3,173,336 times
Intention and Karma.

Very simple.

I believe that everything has a purpose and everything we go through good and bad is intended, pre-destined, and even though we may not see it at the time somewhere along the road we realize why we went through these things suffered through certain times.
Specifically for me it is my son, my family and that good feeling I get at the end of the day that I made a difference in someone's life, that due to my experiences I can assist them..

Old 01-14-2010, 11:13 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Feeling needed is one of the greatest high's available to you on this planet.

Giving to others without expecting anything in return, there's another high.

It all helps to overcome the diversities in one's life. Keeps me going.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:19 AM

1,688 posts, read 4,298,815 times
Motivates and energizes:
Any action of mine that encourages me or another to be free in this world of ours. And now that I have children, it's my responsiblity to teach them to do the same. I must say that after I had kids every action, thought and decision was motivated by them.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:42 AM

61,685 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Challenge is my motivation! If things get to smooth, to predictible, to routine and to boring, I will loose my focus and energy in life

Old 01-16-2010, 03:36 PM

39 posts, read 285,055 times
Thanks so much for much insights provided so far. I have one follow-up question and I will be very specific with my question.

Suppose you are a young adult who had many blessing in life. You were born in very supportive and stable family who gave you good parenting and provided excellent education. You grow up and have a great career. You enjoy and love many facets of your life.
One day you were driving to work and got hit by a drunk driver with no fault of your own. You sustained a spinal cord injury which resulted in paralysis of your body below the waist. Now, you suddenly find yourself going through great discomfort and inconvenience in getting dressed, taking showers, moving location to location among others.... You have to live with caretakers who attend to your needs.

Imagine living in such discomforts day in day out. Imagine having to rely upon others for basic things in life which many people take for granted. You are also missing out on things you enjoyed in life such as exercising, playing sports, swimming, and just being active with your body.

How would you live your life if your life were suddenly turned upside down with no fault of your own? How would you live your life if you have to face such discomforts and inconveniences every day?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Old 01-16-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicesinging1 View Post
Thanks so much for much insights provided so far. I have one follow-up question and I will be very specific with my question.

Suppose you are a young adult who had many blessing in life. You were born in very supportive and stable family who gave you good parenting and provided excellent education. You grow up and have a great career. You enjoy and love many facets of your life.
One day you were driving to work and got hit by a drunk driver with no fault of your own. You sustained a spinal cord injury which resulted in paralysis of your body below the waist. Now, you suddenly find yourself going through great discomfort and inconvenience in getting dressed, taking showers, moving location to location among others.... You have to live with caretakers who attend to your needs.

Imagine living in such discomforts day in day out. Imagine having to rely upon others for basic things in life which many people take for granted. You are also missing out on things you enjoyed in life such as exercising, playing sports, swimming, and just being active with your body.

How would you live your life if your life were suddenly turned upside down with no fault of your own? How would you live your life if you have to face such discomforts and inconveniences every day?

Thanks in advance for any insights.
You need to open up another thread for this question (in my opinion).
The situation you describe is one I deal with everyday. Your OP was ie: religion and kids.
This thread would jack and also not give an opportunity to the replies you would get. A disabled person does not neccesarily read the subject matter of your OP.
Take the buzzwords from what you just asked and then proceed with the rest: it looks well written. I believe you will get a thread that explodes with replies. I just don't think the same response will happen like this.
Salute...

Old 01-16-2010, 07:05 PM

nicesinging 1: I misrepresented your OP in my reply to you. Excuse. My advise is still the same.
Sincerely,
tyvin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates