Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 02:35 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Smokers don't enjoy a cigarette? Sex addicts don't like sex?
I had a friend who was a sex addict, and I can tell you, she didn't enjoy it. It was a urge, and one she didn't welcome. She would go out and have sex with some random stranger, and then break down crying about it afterwards.

Smoking is a bit different. I quit smoking, about 7 years ago now. I did enjoy smoking, very much. I still get a hankering for a cigarette on occasion. I can honestly say, I would still be smoking now, if I didn't have my son.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 03:39 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
An addict will do something for a "pleasure" this does not neccessarily mean that they actually enjoy what they are doing. After they do the behavior that gave them so much "pleasure" they do not like what they have done. It's called remorse.
And then to do this behavior over and over and over again knowing the outcome will always be the same they still do it. Another word that you may not be familiar with is insanity.

There is no logic in the situation it's just the way it is.
"Not necessarily" is the operative term there. There are exceptions to the general pattern of people doing things over and over again because they like to do them, even though in some cases ("not necessarily") there is remorse.

Please do not try to say the the sky is not blue because it is not necessarily blue. Or because it always remorsefully turns black at the end of the day.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:22 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,281,135 times
Part of the problem with addiction, from the perspective of those outside of it, is that it is difficult to know if someone is actually addicted, if they are using that term to excuse bad behavior, or are being labelled by someone for their own manipulative purposes.

There is a medical definition of addiction. Those who suffer from it often find their lives devastated. It can destroy families and relationships. The addict will have a lifelong struggle even if they are able to bring it under control. In fact, that control is a myth. Imagine spending every minute of your life with a voice in the back of your mind saying, "Dude, let's stop for a drink. Come on, just one. It won't hurt. Nobody will even know. Man, if you liked me you'd have a drink. It tastes so good. Come on, lets go..." On and on, incessantly, for the rest of your life. That is true addiction, as explained to me by some of the addicts I have helped (I used to be a therapist).

Some people use the term addiction to their advantage. I want to play video games all the time. I don't want to mow the lawn or take out the trash. Let her do it. I just want to sit here. "Oh, honey, I can't help it, I'm addicted to these games." (not to say there are no real video game addicts, just an example)

Some people, as Pandamonium has suggested, use the term to stigmatize someone who's behavior they do not like or understand, often in an attempt at manipulation or control. Her example of the runner was excellent.

The problem for us outsiders, is that we cannot look into someone's brain to see whether those particular synapses are firing in that way. External symptoms can be misleading. So, sometimes it seems that we are being played. That is unfortunate. But I believe that we still need to maintain a sense of compassion for those who are struggling with this heavy burden.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:27 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
Part of the problem with addiction, from the perspective of those outside of it, is that it is difficult to know if someone is actually addicted, if they are using that term to excuse bad behavior, or are being labelled by someone for their own manipulative purposes.
As, for example, the recent trend of people claiming to be "addicted" to the internet!

Old 01-12-2010, 03:05 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Oh, I think there is a real and tangible thing as addition. At the same time, the vast majority of so called "addiction" is just bad behavior. Because it's much easier to blame a disease than it is to actually take responsibility for one's own behavior.

Heck, I love potato chips. Put a bag in front of me and I can easily devour the entire cotton-picking thing. What's more, if I only eat some and then put it on the shelf, I will think about the bag of potato chips. I'll want to wander back to the kitchen and see what the potato chips are doing. Because I love the potato chips. They and their salty goodness occupy my thoughts.

But do I succumb? No, because I am a rational human being. I know that indulging my momentary passions in life is not healthy.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:09 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Oh, I think there is a real and tangible thing as addition. At the same time, the vast majority of so called "addiction" is just bad behavior. Because it's much easier to blame a disease than it is to actually take responsibility for one's own behavior.

Heck, I love potato chips. Put a bag in front of me and I can easily devour the entire cotton-picking thing. What's more, if I only eat some and then put it on the shelf, I will think about the bag of potato chips. I'll want to wander back to the kitchen and see what the potato chips are doing. Because I love the potato chips. They and their salty goodness occupy my thoughts.

But do I succumb? No, because I am a rational human being. I know that indulging my momentary passions in life is not healthy.
Yes, but have you ever felt like you had to eat something. Imagine feeling that way all the time.

Some people feel that way, they have a chemical imbalance in their brains. When most peoples brains say "Thats enough, I don't need to eat anymore" some people don't have that chemical reaction.

Thats the root of addiction. Thats why addicts run in families. Its a genetic problem.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:55 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
There is a definition of addiction that I can agree with; addiction is repeating success. You do something, it works for you, so you try it again.

I am getting tired of arguing and debating what addiction is or is not.

I'll give you my take on the deal.

I'm an alcoholic. This means that I can't control the start once I'm stopped and I can't control the stop once I'm started.

Some are not alcoholics, but merely hard drinkers. They can do one or the other above if they really want or need to, but they don't have both elements or they would be alcoholics too.

Once you become an alcoholic, that's it. There's no turning back. You cannot change a pickle back into a cucumber. The alcoholic can never safely drink until they die. The hard drinker can either choose to stay stopped or they can drink a couple or few and stop, but they have a hard if not impossible time giving up those two drinks. Their best solution... just don't drink.

I was not a drug addict. I was a social drug user. She's taking mushrooms, social I. But when I really wanted to or had to put the drugs down, I just quit.

I quit chewing Copenhagan about 2 years ago... and that was very hard. Let me tell you. It was mostly a mental thing. The urges took about a month or two to subside, but I just ate hard candy until the "urge" went away. No joke about it. It was tough.

Now you coffee drinkers; try going cold turkey... no coffee, caffeine, aspirin, chocolate... You will experience some physical pain. That seems like addiction to me.

Addiction ≠ alcoholism. Alcoholism is a very selective affliction. Only about 10% of us become real alcoholics and only about 20% of us even have an issue with alcoholism. PM me if you'd like for me to explain.

As far as drugs go, I would think anybody can get hooked on drugs like cocaine, meth, heroin, certain pharms, etc. I never did because they scared me. Booze never scared me and it should have.

To answer why some become alcoholics or why become addicts in the first place is pretty simple. Look at our star athletes, musicians, performers, artists, etc. Many many of them reach the pennicle of success that the world has to offer... which correlates to a consciousness power of about 200... according to David R. Hawkins, author of Power vs Force, The Eye of the I and I, Reality and Subjectivity. Get toasted on too many bourbon and cokes, do certain drugs, and you zip right on up to the level of about 600 or bliss. Then you come crashing down to 20 or 150 maybe... and all you did was temporarily removed all the garbage within you that blocks you from your true I or Self.

So... they/we are merely seeking a spiritual experience because once we see what the world has to offer, we say, "Woah, is this all there is?"

A better breakdown of these energy states is here...

This is why A.A. is a spiritual program that uses spiritual principles to overcome the spiritual malady which is beyond the capability of the human mind (499 max) and scientific research.

Oh, A.A. and the New Testament calibrate to be right at 540. That plus a bit more spiritual work can get you to 600 and beyond and is a sufficient substitute to booze.

So some of you will say, "But booze didn't do that much for me." ... and you would be correct. You're not an alcoholic and never will be.

Have a gr8 New Year!

Last edited by McGowdog; 01-12-2010 at 05:24 PM.. Reason: add chart
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates