U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-12-2010, 10:08 AM

38,729 posts, read 34,398,394 times
Default Are Women becoming the slaves of the 21st Century?

Women now comprise more than 50% of the work force in industrialized countries, and at last count, 49.9% of all workers in the USA. Women account for about 60% of college degrees.

So, women are doing most of the work.
AND being paid less for it.
AND carrying, bearing and nurturing the children besides.

What are the implications of that? What do men contribute?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 10:46 AM

898 posts, read 775,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
What do men contribute?
The other half of the work, unless there is a third gender out there we don't know about.

I'm not sure about the pay rates. I believe an individual's salary should be between that individual and his employer alone. When the job offer is given, that is when the salary negotiations can start.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:31 PM

326 posts, read 307,470 times
Quote:
Women now comprise more than 50% of the work force in industrialized countries, and at last count, 49.9% of all workers in the USA. Women account for about 60% of college degrees.

With all the due respect, seeing a post like this from jtur88, it is very obvious, that there are at least 2 different people posting under the nickname, as it was stated not so long ago by jtur88.
One is a wise person, the other/others are less.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:54 PM

7,092 posts, read 6,712,158 times
Well, if women are doing 50% of all the work...isn't that pretty well equal instead of exceed the 50% of the work done by men?

Unless you are counting hamsters in the labor pool or something.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:54 PM

22,628 posts, read 9,611,793 times
As for me, I care and nurture my child, and work, and clean the house, and make dinner, and all of that other fun stuff that comes along with life.

Most fathers I know are always busy doing something productive. Don't get me wrong, women are to. Most of the stay at home mothers I know sit around and watch reruns of desperate housewives, or Rosanne, and complaining about the house work they always have to be doing.

From what I've seen, if they put in a solid 8 hours of non stop work, like most of us do, then they wouldn't be busy at all.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:26 PM

1,505 posts, read 885,151 times
Quote:

Can we please drop the myth that women are paid less for doing the same job as a man? It's simply not true. Yet I agree that women on average will earn less then men. Let me explain.....

A man and a woman of commenserate ability, experience and education levels are going to make about the same amount for the same type of work. A male computer programmer with 9 years of experience and a degree with honors from MIT is going to make about what a female computer programmer with 9 years of experience and MIT degree would make. Their salary/bonus/benefits would likely be pretty much the same. Any variation would probably be due to one being a better negotiator.

Now, imagine that the female programmer decides to have a child, gets pregnant, quits her job halfway thru her pregnancy and takes a year off from work after giving birth to be a stay at home Mom. If she decides to go back to work after a year or two out of the workforce she probably isn't going to be at the same income level as the man I described in the previous paragraph because he now has a few years on her in terms of experience. Perhaps her old job has been filled and she will be forced to start over at an entry level position.

Men, in general are going to have fewer gaps in their employment because most women are going to miss at least some time for child birth/child raising. Women in general will also miss more time due to health reasons. Therefore it stands to reason that the average man is going to make more than the average woman.

However, the notion that equally qualified and tenured men and women are paid differently solely by the virtue of their gender is absurd. I'm sure that this was true several years ago but anyone operating that way in 2010 would be sued into bankruptcy so fast your head would spin.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:46 PM

6,564 posts, read 4,966,528 times
Quote:
...Women now comprise more than 50% of the work force in industrialized countries, and at last count, 49.9% of all workers in the USA...

Are Women becoming the slaves of the 21st Century?
Yes they are. But that's only the half of it.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:50 AM

2,199 posts, read 1,428,760 times
This does not sound like a jtur post because it is stupid.

If the post has any merit, women enslave themselves. Most women must have kids and a house, but these things are very expensive. Factor in no husbands and/or a 50% divorce rate and they are often on their own struggling to make ends meet.

I think men are much more measured and realistic about what they can afford and follow thru on. Even on the job, if a man knows he sucks at his job, he will get a new one (or just quit) because he has too much pride. Women will keep it and do the minimum while they leave early every day to care for the kids. Which leads to a stagnant pay check of course.

This is related to a very important, rarely talked about result of women's liberation and ascension. An overreaching society that wants more than it merits.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:20 AM

38,729 posts, read 34,398,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
This does not sound like a jtur post because it is stupid.
The post was a question, asking you to interpret the relevance of three indisputable facts.

Didn't you ever have the good luck to have a teacher who wrote on the blackboard the first day of school "There Are No Stupid Questions?"

In spite of the "stupid question", you went on to do exactly what it asked you to do. Not very convincingly, but you tried.

Then you said women have to work because of the divorce rate. As though that were a self-evident cause-and-effect, and not the other way around. Are you sure working women were not the cause of the divorce rate?

Did women have to go to work because their husbands abandoned them? Or did women abandon their husbands because they could earn for themselves? Or do you think there are no working wives, and women only join the work force when they have to to support themselves as abandoned single moms? Oh, another stupid question, right?

If you don't like the topic, move on to the next one.

Last edited by jtur88; 01-13-2010 at 08:30 AM..

Old 01-13-2010, 08:27 AM

28,756 posts, read 16,741,225 times
Quote:

Well in my case I work, raise my kids and take care of everything because I'm a single dad. I can speak from first hand experience that the whole "Murphy Brown" phenomenon that you don't need a hubby (or wife) involved is utter and complete BULL****. Life is immeasuably more difficult raising kids alone.

P.S. Your assumptions denigrate those that perform manual labor and other vital but non-college functions like operating heavy machinery, plumbing, construction etc.

Your other conclusions are disjointed.

I would say that the "Myth" has allowed many deadbeat males to procreate without having gainful employment or other redeeming features and then move on. These sperm donors are being enabled by many of the women you matyred above....I ran across many in the dating pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates