Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 09:31 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,223,727 times

Advertisements

Education by whom? I missed that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 09:37 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
Education by whom? I missed that.
well we built schools and people from the town would teach

Old 01-16-2010, 10:26 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,337,523 times
How evolved a society or country is at any given time, is relative to which "school of thought" is currently dominant.

If we take a historical look at things instead of our regular Imperialistic, white "our way is the right way" look at things, we might be a little bit more humble.

Either way, you can't force development, you can merely aid it, an when you do, it's important to aid it in a way that works with local traditions.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:33 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
US occupation of Haiti ended in 1934. According to Wikipedia,

Scholars agree that Haiti was in much better shape after the occupation than before, but some accuse the US of estabishing a "shaky" foundation that left the country with a doomed financial structure. This was due to a 1922 $40 million loan owed to the US as well as the country's national treasury and to the Banque Nationale owned by a New York bank. The result was a financial system that siphoned the country's wealth to offshore creditors instead of reinvesting it in the country's economy.

These are the kinds of things that keep pushing you backwards, making it almost impossible to recover from. To quote the old song, Haiti owed its soul to the company store.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:19 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,533,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt Macklin View Post
Never mind the simple thought. But to more pressing issues...

Christopher Columbus discovered the United States?

... 2 responses, several views and nobody caught this?

Of course I caught it. I thought I would let the politically correct have the honor of addressing it.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:38 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,599,850 times
Evolved? Gee, that's not patronizing. All countries evolve. Unless they've ceased to be an identifiable country.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:29 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
One country lacked many natural resources and had a history of occupation and enslavement. Maybe a comparison of Haitian natives and Native Americans would be more appropriate.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:08 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
How evolved a society or country is at any given time, is relative to which "school of thought" is currently dominant.

If we take a historical look at things instead of our regular Imperialistic, white "our way is the right way" look at things, we might be a little bit more humble.

Either way, you can't force development, you can merely aid it, an when you do, it's important to aid it in a way that works with local traditions.
we should teach them basics and help them rebuild but we will just observe and offer help if they get stuck so they can learn how as they go and that way we don't just do it for them because they will not learn anything and if they are involved they will feel a sense of pride to rebuild your own home and help others do the same. we could show them how to build there homes that can with tand a quake or a hurricane cause we know how to do it

Old 01-17-2010, 08:15 AM

19 posts, read 35,172 times
IMHO, I think the better question would be:

why do we think all countries should be just like us?

Old 01-17-2010, 08:20 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
well we built schools and people from the town would teach
So why didn't they do that or why didn't they figure out that's what they needed to do? You know, I'm with you on education but why do some places put more emphasis on it to advance their countries and others less. I'm not just talking about the last 50 - 100 years, either.

I'm not a feminist but, some of these countries are missing half of their potential brainpower by not educating their females. I just wonder why they haven't figured it out or those that did, why it took so long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates