Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 10:20 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times

Advertisements

Only because it's in the news right now, I was thinking of Haiti and the United States. They both were discovered by Columbus in 1492. If you consider 1492, year 0 for both countries, why is it taking Haiti so much longer to evolve/progress? I'm talking in every way, including technologically. Why do we talk about sending men to the moon and they talk about toilets. You don't even have to compare one country to another country. Look at Iraq and how old they are? Is their civilization really that much different than it was a hundred years ago? Why is Iraq so different from Qatar or Kuwait, for example? I'm thinking some of you might point to differences in resources or wars but look at Israel. They are the only place in the region that doesn't seem to have any oil and they're always involved in war and unrest and yet they have more modern conveniences than some nearby countries that have been in existence a lot longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 10:31 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Could it be because they were a slave country, and didn't have any major source of natural resources?

Old 01-15-2010, 10:31 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,927,572 times
I think it's kind of snowball effect that slows everything down.

A combination of corruption, lack of education, no emphasis placed on the well-being of its citizens, etc.

I think that many would say that the US is less 'evolved' than countries such as The Netherlands, Norway, Switzerland, etc. depending on how you look at it (as in more liberal, progressive, healthier societies). Also, as an atheist, I would say that religion or religious societies have a tendency to be a bit more "backward" than those that aren't. Of course--I know anyone that's religious would disagree with me, and that's OK.

Interesting thing to think about...

Old 01-16-2010, 01:15 AM

11 posts, read 29,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
...I was thinking of Haiti and the United States. They both were discovered by Columbus in 1492. If you consider 1492, year 0 for both countries, why is it taking Haiti so much longer to evolve/progress?
Never mind the simple thought. But to more pressing issues...

Christopher Columbus discovered the United States?

... 2 responses, several views and nobody caught this?

Old 01-16-2010, 01:24 AM

4,474 posts, read 5,411,259 times
Quote:
Only because it's in the news right now, I was thinking of Haiti and the United States. They both were discovered by Columbus in 1492. If you consider 1492, year 0 for both countries, why is it taking Haiti so much longer to evolve/progress? I'm talking in every way, including technologically. Why do we talk about sending men to the moon and they talk about toilets. You don't even have to compare one country to another country. Look at Iraq and how old they are? Is their civilization really that much different than it was a hundred years ago? Why is Iraq so different from Qatar or Kuwait, for example? I'm thinking some of you might point to differences in resources or wars but look at Israel. They are the only place in the region that doesn't seem to have any oil and they're always involved in war and unrest and yet they have more modern conveniences than some nearby countries that have been in existence a lot longer.
How long was Haiti a colony as compared to the US?

And the ME is a different ball-of-wax, IMHO. There you are talking about the stagnation of culture in the extremism of organized religion, as well as the effects of colonialism.

Christianity went through it's Age of Enlightenment, which broke the power of the Church over the populace and culture. With Islam it is only a matter of time before they go through their own Age that will break the power of the Mosque. After that, I believe, we will see a rapid evolution of ME culture as well.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:26 AM

4,474 posts, read 5,411,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt Macklin View Post
Never mind the simple thought. But to more pressing issues...

Christopher Columbus discovered the United States?

... 2 responses, several views and nobody caught this?
Some people are able to take things as stated in context, and overlook small nitpicky examples of historical innacuracies.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:58 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
How long was Haiti a colony as compared to the US?
Ans: 15 more years. Haiti until 1804, USA until 1789.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:32 AM

324 posts, read 573,378 times
This is fun! Political correctness (or brainwashed minds) is not allowing most of the people in this country to state the simple and true answer to OP's question "why is it taking Haiti so much longer to evolve/progress?"

Old 01-16-2010, 08:35 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,223,727 times
Quote:
Haiti has all of the knowledge of how the game is played and none of the luxuries. A man owns a bicycle and has an accident. A surgery could fix the leg. The man can't pay. It is cheaper to take the leg off then have the surgery. The doctor must still make money or lose what he has. What didn't he get?

Jean Bertrand-Aristide was ELECTED the first time. The first "FREE ELECTION" The US willingly, consciously, knowingly supported the coup. They then went and got him and supported him. Haiti is a playground. It always has been. NOBODY turns around and looks at Haiti.............unless your looking like you own them.

Kuwait, is England's very last, very little foot, into the ME. It was Kuwait that was drilling SIDEWAYS into Iraq. Saddam, asked twice, and then said, "'Cuz, that ain't going to get it." And then the country that had the best educational system and the BEST medical care in the ME was willingly, intentionally, knowingly destroyed. The US single handedly destroyed an affluent society and made sure that as many people as possible acquired cancer. Just in case you don't give a crap----that means our guys, too. Qatar has massive problems but they also know how to play the game.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:23 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
Quote:
education plays a huge role but you missed the real reason they did not progress

Last edited by GTOlover; 01-16-2010 at 09:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates