Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 05:00 PM

490 posts, read 1,787,766 times

Advertisements

I don't agree with Haiti and DR being alike. They are very different and should never be confused. As I said on another thread, Haiti was settled by the French who then brought tons of African slaves. It seems the French didn't share their culture or knowledge with these people. They were only used as slaves to do chores and work in sugar cane fields. DR's side was settled by the Spanish. I am not speaking in favor of the Spanish, they have their own huge faults, but they did leave an architecture, a language and a means to acquire knowledge: DR had the first university of the Americas. These colonizations happened a long time ago but they marked the start of two countries and one (Haiti's) had less advantage than the other. The French and the people that are know now as Haitians didn't blend in very well. In DR, Spanish, Africans and others blended somewhat better. There was less slavery in the Dominican colony. Even today, Spain has a presence in DR. They invest in the country and many of the major businesses are owned by Spanish-Dominicans.

Haiti's lack of support from other nations has a role in their progress (or lack of). DR has always been a very open supporter of the US and other countries in Latin America thus they receive support back. Remember that most of America, not counting the US and Brazil, speaks Spanish which makes relations with other Latin American countries easier.

So, Haiti and DR are very different and the reasons why one is better off than the other are several: a difficult start in history as a slave colony, lack of education of the first settlers, a geography prone to hurricanes and floods, too much political unrest, and a culture marked by violence in which too many do not care for each other.

Just my personal POV.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:01 PM

68 posts, read 92,287 times
Foreign policy. Basically since Haiti declared indepence it has other countries basically try to dictate their internal affairs thus causing it to be politically unstable in the long run. (Imagine how stable america would be if the queen of england was still trying to tell americans who should represent them). Thus the result is DR is more stable and stablity allows investment.

Other than that I can' think of any explanation. Its kind like saying why is Cuba messed up and Jamaica besides it high crime rate is basically paradise?

Old 01-17-2010, 08:06 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Maybe the same way North and South Korea can be so different.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:17 PM

119 posts, read 379,739 times
H= unstable gov, economy controlled by 3 or 4 families, constant threat of military intervention, lack of investment in infrastructure (including education)
DR= stable gov (compared to H), economy much more broad-based, military not as much of a threat, more investment in infrastructure
however, if you are a poor citizen of either country, then your primary goal is to leave as there are few if any opportunities to climb up the economic ladder

Old 01-18-2010, 08:41 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,419,003 times
I saw the link to this article on the CraigsList Haiti Earthquake Resources page. Thought it was pretty interesting:

A divided island: the forces working against Haiti

Why does Haiti have it so tough compared with its neighbour, the Dominican Republic? Jared Diamond explains...

A divided island: the forces working against Haiti | World news | The Guardian

Old 01-19-2010, 07:17 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
One intreresting aspect of Haiti is it lack of a fishery. Haitians eat only about 5 pounds of fish per year, one-seventh of the global average. In spite of its insular situation, the fishery in Haiti has never been developed.

http://bycatch.env.duke.edu/regions/Caribbean/Haiti.pdf

Average fish consumption in Haiti is surprisingly low:
North America, 50 pounds per capita per year
Global = 35
Mexico, Cuba, Dominican Republic = about 25 each
Guyana = 50
Haiti = 5

It would appear that an extremely modest investment in a domestic fishery in Haiti would significantly improve the ability of the people to feed themselves.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:06 AM

5 posts, read 11,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I've been there, and honestly, the DR and Haiti are NOT that much different. In fact I can tell you, first hand, why all their buildings collapsed in this earth quake.

However, I would have to say the main difference is what decades of different types of government have done to each country's morale, wealth and infrastructure.
Haiti and DR not that different???

Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic:

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/3313/dibujonrx.jpg (broken link)

I don't need to put pictures of Haiti.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:44 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
I saw the link to this article on the CraigsList Haiti Earthquake Resources page. Thought it was pretty interesting:

A divided island: the forces working against Haiti

Why does Haiti have it so tough compared with its neighbour, the Dominican Republic? Jared Diamond explains...

A divided island: the forces working against Haiti | World news | The Guardian
Jared Diamond is full of crap, and writes primarily for the purpose of hearing himself talk - as evidenced by his drone-tome "Collapse."

The principle differences between Haiti and the DR are NOT environmental. That is asinine.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:45 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtroy View Post
Haiti and DR not that different???

Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic:

I don't need to put pictures of Haiti.
Ummmm... You do need to be aware of the fact that Santo Domingo is NOT representative of the rest of the DR. Also, one of the primary drivers of the economy in the capital city is TOURISM. Foreign dollars.

If you'd like more honest and accurate pictures, perhaps I can dredge up some of mine that were taken in Santiago, or out in the mountains.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:01 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,535,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Jared Diamond is full of crap, and writes primarily for the purpose of hearing himself talk - as evidenced by his drone-tome "Collapse."

The principle differences between Haiti and the DR are NOT environmental. That is asinine.
Really. The Wikipedia list of his awards and honors--

1961–1965 Prize Fellowship in Physiology, Trinity College, Cambridge, England
1968–1971 Lederle Medical Faculty Award
1972 Distinguished Teaching Award, UCLA Medical Class
1973 Distinguished Teaching Award, UCLA Medical Class
1975 Distinguished Achievement Award, American Gastroenterological Association
1976 Kaiser Permanente/Golden Apple Teaching Award
1976 Nathaniel Bowditch Prize, American Physiological Society
1978 American Ornithologists Union, elected fellow
1979 Franklin L. Burr Award, National Geographic Society
1985 MacArthur Foundation “Genius” Grant
1989 Archie Carr Medal
1990 MacArthur Foundation Fellow
1992 Tanner Lecturer, University of Utah and many other endowed lectureships
1992 Rhône-Poulenc Prize for Science Books for The Third Chimphanzee[3]
1992 Los Angeles Times Science Book Prize[4]
1993 Zoological Society of San Diego Conservation Medal
1994 Skeptics Society, Randi Award
1995 Honorary doctor of literature, Sejong University, Korea
1996 Faculty Research Lecturer, UCLA
1997 Phi Beta Kappa Science Book Prize for Guns, Germs and Steel
1998 Pulitzer Prize for Guns, Germs and Steel
1998 Elliott Coues Award, American Ornithologists' Union
1998 California Book Awards, Gold Medal in nonfiction for Guns, Germs and Steel
1998 Aventis Prize for Science Books for Guns, Germs and Steel[3]
1998 International Cosmos Prize[1]
1999 Lannan Literary Award for Nonfiction
2001 Tyler Prize for Environmental Achievement
2002 Lewis Thomas Prize for Writing about Science
2006 Royal Society Prize for Science Books for Collapse[3]
2006 Dickson Prize in Science
2008 Ph.D. Honoris Causa at the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium

That Pulitzer Prize and MacArthur Genius grant, in particular, kind of jump out. But do tell-- how, specifically is he "full of crap?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates