U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2010, 09:22 AM
miu miu started this thread

17,129 posts, read 34,624,910 times

Advertisements

I find this family very annoying. I'm sorry that their daughter is missing in the Haitian earthquake rubble, but what makes his daughter more important than any other human being in that mess? And days ago, when he first thought that his daughter was found and safe, he was thanking god, and saying that "god is great". Now that she is still missing, he wants Obama to search for his daughter as intensely as they did for JFK Jr. Why doesn't her father fly into Haiti and join the search and rescue efforts himself?

And I know that if his daughter is found alive, Len Gengel only going to go back to thanking god again for a miracle.

Dad: Search For Victims They Way Gov. Searched For JFK Jr. - Boston News Story - WCVB Boston (http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/22263851/detail.html - broken link)

Quote:
"We are from Massachusetts, and when President Kennedy's son's plane went down in Martha's Vineyard, we saw Coast Guard cutters, we saw everyone you could imagine tying to find that man. President Obama, what is the difference between our daughters and their fathers and John F. Kennedy Jr.? We want your help. This is the United States of America. Please, get down there and rescue our children," he said.
Anyway, I don't think that it's right for him to ask Obama for any extraordinary efforts to look for his daughter, when so many tens of thousands of other people are lost in that chaos and rubble. And when you volunteer to do charity and missionary work in a third world country, unfortunately it's at your own risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 09:31 AM

3,566 posts, read 4,619,974 times
His daughter is missing. Parents react strongly. While I enjoy many of your posts immensely, I am not seeing the debate. Is there one that I am missing?

Old 01-18-2010, 04:20 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,231,932 times
It's not that black and white. The US government has more or a responsibility to Americans than to other people, so it is reasonable for the US government to expend some additional effort toward the welfare of Americans. For example, it is reasonable for the US government to institute an airlift to fly Americans to safetyffrom a hazardous environment. However, it is UNreasonable for the US government to drop everything and ignore all other considertions in order to concentrate entirely on one American interest, when there are so many other pressing interest on the plate.

As for this particular father, rescuing living people is a great deal more important than find the bodies of dead ones. If his daughter is still alive, she is likely to survive. If she is not, finding her body quickly is of little account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or