Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 12:06 AM

5 posts, read 10,409 times

Advertisements

Religion has always played a vast role in society. Moreover, it has had a profound effect on morality. In other words, religion often justifies what is moral and immoral. It can be cultural and a value based philosophy that deters people of that particular belief from engaging in certain activities. It dictates how society should be run. This makes it the center of numerous debates among the general public. It can be difficult applying religion to certain topics because people have different views on religions. Furthermore, religious views often clash with each other. Issues that involve politics, humanities, science, education, and workplace are frequently at the core of religious debates. Given this, I am curious about how people think religious views influence our perspectives on teen pregnancy. In particular, do religious views play too strong of a role in our perspectives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 05:48 AM

597 posts, read 1,294,393 times
Teen pregnancy is not a religious problem. This is a family's problem. When the family is not well structured, bad things like that happen and others even worse.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:05 AM

42,618 posts, read 86,598,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAZILIAN View Post
Teen pregnancy is not a religious problem. This is a family's problem. When the family is not well structured, bad things like that happen and others even worse.
Everyone already knew that, even before you felt compelled to draw attention to your egotistic self with bold-face font. The question is about whether religion influences family values.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:11 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,933,446 times
I would imagine religion should. However I found it strange...I know from experience that several girls who went to a private Catholic school for High School ended up pregnant when they transferred. Could this have happened while they were in public schools? Of course but I wouldnt think you'd expect it going to a Catholic school. I'm sure this isn't the norm but it also happens more than I think people realize.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:43 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,657,363 times
On a recent Dr. Oz show he interviewed several teen age girls and their mothers. One statistic that stood out was that 75% of girls have experience intercourse before the age of 14. That contributes to anther statistic that 40% of America's children are now be reared in a single parent home. Our society no longer fears God or the threat of an eternity in hell. As for the love of God and mankind...well, that ideal as long since past. We live in a hedonistic society that cherishes pleasure regardless of the consequences. We now live in a society that doesn't have the morals or ethics of a band of monkeys. The last abortion rate stat I saw was 3800 a day. That's right 3800 a day.....unborn human babies being dumped as medical waste and incinerated just like a cancer or an amputated limb. Religion has little bearing in our current society.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:04 AM

310 posts, read 586,956 times
There is a significantly higher percentage of teen pregnancy in states with high numbers of religious (christian) believers. So yes, religion does have an effect on teen pregnancy--it INCREASES it.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:11 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,571,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvenie View Post
There is a significantly higher percentage of teen pregnancy in states with high numbers of religious (christian) believers. So yes, religion does have an effect on teen pregnancy--it INCREASES it.
Do you have evidence of that? I've heard that religious/non-religious doesn't make much difference, but I've not heard that there are more teen pregnancies in more religious states.

I'm also kind of suspicious of the statistic that 75% of girls have had sexual intercourse by the age of 14. That sounds startlingly high. (I know you're not the one who mentioned that.)

Old 02-10-2010, 11:27 AM

310 posts, read 586,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Do you have evidence of that? I've heard that religious/non-religious doesn't make much difference, but I've not heard that there are more teen pregnancies in more religious states.

I'm also kind of suspicious of the statistic that 75% of girls have had sexual intercourse by the age of 14. That sounds startlingly high. (I know you're not the one who mentioned that.)
Yes. The Journal of Reproductive Health had an article in September of 2009 which stated that there is a strong correlation between the level of religiosity in a state and the level of teen pregnancy. It was higher than states with fewer religious believers. My thoughts on this are that believers withhold crucial information regarding birth control from their children, instead blindly assuming that abstinence is the only answer.

Kids have sex, it's a fact. I did, my kids did, your kids do or will. Why not cover the bases and allow them the proper info to protect themselves?

Old 02-10-2010, 11:31 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,205,030 times
Teenage Birth Rates Higher In More Religious States

Old 02-10-2010, 12:23 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,571,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
Thank you. The link you cited had a link to the actual studies.

It makes sense - on one level - that the more religious communities (especially if they are Catholic) will have higher rates of teen pregnancy. The Catholic Church has always had a policy forbidding the use of contraceptives.

I don't think it means Catholic kids are having sex more often than non-Catholic (or non-religious), but aren't as apt to use contraceptives.

That I can believe.

I'd also be curious to know what other determining factors are involved. I'd bet that these more "deeply religious" states also happen to be the extremely poor states - such as Mississippi. And I sense that that, too, is complicit in the higher rates of teen pregnancy.

I'm also curious to know the number of teen pregnancies versus the number of teen births in various states. More religious states are apt to find teens not terminating their pregnancies by abortions, where more non-religious states might find a much higher rate of abortion-ended teen pregnancies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates