Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 03:50 AM

871 posts, read 1,630,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Emotionally and physically--yes, they are. A 14-year old aborigine is considered a man--and acts like a man. Whereas American men in their 20's [and sometimes even beyond that] do not act with maturity, like men.
lol..and aborigines just have such an advanced culture, don't they?

you aren't proving anything in your favor.

people being forced to do or live a certain way is not necessarily maturity. their lives are rather simple anyways. women are barefoot and pregnant and men do some hunting. and no, this is not necessarily a sign of maturity. there is not much there to consider to define how mature someone is unless living in a more complex society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 05:22 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,319,232 times
Quote:
Emotionally and physically--yes, they are. A 14-year old aborigine is considered a man--and acts like a man. Whereas American men in their 20's [and sometimes even beyond that] do not act with maturity, like men.
I guess being able to procreate and throw a spear makes someone mature? I have boys, and they would love to do both of those things, but they are not ready to be a father. Yes, they are old enough to father a child, but to actually be a father? No, and they are 14 and 17. Also, why would you want to take away anymore of kid's childhoods than we already have by society.
Our children are exposed to so much so early they already grow up way too fast.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:45 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
Physical maturation, for the things you mentioned. But I'm also talking about EMOTIONAL maturity, something Americans are sadly deficient in. Even our so-called adults aren't all emotionally mature...especially those in their 20's. But you can see it even in 40-year olds...

Old 02-09-2010, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory00 View Post
lol..and aborigines just have such an advanced culture, don't they?

you aren't proving anything in your favor.

people being forced to do or live a certain way is not necessarily maturity. their lives are rather simple anyways. women are barefoot and pregnant and men do some hunting. and no, this is not necessarily a sign of maturity. there is not much there to consider to define how mature someone is unless living in a more complex society.

So to be mature you have to party hard, drink a lot, and crash your car? You have to live with mom and dad until you're 40? How is the Western world more mature, or better, than these simple people? They reach a higher level of maturity earlier than Americans, and that's simple fact.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:24 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,785,756 times
Soon women will discover what many men already know.....You can't have it all......You can't take it with you....and what you choose to do now determines largely what you will be doing later. Many things in life are based on the foundations you build early on.

I'm a middle aged man. Never married, no children. I've come to realize that marriage and family are increasingly unlikely for me....and much of this is the result of my career. Always away from home, traveling for work has meant little to no opportunity to "find" the "one" or "date". I honestly believe that children deserve, need young parents (mid 20's to mid 30's). If I were to be blessed with fatherhood TODAY...I'd be in my mid fifties by the time my child was ten....and in my sixties by the time they were twenty. That's a huge gap in physical abilities, mentality, emotions, history. I'll have little in common with this child and relating will be difficult. In short it will not be very fair to the child. Other kids would have busy active parents.

Yes...it IS difficult NOT to feel sorry for oneself when it comes to issues like this. All of these things strike right to the heart of some very emotional parts of our soul....and such things just don't respond to the worldly rationale so often touted as the "best way of life".

You spend your life working....to enjoy your retirement.....but find that you're too old and too tired to enjoy it.... You enjoy life now....and put off advanced education and the high-paying desk job...only to find younger people beat you to the board room and no one hires "gray-hairs" as fast as the young buck fresh out of school...

Life seems cruel sometimes people...it just is....You will not be young and limber, fresh and hot and attractive and sharp and aggressively go-getter business oriented forever...

Life is often a cold and senseless calculus....so you need to find happiness and fulfillment in realistic ways that accommodate who you are at any particular moment. There are immeasurable joys in simple things....in life that can be found in the most overlooked places and the most relegated beliefs rejected by those in too much of a hurry.
You race through life, ever reaching for the carrot on a stick just out of grasp....only to find that you'll end up tired at the finish line with little reward.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:34 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
FMLA is pretty much a federal thing--offered in EVERY job.
I should have stated paid maternity leave.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:26 PM

Ah. I wouldn't know. I don't believe a person should be paid if they're not working (e.g. vacations?)

Old 02-09-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Ah. I wouldn't know. I don't believe a person should be paid if they're not working (e.g. vacations?)
Well, medical leave, health insurance, paid vacations, etc are apart of a person's salary/benefits package.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:03 PM

I have no use for any compensation other than hourly. If I'm not working, I see no reason to be paid. I do not take paid breaks at work, only the unpaid one I am required to take...and only because I am required to take it, by law. I figure if I'm getting paid, I should be working for it.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
I have no use for any compensation other than hourly. If I'm not working, I see no reason to be paid. I do not take paid breaks at work, only the unpaid one I am required to take...and only because I am required to take it, by law. I figure if I'm getting paid, I should be working for it.
Those are the differences between hourly and salary. It all works out in the end...in the company's favor, I'm sure lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates