Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 04:15 AM

46 posts, read 177,975 times

Advertisements

1 france
2 australia
3 switzerland
4 Germany

etc.............

why france

because medicare healthcare, VACATION(A lot), we can strike as much as we want and not to be afraid to be fired. the nap is allowed, lunch for 1 or 2 hours is okay
retirement
35 years for military(if you want) , 50 for ingeneer(train) policeman etc....
you don't have to save money, it's done by the boss or government, etc........

link
2010 Quality of Life Index
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 06:35 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Like all other charts like this, it is based entirely on crunching statistical data from easily accessible sources, without any input from anybody who has ever actually been on the ground in any of those countries. Read the section on where they got their numbers. For cost of living, for example, it is based on the US State department's factors to determine how much it costs to live as you do in America---i.e., and American car with AC, and a house with 2.5 bathrooms. In some countries, such a standard is horribly expensive, but living quite comfortably just below that standard is ridiculously cheap.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:14 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
But as the presdient of france recenty said their system actaully discouarges work. I wold bet those unemployed don't thnik so when what we have at 10% is good times and the unemployment rate for tose under 30 runs 25%. You can live on the state in this country ;have free government housing;medicaid;food stamps ;welfare incomeand you can even work and collect alot including unearned income. Like there you just have top be willing to not make a salary and live i the better palces but you can work at jobs ehre that actaully give you more for your labor by reduced cost of housing especailly the type of housing.Everyhtig is subjective really o what is the best country. Most americans do not what to live that way and wish to have more chocie on what they live like ;what carsanfhow many they can enjoy;want a much large house etc.Dfieerent strokes for different folks.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:14 AM

631 posts, read 1,290,215 times
You won't get a lot of people on here agreeing that France is a good place to live - but your life expectancy is higher, so you must be doing something right. While you can make arguments comparing the cost of living in US and France, the fact remains that in France you get like 6 weeks of paid vacation, can retire at 55 with full pension, healthcare, shorter workdays / longer lunches, amazing job security if you have one, free college, etc. I would sure as hell rather be living in France right now...

Old 01-31-2010, 09:22 AM

It's interesting that all those south Pacific islands have the worst climate in the world.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:12 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times
I'll stay in the United States.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:40 PM

25,690 posts, read 18,773,845 times
I've heard good things about Chile. I've heard their standard of living and economy has gone from night to day because they have discovered the notion of freedom (thus jettisoning them from their rather painful past).

Old 01-31-2010, 01:58 PM

12 posts, read 20,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchie View Post
1 france
2 australia
3 switzerland
4 Germany

etc.............

why france

because medicare healthcare, VACATION(A lot), we can strike as much as we want and not to be afraid to be fired. the nap is allowed, lunch for 1 or 2 hours is okay
retirement
35 years for military(if you want) , 50 for ingeneer(train) policeman etc....
you don't have to save money, it's done by the boss or government, etc........

link
[URL="http://www.internationalliving.com/Internal-Components/Further-Resources/quality-of-life-2010"]2010 Quality of Life Index[/URL]
Well it depends what you want in life, if you have no desire to get ahead in life, no desire to do anything with your life and you just want to get money from the gov't and live off other people and have no morality or sense of personal responsibility then sure why not move to france.

However if you want a job, 30% unemployment for those under 30, no or little opportunity for immigrants, violent race riots in the streets of Paris

You think being forced to retire at age 35 or 50 is a good thing, which I think reflects a big difference b/w you and me. You might value not working but I value working, to each his own. But to make blanket statements like france is better than america or other countries just because you live a certain way is not nice.

Realize there are still some people in the world who do not want welfare, who do not want the gov't controlling their health, or telling them how much and when they can work.

France is a country where you can survive easily, but USA is a country where you have the potential to make it.

There are americans who if they get lucky can make a few songs like mombo #5 or you know you get and make millions and neevr have to work again.

Old 01-31-2010, 02:18 PM

25,690 posts, read 18,773,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookerTea View Post
Well it depends what you want in life, if you have no desire to get ahead in life, no desire to do anything with your life and you just want to get money from the gov't and live off other people and have no morality or sense of personal responsibility then sure why not move to france.

However if you want a job, 30% unemployment for those under 30, no or little opportunity for immigrants, violent race riots in the streets of Paris

You think being forced to retire at age 35 or 50 is a good thing, which I think reflects a big difference b/w you and me. You might value not working but I value working, to each his own. But to make blanket statements like france is better than america or other countries just because you live a certain way is not nice.

Realize there are still some people in the world who do not want welfare, who do not want the gov't controlling their health, or telling them how much and when they can work.

France is a country where you can survive easily, but USA is a country where you have the potential to make it.

There are americans who if they get lucky can make a few songs like mombo #5 or you know you get and make millions and neevr have to work again.
I can agree with most of what you've written. I wouldn't want to live in France for the same reasons you've stated--I don't want to be 'forcibly pampered.' On the other hand, I can't cast my vote for the USA being the best country to live in either, simply because of something else you've alluded to: making it. We are far too obsessed with 'making it.' More, more, more. I hate that aspect of our culture. Although originally it was not the case, the current structure of our society/government discourages simple living. Simple living is often regulated away.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I've heard good things about Chile. I've heard their standard of living and economy has gone from night to day because they have discovered the notion of freedom (thus jettisoning them from their rather painful past).
No, it's because of their notion of credit. Everyone ran out and borrowed all they could get and spent it. The number cars on the road nearly doubled in the two years that I lived there. The notion of freedom was pretty well assured once they got rid of the American puppet Hitler-wannabe, Pinochet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates