Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 11:15 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,674,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
No, but the man that you give a paycheck to on Friday, put a service back into the system to earn his money.

The Welfare guy, just took my money, that I would have spent on something for me, and put in the economy, and did nothing to receive it.

The corporations are at least giving something back.
Welfare dollars are spent, right down to the last penny of the recipients allotment. Welfare Dollars that go to corporate interests are often parked overseas, hidden from the prying eyes of the tax man. The final resting place of all public monies to the poor end up in the tills of private commerce. Take the total of all ADC type welfare dollars away from the GDP and see who yells the loudest, the poor man or the business man.

When our government give millions to buy some special hammers for the space missions we are OK with that, private enterprise military contractors return some of that dough back to the workers, but the Lions share is siphoned off for the large body of shareholders and corporate managers.

The huge profits that our government underwrites for the benefit of private enterprise includes a ton of graft and outright theft, the man or woman on welfare can't write their own ticket in the way that business does, let alone pay someone in the government to put a little more in their check next time, that being the standard in a lot of contract government work.

You are paying too much in taxes because the boys on top won't pay theirs not because of some deprived soul living on the meager handout from uncle sugar. Don't ask about corporate welfare here, it's up to you to decide the real culprit in the mugging of our economy, I didn't see Obama giving the welfare guy the big bucks, he gave it to some Wall street types who ate your lunch, my lunch, and the welfare guy's lunch. That's corporate welfare......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 08:03 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,354,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Woo now, I was unemployed in 2003. I went to school for the next two years, got a good job, making excellent money. I pulled myself up, and went to school to make something of myself.

It would have been very easy just to live off of the government forever, but thats not the type of person I am.

I simply see that anyone can make it, with hard work. Some people simply lack the motivation to work, when they are living on the government tit.

If, the only way you can get that tit, is to work, you will do that, or go hungry. People would work then.
I am wondering if you were schitophrenic, for instance, at the time you "pulled yourself up by your bootsraps"? It is true that most of the homeless are significantly mentally ill!

Old 02-08-2010, 08:25 AM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
As others have noted there are many, many reasons for homelessness. The saddest, perhaps, are the military vets who are suffering from PTSD. They are our national shame, IMHO.

And the families with children. They break my heart.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:12 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
The only welfare that will never get cut is the gross amponts of money given to our military supply and financial industries. Both demand an ever increasing part of our economies amd, as neither actually produce anything productive, they will cause ius to go broke.

Cutting off funds to the homeless, single mothers and disabled Veteran's would be easy by comparison.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:34 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
----single mohers--

It doesn't bug me that many single mothers live off welfare.

It bugs me when they ridicule their kids classmates for not wearing expensive , brand name clothes, however. !

Old 02-10-2010, 07:07 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times
Wasn't that how communism was supposed to be? Human nature is why it wont work.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:13 PM

116 posts, read 83,866 times
Let's be realistic here, no individual in their right mind would "choose" to live the life of a homeless person. In other words, it's pretty much safe to assume that the majority of them suffer from some sort of mental illness, whether genetic or as a result of traumatic events in their lives (e.g. being a veteran or the victim of childhood abuse). It is not a life that a sane, rational person who is just "lazy" would choose to live. It is an awful, degrading experience and many of them abuse drugs or alcohol because that's basically all they have.

It really doesn't hurt to try to imagine what it's like walking in someone else's shoes, but the easy option is to just look down on people and judge them.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:53 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,829,848 times
Even though they both receive “welfare”, there is a big difference between the schizophrenic homeless guy lying drunk in his cardboard box, and the family on welfare piling into their car to go shopping at the mall.

Both cases can be classified as “non-productive” and a financial drain on society, but that doesn’t mean they should be treated in the same way.

Nor does it mean that possible solutions for one situation can be successfully applied to other situations.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:14 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revol100 View Post
Let's be realistic here, no individual in their right mind would "choose" to live the life of a homeless person.
Actually, that is not true. I have known several people who have done exactly that.

The difference, however, is that they weren't perpetually homeless for long periods of time. They were college age, and right out of college, and just decided to live as vagrants for awhile.

They said that it was extremely profitable financially. And weirdly enough, they found the most profitable cities to live in were New Orleans and Las Vegas. I have no idea why those two cities...

Old 02-12-2010, 04:36 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revol100 View Post
Let's be realistic here, no individual in their right mind would "choose" to live the life of a homeless person. .
That is very far from the truth. Tonight, hundreds, maybe thousands of people just like you and me will be sleeping on beaches in Hawaii. Wondering why any individuals in their right minds would "choose" to get up hours before daylight Monday morning and shovel their car out of snow and commute to an inbox of mindless tasks in a cubicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates