Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 12:05 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillman View Post
I considerd suicide several times before I found the Lord and now I don't consider it an option.
I have a question for you, then. How well did you research suicide methods? Would you have known how to do it successfully? Did you check into which drugs would work, where the gunshot would have to go, exactly how to cut an artery, which gasses would cause death? Of did you just think you could grab a bottle of ibuprofins and swallow them, or fire a .22 between your eyes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 12:18 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I have a question for you, then. How well did you research suicide methods? Would you have known how to do it successfully? Did you check into which drugs would work, where the gunshot would have to go, exactly how to cut an artery, which gasses would cause death? Of did you just think you could grab a bottle of ibuprofins and swallow them, or fire a .22 between your eyes?
I don't know if I'm following the bread crumbs in the right direction, but do you think it's a good idea for someone in a crisis who is in enough of a rush not to research effective methods to have access to an assured means of self-destruction?

Old 02-12-2010, 12:28 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,196,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
12Ga. has a way of working very well,makes it harder with Loved ones there talking to you.Which lets you think.

I take enough Pain Meds that I wouldn't have a problem with them.Even the dang ER almost killed me one time by accident,not listening to me.

Last time I lost a Granddaughter,Sister and suvived a Bad Storm that distroyed Towns and killed several People all this happen within a month,just more than I could handle.

hillman

Old 02-12-2010, 12:37 PM

I might add year ago I was very sick and dealing with possible Incurable Cancer.It was worrying me as to the things I would miss and how unfair it was.Then rethought this I have done about all I could do in this life,a great many have died much younger how in the hell am I more special?

Then the Doctor ran some test this year,because of changes I had made I was healing and no sign of Cancer Yes I was very Happy I was going to continue unless something else was to take me.

hillman

Old 02-12-2010, 12:43 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,355,355 times
I think jtur88 has it pretty much correct here. . . I think that in the case of a young healthy person, every attempt should be made to diagnose and treat any mental illness that may be making life unbearable. Where ill, dissabled or the elderly are concerned, they should be able to discuss this with their physicians, and obtain product that will allow them to exit painlessly, and in their own time, if desired.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:49 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revol100 View Post
How do you feel about the issue of suicide? I know it's often a taboo subject, but it is a subject deserving of debate.

My opinion is that suicide should not only be legal, but it should also be a viable option for those who simply wish to "opt out" of life. I feel that as an individual, you should have the right to self-terminate, if you choose to do so.

Many people who suffer from incurable physical illnesses may choose to end their lives. Until we can cure their illnesses, why not just grant them their wishes?

Let's talk about mental illness too, which is still stigmatized, even in the 21st century. While many people with mental illnesses can live out relatively normal (or even successful) lives, others are condemned to a life of suffering, without any form of cure or understanding. Many of these people have sound minds in the sense of knowing what's right for them, but the internal turmoil they suffer is often too much for them to live out normal lives, or be functioning members of society.

I am a great believer in the right to die, if we choose to do so. If life for some people is nothing more than a miserable, tumultuous existence, why not give them the right to call it quits?

I don't expect those who have not suffered depression or anxiety to understand this. I am actually someone who has been through the kind of turmoil that often pushes people to take their own lives, so I understand where they're coming from. I would also rather choose to die (if it ever got to that point), rather than be a burden on society, especially if I had no one left to live for,

Thoughts?

I always look at suicide as my mother used to tell me,

Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:02 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I don't know if I'm following the bread crumbs in the right direction, but do you think it's a good idea for someone in a crisis who is in enough of a rush not to research effective methods to have access to an assured means of self-destruction?
My question was directed to someone who admits to having considered suicide, to try to get a handle on how well an intended researches the methods. Above posters seem to think that if one is serious, they know what they are doing, so I went to one who was serious and asked.

12-gauge might not be fair to the landlord. A person who cares about other people before death, probably cares afterwards, too.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:07 PM

1,123 posts, read 5,332,982 times
This is an interesting topic - and a forum I don't normally visit. A few weeks ago, my father made a very poor attempt at suicide. He is 79 and took 11 Tylenol PM's over the course of several hours. Turns out he is very depressed (according to a dr - really? you think?). So he made this attempt and then called me to come over.

Less than 24 hrs before this I had to tell him that I had a heart attack, but I would be fine. I had to sugar coat it for him so that he would not worry and we left his apartment and everything was fine. So he decides that he cannot live anymore - because I had a heart attack!! I am an only child and only 47 years old so I am the only one to care for him etc. I needed time to take care of my health for once, and he has now become the child again.

Someone said people that commit suicide (or attempt) are selfish. Damn straight!!!! I am still so angry at my father that my husband has actually had to take over the dr appts etc to deal with the depression. Dad's depression goes deep - mom died 6 years ago, dad stopped drinking 7 years ago and never went to AA (but he still has all the alcoholic tendencies) and I have tried so hard to take care of him since mom died. We are trying to get dad help, but so far is only barely receptive. He is on the medication, but until they really start working he refuses to leave his apartment.

I understand his suicide attempt was a call for help, but I guess I am so angry that he couldn't ask for help in a more responsible way. Then he decides to do this when my health needs my complete attention proves that he really is just selfish.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:54 PM

I almost killed myself one time by accident.Wasn't to Bad Stay up drinking and getting High all night,kill a couple Fifths of Turkey.You Black out and don't come back.

Like I say it was accident and my Mom was very POed with me and my Sister.

hillman

Old 02-12-2010, 02:34 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,549,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I always look at suicide as my mother used to tell me,

Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.
Yes, that's a cute little cliche' that gets tossed around quite a bit, but the truth is that often times the problem is far from temporary.

Take chronic illness for example. I came down with a bad case of Lyme Disease. I was told that because it was diagnosed late that it would be much more difficult to cure. I found out that it can drag on for years and in some cases becomes a permanent life long illness.

At about year three I finally reached my breaking point. The treatment wasn't working and I had no reason to believe that I would recover at all. The sheer magnitude of the suffering that I was going through cannot be properly communicated. Some things have to be experienced in order to be understood. The constant crushing fatigue and the excruciating pain led to extreme depression and anxiety. I began to contemplate suicide. There was a raging debate going on inside my head; some kind of existential tug of war. I never believed that I would ever even entertain such thoughts. Prior to the illness I loved life. I was in limbo: I did not want to die, but life simply wasn't worth living anymore.

One night I found myself sitting at the edge of my bed with a loaded pistol in my lap. I sat there staring at it for hours. It was a 357 Magnum so death was pretty much assured. I put it in my mouth several times. The truth is, the only reason that I'm still here is that I didn't have the balls to pull the trigger. I didn't see the light, God didn't speak to me, there was no grand revelation I just chickened out.

I think that the main reason most people have a hard time understanding suicide is that although they've likely experienced their fair share of adversity they have never dealt with a problem that has brought them to their knees. By the time a person is ready to die they have already struggled mightily on a physical, philosophical, and spiritual level. There has been a great deal of contemplation and soul searching. It might look spur of the moment to friends and family members, but believe me it's not. I no longer judge people who take their own lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates